PBP: Copa del Rey | R16 Leg 1 | Levante v FC Barcelona | 10 January 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Denis did well, awful PK but luckily the keeper was even worse.

2. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Need a goal to save the Helmond!!

3. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Coutinho with 15 goals in his Barca career, four coming against Levante.

And I agree with the props for Denis. Great run.

4. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    We can win back the Helmond in the return leg as long as Levante doesn't lose in La Liga.

Shit, they're playing Atleti away this weekend.

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lenglet is awful.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Somebody send them a message.

7. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This ended rather well after the horror start.

8. Umm I just play FIFA

Barcelona
    Philippines
    Jan 11, 2018
    LA
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    • Murrillo was busy --- but solid (though I missed 1st half)
    • SiKK, I mean SikKkKkK feints by Denis Suarez to secure the penal
    • Kinda felt bad for Coutinho, he stopped trying that cut/screamer move of his after a while, but on 2nd thought not so bad because he makes a lot more money than me

BocaFan repped this.
  9. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    With that one dribble, Denis has rescued a dismal situation to give us a solid chance to advance, and added 10M to his transfer fee. :ninja:

edit: actually, dammit.
    Denis Suárez has come on against Levante and this means Barcelona will have to pay Manchester City €800,000 euros as is agreed in a special clause in which Barcelona will have to pay that amount in every ten games the Galician plays for club.
    https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futb...rez-manchester-city-euros-partidos-bonus.html

10. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if you merely want to keep alive our dream of a treble, and our dream of a never-done-before Copa five-peat, as well as an avenue to play squad players, then it was worth it the 800,000 as that away goal may prove huge next Thursday.

And, as you first suggested, if we sell him now that bit of skill might fetch a higher price for him. Or, if we keep him till summer, Valverde can now play him 9 more times without worrying about that provision.

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    This was a bit risky, but kinda got away with it. Think Barca can still advance even with just 3 or 4 regulars starting next week, as long as one of them is Messi.

12. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well after getting a 1-1 away draw in first leg last year in this round last year, EV put out about 7 regular starters plus pretty strong squad players: Cillessen, Semedo, Mascherano, and Gomes in the return leg, so I think it will be similar next Thursday, mostly starters plus Cillessen, Semedo (if Roberto is back to starting RB as seems to be the case), maybe Murillo again, maybe Arthur, maybe Coutinho.

13. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.sport-english.com/en/ne...-was-a-risk-but-we-have-to-take-risks-7239699

"I picked the best team I thought we could pick," said Valverde, who left Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez, Ivan Rakitic, Gerard Pique and Jordi Alba in Barcelona.

"It's served us to evaluate players in some tough moments, like in a Primera Division game. I know it's a risk, but you have to take risks a lot of the time."

Valverde said he was happy with new signing Jeison Murillo's debut but admitted it was a tricky game for B team defenders Chumi and Juan Miranda.

He added: "I am happy with Murillo, he has experience and he knows how to approach these type of games. As for the kids, it was a difficult test, but that's how it is, no?"

Valverde was also asked about Coutinho, who struggled to impress after starting the game after being left out of the last four La Liga lineups.

"When Dembele wasn't playing, everyone was asking me about him," the coach responded. "Now, Dembele's playing and Coutnino's not and the reverse is happening.

"What the players have to do is work hard to revert the situation. Both of them have played tonight. And if one of them isn't happy, they have to fight to turn things around. But, come on, one or the other is nearly always playing.

"Coutinho gives us a lot and will keep giving us a lot. I will say the same about Dembele. It's a repetitive question, with interchangeable names."

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not saying that Coutinho should be playing ahead of Dembele right now, but 160m for a player and saying he has to fight for a starting position looks really bad. It's easy to see how this is going to be a problem.

15. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Good for you EV putting inexperienced players to play together without much playtime together! It was tough! No shit!

16. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    what's wrong with that? he has to earn his minutes like everyone else.
    he's competing with players who also cost a lot of money.

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Coutinho is Barca's most expensive signing in history. One would not expect such a high profile player to have to fight back into the team after coming back from injury. Typically players with that price tag are given enough playing time once they are back from injury to find game form. But I am not really criticizing that ... I am just saying Barca overpaid by quite a bit.

unclesox repped this.
  18. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Remontadas a more fun ;)

19. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Coutinho was pretty decent last season tbh. I hope there’s no tension between Coutinho and Valverde.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Don’t Chumi and Miranda play together almost every week?

21. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Start Dembele and use Coutinho as a sub in La Liga and then start Coutinho and use Dembele as a sub in CL.