Pre-match: Copa do Mundo 2018: Sérvia vs. Brasil, 27 de Junho de 2018

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Century's Best, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Bezhusan

Bezhusan Member

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    May 30, 2018
    I agree. If we had won on the back of Romario in 1998, I think we would not have won in 2002. Winning 3 world cups in a row is almost impossible, there’s a reason nobody never pulled this off.

2. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Did we ever play Rivaldo, Romario and Ronaldo at the same time?

3. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Yes, in the 3-0 vs Saudi Arabia at the 1997 Confeds. Rivaldo however came in as a sub and the goals were scored by César Sampaio and Romário (2 goals).

EDIT: all 3 started in the 2-1 vs. Germany in Stuttgart in March 1998.

4. astinus4

astinus4 Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I remember that game vs Germany. IIRC Cesar Sampaio headed the opener direct from a corner, and Ronaldo scored a late winner . Two players were sent off too - direct red card for Juergen Kohler for a horrendous tackle on Cafu, while Dunga accumulated two yellows.

5. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And Juninho Paulista and Djalminha!!

6. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Tite sticking with the same lineup. It seems Paulinho, Willian and Jesus are under the microscope to perform.

I think Tite should of made at least 1 change.

7. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Neymar practiced as a CF in training. Not sure if that will be implemented during real play time.

8. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

I think Willian was going to be the change but then got a lifeline with the Douglas Costa injury.

The early subs of Paulinho are a good sign that Tite knows he isn't performing but I will be shocked if/when he is actually benched.

Gabriel is probably closest to losing his spot this tournament. But would he give us that same off the bench spark Firmino has been giving us and is it worth it to give that up?

9. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's obviously too late to do anything about our lack of offensive options at this point due to injury, but one player I've heard mentioned serveral times is Arthur.

Why wasn't he called up? Is he injured? Didn't perform when given a chance? Inferior to the existing options? Or is it the famous prioritization of loyalty to the existing group over current good form "coerência" (read: teimosia)?

10. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    I want to believe that Arthur was injured when Tite wanted to call him. When Renato Augusto probably should of been cut was another opportunity for Tite to call him. Ultimately, he was called up once for a qualifier and not used in both games.

Tite taking these midfielders who each offer something different except creativity is one of his mistakes.

Redshift repped this.
  11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes Arthur was hurt at some point when Tite could have called him. He also blossomed only last year.

We didn't have many options in that mid-creative area to be honest. Unless you consider Luan an option, which I never did.

12. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Outside of Arthur maybe Giuliano but yeah it was slim pickings at best.

13. Bezhusan

Bezhusan Member

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    May 30, 2018
    Brazil stopped producing midfield playmakers, that is very frustating. Even an old school slow creative midfielder like Quintero would be very useful for us. James Rodriguez even more so.

In 2002 Alex wasn’t called up and I never liked him that much. Today he would start easily on this team.

Redshift, Kaka10725 and tpmazembe repped this.
  14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just pray Coutinho doesn't get hurt. His a bit fragile. He is the closest thing we have.

Redshift and Bezhusan repped this.
  15. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Continuation of the theme we've been discussing regarding the unbalanced attack:

https://globoesporte.globo.com/fute...da-selecao-apos-perda-do-midas-coutinho.ghtml

For non-Portuguese readers....
    • Tite searching for improved performance on the right side of the attack
    • Left side with Marcelo-Coutinho-Neymar benefits from short passing ability and movement of each player
    • Right side players, especially Paulinho and Willian, are more strength and speed inclined
    • Offensive output against first two opponents
      • Switzerland -- Left 44% / Right 27%
      • Costa Rica -- Left 46% / Right 29%
    The article doesn't mention what exactly they plan do about this.

Redshift repped this.
  16. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Maybe, Tite have Coutinho drift to to right on occasion to combine with Willian.

If Willian is on form for this game, then it’s a non issue IMO.

17. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In 2006 too. Don't even get me started on that. :p

Mengão86 and Bezhusan repped this.
  18. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We turn out meia-attacantes, but not meia-armadores. What I wouldn't give for a modern, non-chain-smoking Gerson.

Bezhusan and old_carioca_in_nyc repped this.
  19. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #44 samuel_clemens, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Football logic dictates that if you want a Pirlo type midfielder , you need Maldini type fullbacks. The choice we made post-82 was to maintain offensive fullbacks and use the 2 "cabecas the area" system. Should we reverse that or go back to 1982 system with both alas AND deep lying playmakers? personally I wouldn't mind if we tried that.

20. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's a shame cause he won 2 Copa America's with Brazil and he even captained the 2004 team

21. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I hear Miranda is going to be captain today!!:(

22. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    LOL at your emoji. I think he'll be a good captain. Was my pick for the entire tournament.

23. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Finishing second isn’t looking all that bad at the moment but it’s too risky. I want a win.

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This is the most dangerous final group match I’ve experienced. Wouldn’t mind getting some breaks to calm the nerves .

25. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Globo showing live locker room talk. Marcelo asking for "patience with the ball" several times. "Intelligence" several times. "second ball is more important than 1st ball". "attention in bola parada"