Pre-match: Copa do Mundo 2018, Quartas-de-Final: Brasil vs. Bélgica, 6 de Julho de 2018

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Century's Best, Jul 3, 2018.

1. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Maybe Marquinhos can be eased into that RB spot. We have a plethora of young CBs and would be able to spare Marquinhos.

My mind is drawing blank on young LBs besides Wendell.

2. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I've said before, I'm very concerned about how progressively shallower our talent pool's been getting since Bosman. What we wouldn't give to have Ze Maria and Junior (the Palmeiras one), as up and coming FB prospects right now.

3. hectorcrib

hectorcrib Member

Mar 27, 2007
    In a 6.0
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree but unless he's regularly playing that position for club (which he isn't) then I doubt any coach (wether it's Tite or not) would let him take that national team spot ahead of any natural RB.
    You're right, Brazil has never had any trouble finding a good CB pairing (except for that poofy-haired guy which many Brazilians hate). So that's not really a problem. And as we saw with this World Cup, age is really a nonfactor.

4. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Some BS this no-call was ... studs showing and all ... thx for nothing VAR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mengão86 and XaviandXabi repped this.
  6. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    VAR referees for Brazil match today german, italian and main ref serbian...

XaviandXabi, MerlinRM and astinus4 repped this.
  7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Oh yeah ... and I also blame Japan.

MerlinRM and samuel_clemens repped this.
  8. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    weak penalty imo. despite that 1 frame. the one against Switzerland on GJ was much more clear

9. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    Severely exposed, that own goal was terrible with another Brazil player in front of him.

Paulinho is another one who needs to go permanently. What was he looking at on that Cortious rebound? IMO, GJ should've stayed on with Paulinho getting dropped a lot sooner. Guy just isn't Selecao quality.

Coutinho I think was feeling the fatigue of a very long season in the second half. Some of his passes were terrible and a couple of poor shots.

Regardless, it's been a decade with mediocre players. What's the youth cycle looking like?

MerlinRM and samuel_clemens repped this.
  10. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    That's only because there is no one to replace Alves. How sad has that LB position looked this decade?

samuel_clemens repped this.
  11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Even if there was little contact, it's a studs up tackle straight at an oncoming player.

Redshift repped this.
  12. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    That's a yellow in almost any situation. VAR is terrible and imo they should just give the managers some sort of challenge or something. Take it out of the refs hands for when it should be checked.

astinus4 and Brazil_1500 repped this.
  13. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    A lot of these players will be in Copa 2018; it’s only a year away. The RB spot is weak so Alves might still go but a lot of them should be fazed out afterwards.

I wouldn’t be upset if Marcelo wasn’t called up for a few game. 2nd World Cup he has disappointed me.

14. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    Like I said before Brazil is playing against bias referees also...

15. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  16. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Jorge at Monaco.

17. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  18. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    The beers from the bar have now long gone left my system.

It is undeniable Tite made mistakes, starting with not starting Filipe Luis who was solid for us vs. Mexico and not even bringing somebody like Arthur. And while the Belgian coaching staff radically changed after the Japan game, Tite apparently didn't anticipate what might happen.

But I do think the refereeing made mistakes. I do not believe in a conspiracy, but I do believe that if the refs had made the right calls, the game's outcome may have been different.

I read Brazilians' comments on other sites and two posts come to mind. First, this was simply a derrota, and derrotas, however painful, are part of the game. So much has to line up properly for a team to win the World Cup, and it hurts that our team didn't do it this time because with the unusual circumstances of Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal, the Netherlands, and Argentina (whom despite its players I now do not even consider to be a potência - I could provide an argument to prove this point, but that'd be an unrelated tangent) already absent as of this morning, the path seemed clear. But winning the World Cup is extremely difficult; so many factors come into play - the phase/season of a given player, unexpected injuries, possible human error (VAR helped but if the ref thinks VAR isn't needed, what does VAR matter?), and even the player's age. If Neymar were 24 instead of 26, we'd be looking at a 28-year-old Neymar come Qatar. Instead, he'll be 30, and that'll likely be his last World Cup.

The other point: several of us including myself have drawn comparisons to 2010, and they are valid comparisons. But Tite's team managed to get back in the game and but for a few inches the other way, we would now all be buzzed if not drunk in anticipation for a semifinal vs. France. Dunga's team in contrast imploded.

For us Brazilians, we need to really adjust to the fact that in the past 20-25 years, the more recent generations that followed the "Class of 1982" haven't really had equivalent successors. Falcão, Júnior, Sócrates, Zico gave way to Romário, Bebeto, and yes, Edmundo - who then were passed on the torch to Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Roberto Carlos, Kaká, and Ronaldinho. Who was the next generation? Adriano and Luís Fabiano and Robinho - all excellent players, but they weren't as good. And who do we have now? Neymar, Gabriel Jesus, Firmino, Coutinho, Arthur, Luan - amazing players as well, but as good as the current crop is, they are not yet what their elders were.

Winning the World Cup indeed may be something we'll only experience once every 20 years. I think that some of us (I include myself) were spoiled for a while due to the 1994-1998-2002 period of 3 straight finals and the Tetra and Penta. It was weird that in 2006, we didn't even reach the semifinals. 2010 we could have but we didn't. 2014 we did reach the semifinals - and Germany showed up. This year, we again fell in the quarterfinals, and not because our team was bad; on the contrary, this was the most well-rounded, best-trained, and most attentively assembled national team we've had in many years. But even with the utmost preparation, "bad" choices may occur, and on top of that, other factors (Casemiro suspended - unbelievable) and the ball not going in when we had a few good chances.

We are all - well, I know I will - going to experience "ressaca da Copa." The Libertadores and the Campeonato Brasileiro will resume; in 2019, we'll have U-20 competitions and the Copa América. We need to keep going; we must rebuild from this outstanding work Tite did and grant it continuity. Already in 2019 (if CONMEBOL maintains the current system in place), 2022 qualifying will begin. Tite is definitely the man for that job.

I will also point out - the media is saying today is the first time Brazil allowed 2 goals under Tite. While that is technically correct, one was an own goal - it wasn't a goal scored by the opposition. Therefore, Belgium scored only one goal from its own accord, and as such, even with today, Brazil under Tite remains an excellent defensive team.

Today, Brazil did not achieve the result we all hoped for, but today Brazil did at least close what it started when Neymar hit the gold-winning PK in Rio 2 years ago: rebirth. We're back. Haters may remind us of the Germany game, but at this moment, Brazil is one of the best teams in the world. The Brazil jersey is again to be respected.

19. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    Belgium does not get those 2 goals if Casemiro is playing. Maybe they still win because obviously you're changing things around, but to simplify everything, Fernandinho was the lower case goat of this game.

Redshift repped this.
  20. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    Eh, that whole South America v Europe question is pretty lame. What do you expect when they're only 5 SA teams competing vs. about the 20 European? The odds are already against them.

Primitive Ways and samuel_clemens repped this.
  21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree. We probably could have lost Coutinho and still be OK. But not Casemiro. Not with Fernandinho as his back up.

Having said that, we looked fairly comfortable even up until 2nd goal in the first half. Counter off a corner and we were caught out of shape. TS and Miranda caught up field with Fagner and Marcelo as back 2 and we were done. In that situation you need to either regain the ball or foul. The pass that went out wide to KDB was actually Paulinho's touch on Lukaku's breakaway.

I also noticed in the first half at least a reluctance to give Paulinho the ball in certain situations to circulate the ball. Noticed that in other games as well. There was no confidence in him handling the ball in tight situations in the mid. I do hope we find a solution for that.

Also with Willian's crosses from the right, it seems like they were completely blind in the whole of the WC. It's kind of useless to do it over and over if GJ or whoever is in the box is not reading them correctly.

Redshift repped this.
  22. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  23. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Or maybe it was because we didn't convert one of many chances we had. Stats are there, we were better than Belgium but they were able to convert chances and had a help from Fernandinho.

Rich coming from Vickery. According to him Tite is a god and lack of midfield means Tite didn't plan accordingly.

24. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

That's fair. But despite the bad luck, this part of the analysis is sound:

>...[T]he defeat has explanations that go far beyond a poor night from Fernandinho. This might be seen as a match in which the balance of the Brazil midfield was exposed.

>Coach Tite has been pondering for some time on the composition of his central midfield trio. The standard during qualification was the tried and trusted idea of one to get the ball, one to give it and one to go; Casemiro protecting the defence, Renato Augusto organising the play and Paulinho bursting forward as an element of surprise.

>Renato Augusto lost form, and Tite came up with contrasting solutions. One, theoretically against the stronger teams, was to re-enforce the marking with Fernandinho coming in alongside Casemiro. The other, far more attacking, was to switch Philippe Coutinho from the right flank to the midfield trio - and this ended up becoming the base formation.

>It was rolled out for the first time in the final warm-up friendly against Austria, and then used throughout the World Cup. The initial idea was that this would be reserved for weaker opposition, when Brazil were looking to break down deep defences. But it became the go-to lineup against all comers - and Belgium exposed its weaknesses.

>The new formation twisted Brazil to the left, where they had an interesting trio of Marcelo, Coutinho and Neymar all working together. On the other flank, Willian was left on his own. Belgium took advantage of this gap, between Willian and the rest of the team. This was the space that Kevin De Bruyne found to run the game in the first half. Brazil were simply not set up to deal with a player running at them from that sector - and with De Bruyne picking his passes so well, Coutinho's deficiencies as a marker were also exposed. Tite's team were wide open.

>Coutinho did come up with a magnificent chipped pass to set up the goal for Renato Augusto, a moment of fine technique and precision. But it was almost the only time he made an impact on the game. For much of the evening, his game was marked by misplaced passes and sluggish decision making. His performances got worse during the tournament - an excusable consequence of having to play a role to he is not accustomed to, that of a genuine midfielder, having to work up and back during the course of the game. He commented after the warm-up game against Austria that carrying out this function had left him tired. Over the course of the next few weeks, it clearly drained his strength.

At one point, as I said during the game, it felt like the Costa Rica match, with Willian isolated on the right with no support. This probably needed to change at half time to the extent possible with the existing bench.