Copa do Mundo 2014: Knockout Rounds [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Mengão86, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Agree 100% with this. I won't take all of the deserved blame off his shoulders, but the circumstances were far from normal in order to judge him off these final two games.

Sadly, I'm not sure how many people would agree. I know most outsiders I've seen comment on him have totally ripped him and said he's useless as a player. Way too extreme and critical.

Pandore repped this.
  2. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That was definitely a stunning free kick.

To be honest, I think it all changed when Neymar got injured. Yes, Neymar is an amazing player and his presence on the pitch was missed, but I think the most damaging aspect of Neymar's absence wasn't physical but rather mental. All of a sudden, Brazil found themselves without their star player and their captain (who, IMO, is one of the best CBs in the world) and that was too much pressure to handle. Add to that the fact that they were facing Germany on home soil and the team just collapsed. Scolari made a lot of mistakes and the team wasn't good enough to win the cup, but I'm absolutely sure that Brazil wouldn't have lost by such a large margin if they didn't have all that pressure.

Lockeroom repped this.
  3. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think a lot of people are just ignorant and follow trends. If they see one person criticizing him, then they jump on the bandwagon. A lot of people have probably never seen him play for Chelsea or in any other capacity than this current World Cup, so they're basing their opinion of him off one game.

It's clear a lot of people are envious of Brazil's success and take it out on their players. Before he got injured, Neymar was heavily criticized. It's funny because not a lot of people were praising David Luiz for his other performances or his goals, but as soon as he plays poorly, they start laughing and calling him the worst player.

4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Actually, several people that I know are EPL supporters. I realize that PSG overpaid for him, but that doesn't mean he isn't a good player and doesn't have the quality to be on the Seleção. We would have conceded many more goals if it weren't for him.

5. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    PSG did overpay for him, but it's annoying how people use that as an excuse to criticize him. If anything, they should criticize us for overpaying. The amount we spent doesn't make him any less of a valuable player.

A lot of EPL supporters, especially Manchester United fans, hate him for no reason at all. I've noticed a lot of them talk about how unlikable he is and how his crying after the Germany game was fake and rehearsed.

6. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    The thing is most futbol fans have a prisoner of the moment type of mentality towards the game. One game makes you overrated if you play bad and a legend if you play great.

celito and Pandore repped this.
  7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The RM fans on this board were criticizing him consoling James Rodriguez after the match saying he just kept looking at the big screen making sure he showed up on TV :eek:

8. PMLF

PMLF Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Rio de Janeiro, Bra
    Man Utd fans just bitter Man Utd didn't sign him despite being very close to doing so.

But I think Lucas Moura is pretty overrated, tactical awareness is poor, finishing is poor, and whenever he played for Brazil's national team he was very poor.

9. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    BUUUUTTTT, he has a few amazing highlights on youtube. So he deserves to be titular na Selecao, no questions asked!!! lol :ROFLMAO:

10. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I've followed Chelsea since Ballack moved there and after he left I sort of stuck around. Most Chelsea fans are not to sad to see him go. And most are astonished that PSG paid what they did. He is a great defender but he also has these really strange mental collapses. His runs into the mid-field are a bit much sometimes while leaving the back exposed.

Just my two cents for what it's worth.

11. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Weve watched him make mistake after mistake, again and again. He couldnt beat out John Terry or Gary Cahill for a starting spot aince Mourinho came.

I look at Luiz like Vidic. Fans love him because hes all action, tough, scores goals and in Luiz case has funny character off the pitch. Also his emergency defending, looks noce bur fans ignore the poor positioning that got him in trouble in the first place.

But tactically, positionally and emotional he too immature for his age. Still has time, but what I see today...

Also as I said before, People hated Rafael for his mistake in a Useless tournament. Luiz made multiple mistakes and people are consoling him?

Lockeroom repped this.
  12. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    DL isn't the type of CB that can play with all CBs. He has to play with a certain type of player alongside with him. He couldn't play with Cahill. Mourinho took him out, put Terry back in and never looked back. He didn't have a reason to bench Cahill. I think DL could have played with Terry.

He hasn't made those mistakes for the Seleção for a good year and a half. Then the Germany game happened. Sure, I remember him being susceptible to mistakes in his first year or so in the EPL due to some mental blunders, but his emotions got the best of him this time around.

As far as your final point, you know I've defended both. ;)

benni... repped this.
  13. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Damn, its tough to be a member of the Selecao. Luiz strung together solid to amazing games one after another from the start of the Confed to the Columbia game. The TEAM collapses and has a crisis, and now the guy is a scapegoat. This board is hard to read sometimes.

Emperor Adriano and Pandore repped this.
  14. Andr3sfc

Andr3sfc Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Manaus
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    David Luiz is a great DF, there's no doubt whatsoever.
    But, unlike Thiago Silva, he's not absolute.
    Marquinhos may take his spot by 2018.

15. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #665 Emperor Adriano, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    very. lol I even wondered to myself during the Mano days if it's even worth being a member of the selecao anymore. It really is an either way you lose proposition. You win, then you were expected , you lose then you have no pride and you suck balls. No one ever says thanks or recognizes that they are giving up what little vacation time they have.

16. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Hes not the scapegoat.

I think anyone in their right mind knows this goes even past the coach.

17. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yep, I remember seeing a bunch of people criticizing him for that. They were claiming that he was just doing it for attention. He could find the cure for cancer and people would still insult him. :rolleyes:

They also like to bring up the laughing incident as often as possible.

As for Lucas, he is still young, but I have high hopes for him. He's probably going to stay with us for a good while, which I'm happy about. He has his weaknesses, but he definitely has a lot of potential. He just needs to become more efficient. PSG fans in general seem to be increasingly impressed with him. In my opinion, he should have been selected. It's not like he could have done any worse than some of the players in his position. I really felt for the kid when he told the club that he was crying when he found out he wasn't part of the team, but in retrospect it was probably better for his career that he wasn't involved.

The price thing is just so irrelevant. Yes, it was too much, but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of us are happy to see him join our club. I know a lot of Chelsea fans that are happy because they got such a good deal out of it and not because they don't think he's a good player. Likewise, I've seen Chelsea fans who actually wanted him to be the next captain of their club. I like to watch the EPL to keep track of French players abroad and also just because I enjoy it as a neutral, so I've seen him for Chelsea many times. He does seem a little rash and focused on attacking rather than defending, but these are things that can be remedied or at least limited. In terms of being a defender though, I do think he is good enough and I think him and Thiago Silva form a great partnership in the back. I think he will do better with us than he did for Chelsea.

18. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Thiago Silva is out of this world though. Incredible player.

You guys should thank PSG. We're strengthening your defense by having half of it train and play together all season. :p

(Hopefully this doesn't bite France in the ass just like how LVG taught Romero how to stop penalties :laugh: )

19. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Thiago Silva really hasn't been that good the past year and a half.

20. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    He had a damn good tournament for us though IMO.

21. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah, this was not his best season for us, but I don't think this is permanent. By his standards, he wasn't as good, but he's still a solid player. I don't think he's on the decline or anything.

22. Lockeroom

Lockeroom Member

Apr 11, 2008
    I like this opinion. People still blame Felipe Melo, Rafael, older people even Tele Santana, Toninho Cerezo and Serginho, but are defending this Belo Horizonte German Chainsaw Massacre.
    On the other hand, I agree with those, who think that it was mainly the bad system and poor coaching . I don´t think that Sabella is a tactical genius, but Argentina played with the Germans the tight match and had more (3 -4) 100% chances to decide

benni... repped this.
  23. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would've put Luiz in the dm position and Silva/Dante at cb. Looks way more consistent to me.

24. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They didn't even had a shot on goal the entire game.

25. Lockeroom

Lockeroom Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Yes , that´s true, but I compared Argentina with Brazil and talked about the 100 % chances ( Palacio, Messi, Higuain ) . Germany's victory was deserved and this action Shürrle - Götze in only two men against 5 or 6 was great, brilliant and wonderful. Congratulation. :)

White/Blue_since1860 and Dage repped this.