Alert: COPA DEL MONDO BRAZIL 2014: GROUP STAGE (2) ITALY VS COSTA RICA, ARENA PERNAMBUCO, RECIFE

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by FORZA NAPOLI <3, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I don't think we were awful. I would not even say bad. We were ineffective. Our midfield put good balls over the top. It was those 11 offside calls that killed us along with bad first touches. What bothers me is that Prandelli did nothing to adjust. Let Marchisio and Candreva break through from midfield to beat the trap. Let Balotelli play the dummy to work on the line. Worse, when he sent in Cerci and Insigne, both succumbed to the same stupidity. And then I not sure exactly what Cassano was trying to do. We needed him to hold possession and make smart plays, not flicks to nowhere. That is what frustrated me.

2. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    It’s reported Ciro Immobile was meant to come on against Costa Rica, butCesare Prandelli was forced to switch.

The Coach was under fire for his choices after the 1-0 defeat in Recife, particularly his decision not to introduce Serie A Capocannoniere Immobile.

According to the latest report from ANSA, that had been the original plan to come on for Mario Balotelli.

However, at that moment Claudio Marchisio told the bench he needed to be replaced, as he was suffering from cramp.

With this in mind, Prandelli changed his approach and threw on Torino wide man Alessio Cerci instead.

jerrito repped this.
  3. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is why I try not to judge too quickly. There are ALWAYS things we don't know.

4. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Except Ciro would still have been a preferable choice at this point in the match. It is not as if Cerci dropped back to help out defensively and at that point, Costa Rica had half a man playing forward as everyone built the chain in front of their goal. How many long balls did Costa Rica kick up field with no one chasing? Immobile and Balotelli would have made them mark the two strikers and maybe open something for Cassano or Insigne. So it is OK to judge later.

5. Calabrese5

Calabrese5 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That makes sense. I was wondering how he didn't sub Balo off who stopped running the last 30 mins or so because he was gassed being lone striker in that heat

6. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    i saw immobile warming up to come on and wondered why he chose cerci in the end, however he should have come on earlier instead of cas, it was just a total lack of invention from prandelli

7. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was expecting and hoping for Ciro as well. I just meant waiting to comment in general. It is too easy to say something is a bad decision without learning why it was made, and it happens here all the time. I agree with what you are saying Falc, but now at least I understand why Prandelli changed it. I think we started with almost a fear of Costa Rica beginning with our formation.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm sure the subject came up but I'm too lazy to read the whole thread. Doesn't it seem strange though that after a week passes the CT changes 5 starters from a winning side?

9. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't see how anyone can blame the striker for last night. It was basically just Balotelli by himself vs their entire defense. It was the wide support players' fault for not helping him. And also Prandelli's for playing three static central midfielders.

SandroNesta13, el napulitan and jerrito repped this.
  10. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    thing is i find hard to blame the wide players if they are unable to beat a man etc, i can blame them but as in yesterdays game each man was on his own, they had the whole of costa rica's defence to beat with no support for themselves, we made it so easy for them, the one time cerci got through into space in the penalty area thanks to CR's right missing the ball baloteli made a pointless foul so just did costas job for them, the sad thing is i only remember pirlo taking a shot from a freekick and insigne (poor attempt) and darmian, darmian with the only shot at and near the goal, fcuking nutts

jerrito repped this.
  11. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Are you seriously unable to read English? Take another look. You're embarrassing yourself.

12. Free Sempre X

Free Sempre X Member

Nov 3, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like no DeRo vs. Uruguay.

13. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma

Uruguay is one of the teams in the world I would most fear in this situation... a team that will feel no pressure whatsoever to play recklessly even when needing an outright win

What are you being a prick about this for? You said Uruguay will feel no pressure to play recklessly.

14. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Exactly I agree that Uruguay can choke off a match when they're ahead they will feign and foul, but sjnce they must chase it should play into italy's hands

La Magica and jerrito repped this.
  15. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    So if you're a soldier and I'm your officer and I say to you before sending you on a scouting mission, "Soldier, feel no pressure whatsoever to take any risks"... you are going to take that as me saying, "Soldier, you should take risks"? Wow.

Seriously, dude, sit down and work through the sentence one more time. It will come to you.

16. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Uruguay has to chase but they won't be reckless. They have 90 mins and probably expect us to be the ones who over-expose ourselves.

el napulitan and AmericanKaka repped this.
  17. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    You were talking up Uruguay as something italy should be afraid of were as I believe their style plays perfectly into Italy's hands. They don't sit ever which is something Italy struggle against like yesterday

18. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    It's really difficult to say whether your ignorance of English or your ignorance of calcio is greater.
    I make certain allowances seeing as you're a Roma fan and I try to be understanding toward the disabled, but... welcome to my ignore list.

19. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Maradona slams FIFA over Costa Rica doping scrutiny
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/maradona-slams-fifa-over-costa-rica-doping-scrutiny-150212056--sow.html

20. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Since DDR is out then i'm assuming Motta is in? :( I really hope that's not the case.

21. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    look at this for great defending
    [​IMG]

terrible by buffon too, why is he coming out

mattteo repped this.
  22. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    No doubt you hope in vain.
    And if it's not Motta it will be Aquilani.
    OMG, it's possible Prandelli will play them BOTH with Pirlo!
    Kill me now.

23. elvesuvio

elvesuvio Member+

Feb 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    DINHOLIO BAGGIOOOOO

24. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That was an error by Buffon. I wonder if he was rushed. If so another bad move.

25. Unico10

Unico10 Member

Nov 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So... we can all make fun of some of the names of the guys left home...

BUT today's games made my point.

Argentina was 0-0 and had one guy that out of nowhere with a magical left foot put a curler in the net... mmmhhhh I wonder if we had someone like that.

Germany losing 2-1 to Ghana put in an old striker with maybe 15 minute in his leg and he tied the game on a corner kick... mmmhhh I wonder if we left home a couple of guys like that.

Hope we do not regret taking too many carbon-copies and only 5 strikers.