Copa do Mundo 2014: General Discussion (Group Stage) [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Mengão86, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Seeing as Ghana banned two of their players and were in turmoil over payment, it's not a surprise they aren't playing well but neither is Portugal... good for the US.

2. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    These quotes were after the Mexico game.. until the cameroon game people in Brazil were still asking for Neymar's head, Fred's head, Alves head, Marcelo's head, Oscar's head, Paulinho's head, JC's head..

Fred scores and people are happy with Fred
    Oscar hasn't scored in 2 games so people are upset with him
    JC lets a goal in .. omg no confidence
    Marcelo's own goal.. he needs to go
    Paulinho hasn't scored or given Brazil 10 runs into the box resulting in goals he needs to go
    Neymar only scores off PKs and did nothing against Mexico.. Messi would have scored 3 times if he was playing.

wait Neymar scored twice?

He's a cai cai mas VAI BRASIL POOOORRRAA!!!!!

Paulinho plays with the reserves today and scores, Dani Alves moved to the reserves and Maicon playing with the titulares.

3. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Haha.....

4. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Müller with the rocket from the edge of the box! É gol do Flamengo!!!!... quero dizer, da Alemanha.

5. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Who are you debating here? The people on bigsoccer or the people on these other forums and in Brazil in general?

6. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    African teams :rolleyes:

7. Jadentheman

Jadentheman Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another European team gone and USA advanced to round of 16. Bring on the knockout stages.

8. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

As long as the World Cup is not in Europe the US will go to the knockouts!! 2018 its back to 3 and out!!

9. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Apparently everyone because the opinions are shared

10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Not necessarily. For the first time in several tries, Team USA defeated Ghana. And a 0-1 loss to Germany in the group stage is nothing to be embarrassed about. Portugal, seen by many as a contender, lost by 4-0.

11. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Bolao from my family and friends almost 100 people participating, leader my wife, knows nothing about football, she has missed only 1 team (Costa Rica). She has Belgium and Korea for the next group.

12. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    I don't understand the decision to have C. Ronaldo and Messi as captains. Yes, they are the best players on the team but they are not leaders IMO. C. Ronaldo seems to just sulk when things doesn't goes his way.

13. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    arghhh UOL comments! MY EYES!!!!! THAT JUST GAVE ME CANCER! :cry:

3 out of possible 7 games are done now, almost half of the tournament. If this was the Brasileirão, it would be something like 16 games out of 38.

There is no time to wait anymore, it's now or never.

14. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    The USMNT is through because of another Pepe meltdown

15. Jadentheman

Jadentheman Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More like Ghanian meltdown. Got luckily people didn't get paid

16. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pretty much. Don't get me wrong, they could get through on their own (but just barely). But in this case, the bottom line for Portugal ends up being the number of goals given up in the first game and Pepe had a hand in making that worse than it could have been.

At least no one treats that as a conspiracy by Brazil and FIFA to eliminate our rivals... you know, unlike this Suarez nonsense.

Just read a column by a Brazilian lamenting that players can be punished after the game for things the ref missed. If only we had a time machine so he could go live in the past.

17. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    African players always have these conflicts with federations. It really isn't a lucky occurrence when it happens at every major tournament.

18. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Taken from the World cup general discussion forum:

"Ernesto Javier Chevanton calling for a boycott.

“This ban is an enormous disgrace. Who said he bit his opponent? Many things can be said about those images,” he told TMW.

“Evidently the condemnation around the world is all envy. Suarez is among the best players in the world and we left Italy and England out, while Brazil are afraid we’ll give them a repeat of 1950.

“I think the players should leave the World Cup out of solidarity for Suarez. We need to send a strong signal, because it all looks as if it is being set up to help Brazil win the tournament. Suarez is being persecuted.”"

I just lost all the respect I had for Uruguay.

Guigs repped this.
  19. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Alcides Ghiggia said he was against Suarez's behavior.

Redshift and Ombak repped this.
  20. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I probably should have prepared myself for all of these whack conspiracy theories for Brazil winning the Cup.

21. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You're right and glad you pointed it out. I was very happy to see that. The one non-deluded Uruguayan I have read on this subject (in the press) so far. Everyone else is reflexively defending Suarez in some way.

I don't take the calls for a boycott seriously, but I would love to see it just so I could laugh at them for piling stupid decision on top of stupid decision and to see the consequence of it.

22. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    ... You are right, I can't blame a whole nation for Chevanton's words. But even the guys from ESPN were saying yesterday, before the ban was confirmed, that Uruguay was playing the villain to try to save Suarez. Throwing away all the support and good treatment they received from the brazillian people in such a desperate gambit. It's useless, the images are clear as crystal. Tão dando murro na ponta de uma faca.

23. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's shit talk!! Fifa will punish Uruguay by banning them from the Copa'15 and maybe the Copa'16 and Russia'18

24. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I don't know how Uruguayans would react, but I would speculate that Ghiggia, however elderly he is now, is more to them what Pelé is to us. The vast majority of those who saw Ghiggia play in 1950 are gone; many of today’s elder Brazilians were young enough to see Pelé in his prime. I don’t know that Ghiggia has the iconic status in Uruguay Pelé has in Brazil, but because we had other World Cup title victories after Pelé retired, we have the luxury of comparing and contrasting Pelé’s legacy with the legacy of players like Ronaldo and Romário.

Ghiggia has had no equivalent successors. Uruguay had other good teams after 1950, but none which did what his team did. So, that he of all Uruguayans said what he said speaks volumes - and shows that for all the rabid nationalism that the World Cup whets and stimulates (the Brazil vs. Argentina rivalry forum, in which I took part - full disclosure - is a perfect example of this), it's not all people in Uruguay (obviously).

As for calls for a boycott, it's just them trying to give off the appearance of unity, which is understandable. I wouldn’t be surprised if within the locker room, a few players had expressed their disagreement with Suárez’s bite, even if it did help them score and win the game. This isn’t like his handball against Ghana in 2010. He and the rest of his team had zero right to complain; he was justly red-carded, but Uruguay managed to win the PK shootout. This bite was barbaric and low. That Suárez has not yet issued a statement of apology, either to Georgio Chiellini, to his team, or to his country, indicates to me that he really thought he was going to get away with his antics, as he did in 2010.

I applaud the ban, and predict Colombia will advance because Uruguay will lose offensive firepower as a result. With Suárez, Uruguay had a much better chance.

This happened on live international TV. Uruguay had no defense for this incident, and the fact he did it before only served to indict him.

25. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Well, Suárez's participation in Uruguay official matches will affect the 2015 Copa America and World Cup qualifying games for 2018. His absence may cost them points which they will not recover - and this could mean Uruguay doesn't even qualify for the next World Cup.