Alert: COPA DEL MONDO BRAZIL 2014: GROUP STAGE (2) ITALY VS COSTA RICA, ARENA PERNAMBUCO, RECIFE

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by FORZA NAPOLI <3, Jun 14, 2014.

1. OldLady

OldLady Member+

Sep 8, 2011
    Berlin
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  2. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Disagree, as you say they play recklessly and that's the perfect game for and style Italy take advantage of. Yes Italy will need to be up for it but if they move the ball well and quickly they can leave the very limited Uruguay midfield struggling. Players like Gargano for Uruguay make Gattuso look like Pirlo on the ball.
    Suarez does lift these guys a level or two in all round play and each players game but Italy will not be as naive as England at letting a half fit player rule the game.

Deand21594 repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    un pareggio per tutte e due le squadre con un finale drammatico!;)

4. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Their is nothing special about Colombia...a lot of their players are Serie A journeyman. There was nothing special about Costa Rica either. However, what these teams have (including Chile) are quick, fast, and fit players. You can't go to South America...with all of your group games in Northern Brazil....and think that some of your older or fatter (Cassano) players are going to do well.

If some of you don't think a Rossi would have made a difference yesterday, then you don't understand the player. He's smart, knows how to beat the offside trap, is a lethal finisher, and rarely has bad touches. He also scores among the highest on his team at fitness tests. Dumb dumb dumb move bringing Cassano and leaving Rossi home. Toni would have been a disaster here. He runs like he is on quicksand in cold Serie A games. Imagine here.

That said...this is the team we are stuck with so Prandelli needs to be smarter at this point. Move Darmian back to the right, get Balotelli some help, keep Motta off the field...and we have a chance.

5. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    I said exactly the opposite.

6. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    BTW...for all the Suarez ass kissing on this thread, I'd much rather be in Italia's position this final game than Uruguay's. We have 2 results out of 3. Let's have some perspective.

Stamos repped this.
  7. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wonder if the result would have been different if De Sciglio had been fit and played so that Darmian was available to play on the right. Paletta.......

Pasqual should have been included in the 23.

indestructible repped this.
  8. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    a team that will feel no pressure whatsoever to play recklessy

Your words. Which is true, they play an all or nothing game, its always shit or bust and this suits how Italy play

vesuviani repped this.
  9. stucazzo81

stucazzo81 Member

May 15, 2009
    New Jersey
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Spot on. The likes of Cassano and Motta shouldn't play another minute for the NT. I would toss Aquaman in there too. Huge mistake leaving Rossi at home. Huge mistake.

10. ITALIA1982

ITALIA1982 Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Giaccherini was Prandelli's biggest mistake, I honestly was surprised for his not included

1. his tireless & speed on the wing was an absolute must
    2. his show in the the confed cup and experience in Brazil
    3. we almost reached the final

why Prandelli did you ignore him

krado33 and jerrito repped this.
  11. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    In the end, how many debutantes did Prandelli bring to Brasil? Most coaches use the qualifiers and friendlies to put a core team together. Prandelli practically started from scratch.

Stamos and ArtemioD repped this.
  12. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is part of the reason why Spain went out. Diego Costa never played one competitive game for them and they decided to throw him right into the fire.

13. dnesH

dnesH Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Insigne-Immobile-Cerci!!!!

Drop Balotelli, the most overrated piece of shit in the world. He just stand there and expect the midfield to feed him.He don't even bothering running down the channels, forcing the opponents defense to open up.If you look at Immobile at Torino, his off the ball movement is amazing.He always drag the opponents defense,thus creating the space for others to exploit.

Parcae repped this.
  14. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He scores goals. Who else does that for Italy? I am all for trying something new but Balotelli was not to blame for receiving little service. Immobile would probably not have fared any better the way we played. You simply can not feed your striker very little and expect him to eat a lot.

15. elvesuvio

elvesuvio Member+

Feb 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  16. Parcae

Parcae Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Who else has been given a chance to score goals for Italy over the past few years? Balotelli has been the no. 9 in almost every competitive match. It's absurd to complain that Immobile hasn't scored goals for Italy when he has only played 20 minutes (and 20 minutes of Italy playing 10 men behind the ball, at that).

I am not arguing that Immobile is a panacea. He is very good at what he does, but what he does is rather limited. That said, he punishes offside traps like few others. I think that he would definitely have made a difference against CR - it was the perfect match for him.

In general, I have noticed that Italy's B team works harder than the A team in matches we "should" win. I don't think that Insigne-Immobile-Cerci would have been as dead on their feet as Marchisio-Balo-Candreva.

jerrito repped this.
  17. Free Sempre X

Free Sempre X Member

Nov 3, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On an optimistic note ...

Uruguay can't afford to sit back and play on the counter vs. Italy on Tuesday, because they *need* to win to progress. Italy can draw and progress, or win and progress, but Uruguay have to go all-out.

That is an advantage to us, and means we should see a more open game. Best scenario of all for Italy would be to score early, and then let Uruguay come at us (leaving chances to counter).

Prandelli needs to get the starting XI right. Darmian on the right, De Sciglio left, Verratti next to Pirlo, Balotelli with some support up top.

Crediamoci!

Stamos and jerrito repped this.
  18. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Until this year who was Immobile. Some Juve reject. That's who. If he was anything special Juventus would not have sold him for peanuts. And by the way how many goals did he score in last summer's U-21?

19. vesuviani

vesuviani Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    Toronto
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  20. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This was so strange to me too. A lot of his selections came out of nowhere, while throughout all this time, he has been preaching consistency and building a proper program.

Leaving Rossi at home was also very strange.

Bringing Cassano along after ignoring him for two years was another weird decision.

Bringing 7 central midfielders..another one.

Prandelli, for all the respect I have for him and the optimism I've given him throughout his tenure, has made some really strange decisions in the last little while. Not to mention, he preaches positive football and all I see on the pitch is us trying to be a poor man's Spain, circa 2010. Short passes in the midfield going nowhere. We are almost more negative than we've ever been and the kicker? Our defense can't make up for it as we have no elite defenders. All very strange and depressing to be a fan.

This has to change and I'm hoping we pull off a miracle and it starts changing ASAP.

21. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A day later, and this loss still stings like a bitch. Can't believe how awful we were

22. ITALIA1982

ITALIA1982 Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Prandelli should revert to catenaccio (as much as i hate to say it) in his game against uruguay and hit on the counter, obviously his open attacking mind with this weak midfield is not working !!

ArtemioD repped this.
  23. dnesH

dnesH Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Leaving someone like Pasqual at home and picks shit like Aquilani,Motta and Cassano....

24. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Uruguay have said they'll be playing the same tactic

25. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    holy quotes batman.
    one thing everyone ignores about insigne including the media who know fcuk all about calcio and are slating insigne on twitter saying he was the worst, well its a load of bollox becuase insigne won the ball back from costa rica near our box a few times and tracked back, something the other subs didnt bother to do

if there is truth to this then its a disgracefull arrogant attitude and its why we were 2nd best in every department, not least because its put us in a worse position as we could have lost to uruguay and still finsih 2nd, now we must avoid defeat, and guess what? these bunch of retards will play for a draw then go a goal down n the last 10 minutes and will have no answer.

now we need to only draw so what do we do? go for a win or play it safe?
    you're right cavani wasnt impressive, if you only look at goals or chances.

as i wrote above, insigne tracked back and won tackles, i think he gave a shit, prandelli was the real problem, insigne out wide, cerci out wide, cassano somewhere in the center, one attacker in the box, less men in midfield, cassano was senseless, he should have brought immobile on and stuck him in the box with balo, give costa rica's defenders somehing to do i.e their jobs, we, i mean prandelli made their jobs easy, prandelli was a complete amatuer yesterday going into this game and during it, insigne also knows immobile well, cassano kept ignoring insigne or and made bad choices,

immobile does not have balotelli's talant, immobile works hard at being a good striker and to be better, its a shame balo doesnt have his atitude, but you just cant drop balo, if he's really shit during the game then you can sub him.

you cant just look at stats, immobile sacrificed himself for the team in that tooney and helped others get goals by holding up the ball etc, he hardly had any chances to score, he was unselfish as he was in the italy friendly where he passed to insigne twice when he could have just shot

jerrito repped this.