Copa do Mundo 2014: General Discussion (Group Stage) [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Mengão86, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    So update from Granja Comary...

Fernandinho starting with Paulinho on the reserve team
    Starters scored first 1 x 0 with Fred
    Reserves tied the game with Paulinho on a give and go behind our favorite player Alves 1 x 1
    Reserves score, Alves (OG) after another play from the right side

Alves goes to the Reserve, Maicon titulares
    Right side still being exploited and pressure marking high (to simulate Chile)
    Oscar tied the game
    Ramires to titulares, Hulk to Reserves

David Luiz leaves game with pain on his lower back.

Maybe Felipao will take Alves out to handle that defensive right side.

2. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    willian should play the full 90 mins for sure , hulk should be on the bench

3. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #1303 Redshift, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    As I said in another thread yesterday, even though I agree that Suarez's bite is not acceptable and deserves real punishment, I feel sympathy for his and Uruguay's situation. It appears that a lot of what is driving the outrage is the weirdness of biting someone, especially given Suarez's history of similar offenses and his likely attempt to taste Chiellini just last year in the Confederations Cup. It is wierd. Personally, though, I'd be a lot more outraged by a player intentionally taking out a knee or an ankle, or punching his opponent in the face.

Maybe all the hilarious memes and belly laughs that have come out of this incident have tempered my own anger. Or maybe the bite just strikes me as a high-profile expression of the infamous Uruguayan catimba. Suarez seems to have been trying to get elbowed in the face so that Chiellini would get sent off, or so he could incite a controversy that would distract Italy. And it may have worked too, since Italy conceded the goal about a minute after the biting incident. With the retrospective punishment, Uruguay is being forced to pay a price for this kind of gamesmanship--which doesn't happen consistently. Basically, the Uruguayans are whining about not being allowed to get away scot-free with conduct Suarez successfully sneaked past the ref during the game because similar behavior regularly goes unpunished.

This is not the best argument. And it’s fair that they should have to pay a price here. No one can seriously dispute that the bite would have warranted a red card for Suarez if the ref had seen it. Also, is there any doubt that he’d have to serve a comparable suspension if he had been sent off? Who knows how the game would have gone if it had been 10 v. 10 again at that point? Maybe Italy would have held on to the draw. Suarez’s suspension is a significantly cheaper price to pay than elimination from the World Cup. So Uruguay has to live with it, just like they were forced to live with Suarez's suspension for the handball that won them the match against Ghana in the last World Cup. Actions have consequences.

I get the whole “circle the wagons” effect, which is completely natural. Football is tribal, and they feel like their tribe is under attack. They’ve lost their best player. Under those circumstances, it’s easy to see conspiracies under every rock and blame everyone else except their own choices and mistakes for their misfortune.

I'm sure acceptance will come after the denial and anger pass.

Emperor Adriano repped this.
  4. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    What the hell is Chevanton going on about? Last I checked, they play Columbia, not Brasil. Even with Suarez, it is gonna be tough defeating Columbia and since when is Brasil afraid of Uruguay?

5. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I pretty much agree. Uruguay has 3 million people so losing Suarez seems harsh even though there was no choice.

6. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Fred thinks the punishment for Suarez is too harsh, and he should be allowed to play in the World Cup.

It's pretty clear that Suarez took the exact wrong approach in the aftermath of the bite. He should have admitted what he did, apologized, and sought leniency. If he'd done that, maybe FIFA would have given him another chance to play in this World Cup after a shorter suspension. Since he instead chose to trivialize the incident and deny responsibility, this outcome was almost certain.

7. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Either way, he would miss the next game and I would say the odds of Uruguay passing FG aren't that great. So in other words, he'd probably miss the WC anyways.

8. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Suarez would have had to pursue this strategy before the matter was submitted to the disciplinary committee. Now it's too late. The Uruguayan FA's promised appeal will likely go nowhere--it's an appeal to a higher body within FIFA. And FIFA has said the suspension won't be stayed in the interim, contrary to what some people were suggesting. Even if he were to try to challenge it in court (provided he even can and hasn't signed his rights away in an arbitration agreement), it probably would not even be heard, much less resolved, by the time Uruguay next plays. They had bad legal and PR advice at the outset. They will lay for it now.

9. Kevin_405

Kevin_405 Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I doubt admitting and apologizing would have changed anyrhing. He is a repeat offender hence punishment fit the crime. At least the western media migt have gone a bit easy on him. He actualy probably desrves a longer ban

10. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    DataFolha Estatisticas

EQUIPEPASSES (em %)
    1Argentina91,8
    2Alemanha90,5
    3Itália90,4
    4França89,7
    5Costa do Marfim89,5
    11Brasil86,4
    EQUIPEDESARMES
    1Uruguai129,7
    2Nigéria129,3
    3Brasil126,7
    4Gana126,0
    5Argélia125,0
    PosiçãoEQUIPEFALTAS COMETIDAS
    1Holanda22,0
    2Costa Rica19,7
    3Uruguai19,0
    4Irã17,0
    5Costa do Marfim16,3
    21Brasil12,7
    PosiçãoEQUIPEFINALIZAÇÕES
    1França20,3
    2Portugal17,3
    3Suíça16,7
    4Argentina16,3
    5Gana16,0
    7Brasil15,0
    PosiçãoEQUIPEDRIBLES
    1Nigéria20,7
    2Argentina18,7
    3Brasil16,7
    4Bélgica16,3
    5Bósnia15,3
    EQUIPEFALTAS RECEBIDAS
    1Grécia21,3
    2Chile18,0
    3Brasil17,3
    4Uruguai16,7
    5Itália16,7
    EQUIPECRUZAMENTOS
    1França27,0
    2Argentina26,7
    3Portugal26,7
    4Gana26,0
    5Bósnia24,0
    12Brasil21,7
    EQUIPELANÇAMENTOS
    1Coréia do Sul6,7
    2Espanha6,3
    3Itália6,3
    4Brasil6,0
    5Nigéria5,3
    EQUIPEACERTO DE CRUZAMENTOS (em %)
    1Argélia35,0
    2Gana33,5
    3Colômbia33,3
    4Holanda30,9
    5Chile30,7
    13Brasil24,4
    EQUIPEFINALIZAÇÕES SOFRIDAS
    1Holanda8,0
    Costa Rica8,0
    Espanha8,0
    4Inglaterra8,7
    5Rússia9,7
    13Brasil11,7
    EQUIPEPASSES TOTAL
    1Alemanha539
    2Argentina477
    3Itália447
    4Espanha438
    5França409
    13Brasil360
    EQUIPEPONTARIA (em %)
    1Holanda58,4
    2Argélia51,8
    3Brasil48,7
    4Colômbia46,9
    5Espanha45,3
    EQUIPEBOLAS PERDIDAS
    1Brasil41,3
    2Gana40,7
    3Bélgica40,0
    4Coréia do Sul39,3
    5Nigéria39,0
    EQUIPEIMPEDIMENTOS
    1Itália7,0
    2Bélgica4,7
    3Gana4,3
    4Espanha3,7
    5Uruguai3,3
    7Brasil2,7
    EQUIPEMÉDIA DE RECUOS (SÓ P/ GOLEIROS)
    1Chile17,0
    2Holanda16,7
    3Alemanha16,0
    4Austrália15,3
    5Portugal11,0
    27Brasil4,3
    EQUIPECARTÕES AMARELOS
    1Costa do Marfim7
    2Uruguai6
    Austrália6
    Gana6
    Coréia do Sul6
    10Brasil4
    EQUIPEGOLS MARCADOS
    1Holanda10
    2Colômbia9
    3França8
    4Brasil7
    Suíça7
    Alemanha7
    EQUIPEGOLS SOFRIDOS
    1Bélgica1
    México1
    Costa Rica1
    4França2
    Brasil2
    Alemanha2
    Colômbia2

11. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    CONMEBOL - 5 of 6 (83%)
    CONCACAF - 3 of 4 (75%)
    Europa - 6 of 13 (46%)
    Africa - 2 of 5 (40%)
    Asia - 0 of 4 (0%)

12. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Conmebol once again proving they deserve another spot.. since 1990s they have 70% qualification from group stages, while UEFA is second with 50%

Africa finally did ok while Asia disappointing.

Can somebody explain to me how come the Dutch are always up there in fouls committed (counter killers mostly) and get no yellow cards? I mean tactical fouls eventually have to be punished

And in other news.. Felipao will call up another player and place one of our players in the injury reserve.

Apparently Bruno ex-gk from Flamengo will be called to start on the place of Julio Cesar. Felipao explains he's the best player for the mata-mata phase of the tournament

NotreDameFlamengo repped this.
  13. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I guess someone will start the Knockout round thread tomorrow