Pre-match: Copa del Rey - Final - Celta Vigo or Alaves v. Barcelona - 27 May 2017 - Venue to be Determined

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Gilmango, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I started a "Pre-match" thread as it is way too early for a "PBP" thread, but without this we wind up having talk all over the place on the season thread, on the Barca v. Atleti 2nd leg thread, etc.

Lots of variables in play. Who do we play (determined today in Alaves's Estadio Mendizorrotza, after scoreless first leg hosted by Celta)? Who do we want to play? FCB asked the question today on twitter including images of both suspended players, Roberto and Suarez (we are appealing but I'm pretty certain both will miss the final):
    [​IMG] We're into the #CopaFCB final and today we'll find out who we're playing. [​IMG] Who would you prefer? [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Very close odds in Alaves, Alaves at home vs. Celta has the away goal in their favor. So Celta is 9/5 to Win, Alaves is 2/1 to win, but a draw - which generally sees Celta through is 36/17. So looking at just odds to advance Celta 11/17; Alaves 7/5.

To win it all Barca pays only 1/7, Celta pays 8/1, Alaves 16/1.

Next question is where do we play. FCB would love to do it in the Bernabeu but I'm sure FloPer will manage to stage a concert which conflicts or need to fix the bathrooms again. So most likely is a final farewell to the Calderon, which would be happy to host this. San Mames (Bilbao would also be a nice midway option if Barca meets Celta, if they meet Alaves it might be too favorable to Alaves who play just south of there). Here's a good summary: http://en.as.com/en/2017/02/08/football/1486572974_644507.html

Lineup: I think it is pretty easy without Suarez we start Paco, that is what we bought him for, without Roberto we start Vidal, we keep starting Jasper in Goal (so we may need to get him some game time but that's harder to do if we can stay close in Liga title hunt), so that leaves only CB next to Pique (Umtiti or Masch), and does Rakitic still hold down his spot next to Ini and Busi. I say Rakitic does and Umtiti v Masch is close to call but I'd say Umtiti at the moment. Jasper; Vidal-Pique-Umtiti-Alba; Raki-Busi-Ini; Messi-Paco-Neymar.

Leading scorer for CdR: Sevilla's Wissam Ben Yedder leads all with 5 but won't play again, right behind him and still playing are Messi, Turan, and likely-still-suspended Suarez with 4 each. Edgar has 3 for Alaves, Aspas and Wass have 2 each for Celta, as do Ibai, Santos and Toquero for Alaves, and Neymar and Denis Suarez for FCB.

puyol repped this.
  2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I originally posted this in the Other Teams thread but see no reason why it can't be here instead.

20 minutes in, 0-0 on aggregate.

Celta has no one carrying two Copa yellows.

Alavés has three players on two bookings but only Edgar is on the bench. The two Aleksandars (Katai and Pantic) are not in the squad.

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The usual argument about the venue has already started. lol Barca want it in the Bernabeu due to the high capacity, but that's unlikely. So back in the Calderon I guess.

4. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Edgar subbed on in 79th minute... Edgar scores in 82nd minute.
    1-0 Alavés

5. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alaves scored in the 82'. Celta needs a goal.

6. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edgar, the scorer, just did his hammy.

7. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant to include that, but after stealing your thunder on the last match thread (since it was such a big story) it is better I left it out, and you are on it as always, thanks!

Looks like Alaves it will be at 90+6, lots of Alaves injuries all of a sudden, so sad. Our odds will only get shorter with Alaves in. Guessing will be one of the very last matches (or very last) at the Calderon, nice touch, since Bernabeu clearly cannot handle another likely Barca triumph.

8. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT: Alaves 1-0 Celta

1-0 agg.

Barca-Alaves, it is, then.

9. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    First ever Copa final appearance for Alavés!

10. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that's awesome.

Still hope we win. :p

11. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Edgar joins Messi, Turan and suspended Luis Suarez on 4 goals, if either of the first 3 can get a brace in the final it should be their's alone, single goal by one or more of them and they tie Sevilla's Ben Yedder.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yup, never won a trophy either. Of course they were involved in the greatest UEFA Cup final of all time.

Could get their first Super cup appearance too if either they beat Barca or Barca get their shit together in the league.

13. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No worries about stealing thunder. Feel free to include whatever's neccesary when starting threads. The more info, the bettter. :cool:

Gilmango repped this.
  14. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luis gets a 2nd match added to his red card suspension, second article makes clear that both are still restricted to Copa, so he misses the Final and also first match next season's Copa. Roberto also misses Final. Busquets yellow actually rescinded (another ball was on pitch so his kicking ball away was not deemed card worthy).

http://www.marca.com/en/football/barcelona/2017/02/09/589ca481e5fdea8f3f8b4658.html

http://www.sport-english.com/en/news/barca/luis-suarez-hit-with-two-game-copa-del-rey-ban-5797116

16. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States