PBP: Copa del Rey - Round of 4, Second Leg - Barcelona v. Atletico Madrid - 7 February 2017

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Gilmango, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    The situation in a nutshell, we lead 2-1 and have 2 away goals as well so we advance with any win or draw at home or a 0-1 loss, a 1-2 loss means extra time. Neymar is suspended but so is Gabi. 6 more players (3 on each team) including Messi are at risk of suspension if they get a 3rd Yellow in this game. Awaiting in the final will be Alaves or Celta.
    Where - Camp Nou:
    [​IMG]
    When:
    [​IMG]
    L.Enrique: "I think Pique is ready, we've 1 more day to go & a few more hours to rest. So we'll see if he is in optimal condition to play.""Neymar suspended for tomorrow's game? I do have some interesting players I can put there on the wing""But we are going to make the other coach (Simeone) think about it and not give away who we are going to play there." "Messi, Umtiti and Alba in danger of missing Cdr final through suspension? It will not affect our approach to the game; they are good at knowing the situation. I don't think it's going to affect how these players play in game."

Sport prediction: The Barça boss is prioritising reaching the final and will not reserve his big guns. Correctly predicting a Luis Enrique side this season has almost been a question of luck, given the coach has a rotation system which often defies logic. However, against Atletico the possible line-up will be defined by the importance of the game. In goal will be Jasper Cillessen, a regular in the Copa del Rey. In defence will be Sergi Roberto and Jordi Alba at full-backs and Gerard Pique in the middle along side Javier Mascherano -- although this is one of the doubts, as Samuel Umtiti may play. In midfield, the good news is the return of Sergio Busquets. He will be joined by two from three in the form of Andre Gomes, Ivan Rakitic and Denis Suarez. There's not much mystery up front. Arda Turan will fill in for the suspended Neymar alongside Luis Suarez and Lionel Messi.

Injury news:
    Pique practiced today after being subbed off as a precaution on Saturday, expected to start. Busi, Ini and Digne have all been practicing with the squad of late and are expected to be cleared. So we should have a full squad to choose from, save suspended Neymar, Rafinha (stitches and broken nose), MAtS - rested in Copa, plus one healthy player who won't make the 18 man roster. Sport is tipping Busi to start along with Pique but Iniesta to be held in reserve and used if/when needed presumably in 2nd half.

My guess:
    Jasper
    Roberto-Pique-Umtiti - Alba (could see Masch for Umtiti or for Pique if Pique not 100%)
    Rakitic - Busi - Denis (could see Gomes start again but hopefully won't)
    Messi - Suarez - Arda

Of my predicted starters only Umtiti and Arda played the whole game on Saturday, and several played half my predictions played no minutes. I think that the rest will do the club well. So too will knowing that Atletico need 2 goals. I think they will score at least 1 but their pressure will open space for us to exploit. I think 2-1 win for us is most likely but it could easily be a tighter nail biter.

jfcule and inswinger repped this.
  2. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marca, being Marca, take a much dimmer view of the prospects of Ini, Busi, and Pique playing. Time will tell.

Tuesday's Copa del Rey semi-final second leg between Barcelona and Atletico Madrid promises to be a huge test for Luis Enrique, who faces a tough task in preparing a strong starting XI before anything else. Los Rojiblancos are 2-1 down going into the Camp Nou clash but Diego Simeone's men will be heartened by the sheer lack of options that his opposite number has to play with.

Andres Iniesta, back training with the squad, will almost certainly find that this fixture is beyond him, as it will be for Sergio Busquets while the anchor man continues his comeback from an ankle blow against Eibar. That would potentially put Javier Mascherano up as an option for the role but the Argentine could be required to fill the considerable boots of Gerard Pique. Taken off at half-time on the weekend, the centre-back felt discomfort in his thigh and is in doubt for Tuesday's game, as is Rafinha after Marc-Andre ter Stegen accidentally dealt a broken nose to his teammate in the same game.

Luis Enrique's problems don't stop there, either, with Neymar suspended for the Atleti showdown and Arda Turan the most likely to step up into the attack line, although Paco Alcacer's maiden Barcelona goal against Athletic Club on Saturday will give his coach something to think about.

inswinger repped this.
  3. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the squad list is out and Busi Ini Pique and Digne all made it so the 4 first teamers missing are Neymar suspended, Rafinha hurt, MAtS rested in Copa, and Mathieu rotated. The fact Mathieu was rotated suggests to me that Busi and Pique will start as predicted by me and Sport but not Marca- otherwise we'd want Mathieu available on bench.

inswinger repped this.
  4. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    jfcule, unclesox and Gilmango repped this.
  5. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    From images taken inside the locker room, looks like Iniesta and Biscuits are suiting up. Digne also called in. So maybe:

Cillessen

Vidal - Piqué - Umtiti - Alba

Rakitic - Busquets - Iniesta

Messi - L. Suárez - Turan​

6. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Official Barca line-up vs Atletico:

------------Cillessen---------
    ---Roberto, Pique, Umtiti, Alba---
    ---Gomes, Rakitic, Denis-----
    ----Messi, Suarez, Turan----

DM might be an issue here

Gilmango repped this.
  7. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ATM Line-up:

-----------Moya--------
    --Juanfran, Godin, Savic, Filipe Luis--
    ---Koke, Saul, Gaitan, Carrasco---
    --------Griezmann, Torres---

Gilmango repped this.
  8. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This attacking Atletico line up will run all over the midfield and outnumber the DM whoever he is (Raki or Gomes). And people here will blame the players again. Why not play a real DM instead of players out of position? Both Masch and Busquets on the bench. Just lol

9. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Really glad we have so many rested players and that Pique feels 100% or close enough to start. Really hoping both Ini and Busi can play all or most of the 2nd half -- but of course only if they are ready. Hopefully we do not even need them though they both bring somethings to the team that no one else can bring. My point is they'll help if they are healthy enough to play but ideally it is just to get them back in game shape rather than to solve a problem.

Hope Raki at DM is true and he and Gomes don't swap (in which case Denis would be on the other side than shown above).

Let's do this!

10. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wish that were so (Busi and Ini both ready to start), I'm more 'agnostic' about the right back selection, and the Masch or Umtiti selection. Gomes and the rest of the odd midfield (only 1 starter but he's out of position and not having his best season to boot) don't fail us now!

11. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Busi is on the bench, obviously, as he is not ready to play a whole game coming back after a long injury break. Hopefully he comes on for all or most of 2nd half. As for Masch v. Raki both have looked OK, neither is Busi, Masch is a real DM with Argentina and was with Liverpool but has rarely played there for Barca. Also with Mathieu in the stands starting Masch at DM would mean we have no CB in case Pique or Umtiti needs a sub.

I for one won't blame players for not being Busi or Ini, but I also won't blame Lucho for putting this team out there. I wish Busi (and Ini) were ready to play the whole game but I don't think that they are.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It's quite common among managers not to start a guy who has been away due to injury for a while.

13. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Masch was injured for a while?

14. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So Gomes as a DM and we have 2 DMs on the bench.

Masch as a DM>>>>Gomes/Raki anyday

I have faith in Messi to save us like every match this season. God bless you Leo.

15. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gomes at DM not Raki, damn

16. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Well like I said everything back to normal [emoji23] Lucho playing Shitmes and Craperto. Vidal plays great scores get to sit on the bench, he's not tired and doesn't need rotation. Why is Lucho insisting with Gomes? I don't get it.

puyol repped this.
  17. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Craperto made look like a fool, lucky the shot was straight at keeper. Jesus!

ShortyMac repped this.
  18. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Playing Gomes is not an issue, but playing him out of position is not Gomes's fault.

ATM almost scored.

unclesox repped this.
  19. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A-yup.

20. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Yeah he's def out of position, far from the bench. [emoji23] [emoji12]

Gilmango repped this.
  21. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

ATM started like they finished from 1st leg, I hope Barca finishes like they started the first leg.

22. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    How did Cholo go from the slicked back hair look to this 'fro thing?

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Busquets has been injured for a while, wise ass.

Masch picked-up a knock a couple of weeks ago. Guess they're being ultra-careful with the PSG match looming.

24. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Man midfield is in shambles wth, Craperto and Gomes ******** up together. Shape the hell up morons.

Nice pass again from Gomes to Griezman, is he looking for an assist? Bench that ********er before he ruins it.

25. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Messi not looking sharp so far. Cillessen flawless tho.