Pre-match: Copa do Mundo 2018, Quartas-de-Final: Brasil vs. Bélgica, 6 de Julho de 2018

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Century's Best, Jul 3, 2018.

1. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    NO WAY !!
    And Brasil CBF would never ever agree to a foreign coach.

old_carioca_in_nyc repped this.
  2. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yep, few years back.

3. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I felt like his positioning in the goal from Switzerland and the OG yesterday were pretty bad. Not his fault but defintely preventable.

Are you ok with him continuing on as #1 or do you think Ederson should be given a chance...

Pretty sure they did. There will never be a foreign manager. And to be honest, Pep allegedly has an alienating personality. Can't see that working well with CBF and a national team setting where you can't just ignore a good player or trade him away for someone else.

4. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think that’s harsh on Alisson. Will have to see more of him going forward .

I don’t think Pep would work either.

6. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Nothing was really his fault, but he didn’t make any big saves either. I thought there were opportunities. I would like to see Ederson given a run, but seeing how much Taffarel rates Allison, I’m skeptical he will be given the opportunity. One thing that Ederson is clearly better at is the reposição de bola. That’s why Pep likes him.

7. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Asia is lucky for us. I am keeping my fingers crossed for 2022.
    I think we have seen a degraded version of neymar in this wc. He was in the headlines for all the wrong reasons. Its a Pity that at the age of 26 he is not mature enough. I also want to say that we have to nurture more of Brazilian based players and maybe reinvent the indigenous style of play rather than follow the European style. 2022 may see the rise of vinicius junior as a star.

8. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Alisson did nothing wrong this tournament. I can’t really say anything negative about most of our players with a few exceptions.

Neymar wasn’t even a 100% but did okay IMO but it seems a lot of neutrals hated Brazil solely because of his antics and nonsense. It’s possible the refs swallowed there whistle at times for this very same reason. We tolerated that behavior for too long and he deserves criticism for it.

Marcelo had a poor tournament for me. You expect him to struggle defensively but he wasn’t great offensively either.

Gabriel Jesus was almost as bad as Fred but Tite should get some blame for this as well. He let his poor play continue for far too long. He is young and most likely should improves from this.

Paulinho wasn’t that bad but he wasn’t good either. An improvement over 2014 but it’s is not saying much.

9. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
  10. Bezhusan

Bezhusan Member

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    May 30, 2018
    we don’t know how a 30 year old Neymar will reach Qatar. He probably won’t be the same player.

As for Alisson, I don’t think he did anything notable for us in this tournament, but I don’t think Ederson is the answer.

11. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah cause both Ronaldinho and Robinho were considered not useful when they turned 30 before a World Cup!!

12. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Mario Fernandes just saved Russia in overtime lol
    Brazil ain't done in WC2018

MerlinRM and omajac repped this.
  13. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If it goes to penalties Croatia will win

14. Lockeroom

Lockeroom Member

Apr 11, 2008
    I hope.

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  16. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    and now he misses a PK...

17. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I have my questions about Neymar's character, i.e., is he a serious individual or not? That F*cking hair style in the game against Switzerland gives me some doubts and those stupid tatoos, please no more tatoos. However, I think Neymar will take care of his body and he should be OK for Qatar 22. Also, 30 isn't that old and besides Neymar was not that healthy or in good game shape in Russia. If he is healthy and fit in Qatar he SHOULD be better than in Russia. At least I hope.

18. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Way too early 23 for Qatar 2022:

Neymar-Pedro
    Paqueta-Malcolm
    Arthur-Casemiro
    Airton-Jemerson-Marquinhos-Eder
    Alisson

Bench:
    Ederson, Jean,

Alex Sandro, Bremer, Caio Felipe, Verissimo

Fred, Fabinho, Coutinho

Rodrygo, Jesus, Douglas Costa

19. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Another question I have for Tite is: Why take Taison and Fred if you aren't going to use them? Why not take Vinicius Jr. and Rodrygo and give them some World Cup experience? I think that using two team spots to give youth a taste of the World Cup is a good thing. I think Parreira took a 17 year old Ronaldo to USA 94.

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just from a Seleção setorista, first indications is that Tite wants to stay. We already know CBF wants him to stay.

Going forward Tite, if he stays, will have to make a choice as to how he wants to move the team forward. It's obvious we will need to replace various positions in preparation for 2022. The problem is that we have CA'19 at home and surely we will want to win that so Tite might be tempted to use some players that probably won't be in the plans for 2022. In my opinion, the CA is small fish and I rather start testing new players sooner than later even if it's at the expense of winning a title.

Ombak and MerlinRM repped this.
  21. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    this is constantly brought up but Ronaldo didn’t play in that World Cup and that spot could have gone to someone who could have instantly helped us with the whole Leonardo thing going down

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just because they didn't get used, doesn't mean they couldn't have been used. Fred is a mystery given the revelation he was injured a month ago. Taison none of us liked that call up.

23. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Asinine nonsense from Vickery.

This antiquated notion that Brazil NEEDS to logjam in an armador in the starting XI for tradition’s sake or because “shit it might work” is detrimental to the team and plain stupid.

We outplayed Belgium and couldn’t finish and we’re held back by Tite’s stubborn decisions to keep Jesus and Willian in.

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We definitely created enough chances, specifically in the 2nd half to at least tie the game up. Interesting that the difference in stats was even more than when Belgium played the USA in 2014 where they bombarded Howard with shots.

However, I think it may not be completely objective to say we dominated them. Since they went up 2 x 0 very quickly, it's obvious that they chose to play defensive and to hold onto the lead. Only natural since they have respect for our firepower up front. If we had let's say tied the game up in the first half or early in the 2nd, we might have seen them try and take control of the game. I think we did good creating some decent scoring chances against a team that was basically worried mostly about defending, but I can't say the "domination" would have been the same had it been tied for a long amount of time. They deserve credit for knowing how to nullify Coutinho, Neymar, Willian, Jesus for the most part.

Now, maybe they really aren't as good as advertised. Honestly the way the game started and even after the first goal, I thought we were doing well and felt confident we would win. The second goal was a killer. This felt like Brazil x Holland 2010 but flip the teams. We outplayed Holland in the first half, scored a goal and came very close to scoring the 2nd. I remember Kaká's beautiful curling shot saved by the Dutch keeper that would have given us a 2 x 0 lead. We went into the 2nd half with a 1 goal lead instead of 2 and Holland started dominating game play as they had to chase the game.

25. O Cangaceiro

O Cangaceiro Member

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 7, 2018
    But why the football jingoism?

Brazil has always done well when it has worked with others. While there has never been a foreign coach of the national team there has been plenty of examples of outsiders coming to Brazil and influencing the football. Off the top of my head I can think of Béla Guttman at São Paulo with his 4-2-4, clearly influencing Vicente Feola. I think Ondino Vieira also brought this tactic to Vasco?

Or Isidore Kürschner who brought new training methods with him from Europe, working with Flávio Costa, who went on to end a 27 year wait for a Copa América in 1949.

I know this is all old stuff and off topic but it shows navel gazing is just one of the problems within Brazilian football I think.

Anyway, someone like, say, Roberto Martínez would laugh at the idea that a foreigner can’t manage a national team well.

Redshift repped this.