Copa das Confederações 2013: The test to the Cup [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Denilson70, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Bonucci FDP... :D

Rivelino87 repped this.
  2. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Ele deu uma de Baggio.

3. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    game of the century... lulz

4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Thanks Bonucci! My Sunday has been saved!

5. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Seriously.

There is a famous soccer pub here in New York City known as Nevada Smith's. There are autographed jerseys of European players but also one of RG10. It's supposedly the unofficial Manchester United headquarters of NY. I was there for England-Brazil in 2002 (I was booed when I walked in).

It was renovated, and I haven't been there for a soccer match in over a decade. I may go this time just for the occasion - I have seen Brazil matches (2004 Copa America at a Brazilian bar, and when Adriano tied, I lost my voice) in Brazilian and Latino bars/restaurants in Manhattan, in Queens, and in New Jersey. But I haven't been to Nevada's in a while. Anybody here who knows NYC and loves soccer has probably heard of Nevada's.

As that cool Euro '96 tune goes, "football's coming home..." to RIO!!!!!

6. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I would have loved hearing the boos for that England game.

I was at a bar with an Argentine bartender for CA 05 and we made a friendly wager :D

7. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    You mean 2004.

I walked in when the bar was not yet full, with a Brazil jersey and our flag draped around my shoulders. I barely set ONE foot in the door and the booing started. But otherwise, they left me alone. This is another reason I respect English football. Their fans are passionate, but they don't get personal. (Some) Argentines - as I wrote here years ago when I went to Giants Stadium - are a different matter. This is why beating Argentina is far more fun than beating England. I have no rivalry with the English - I actually like them (and in 2002 eu vibrei muito quando o Beckham marcou aquele gol e a Inglaterra ganhou da Argentina).

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Is it too late to move the final to Fortaleza or Fonte Nova ? :sneaky:

Anyways, should be a good final. Not sure what to expect. Italy made Spain look bad by being very tactically obedient. I am not sure we can play like that.

9. worms

worms Red Card

Mar 28, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    We are soo
    Overhyped? We have won 2 Euros and 1 WC on the trot. It's essentially like winning 3 World Cups, some of our squad members have actually said it's harder to win the Euros because there is much more quality in each group and is therefore hard to just qualify from a group. Last years Euros there was a group with Denmark, Portugal, Holland and Germany as well as a group of Italy, Spain, Croatia and Ireland. Ireland being shit just made it harder for us because that meant Italy and Croatia would definitely beat them.

10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    The scary part about this is that it's WINTER in Brazil right now yet certain sections of the country are still hot even by North American/European standards. SP, Curitiba, Santa Catarina, and of course, the state of Rio Grande do Sul get cold. But that's all. Even then - I remember when I visited Brazil in the mid-1990s in June. Everybody was wearing jackets. I was wearing a silk shirt with nothing under it. The worst winter day in SP is like a chilly fall day in NY. Bring them baianos, sergipanos, or paraenses to NY (forget about Boston or northeastern New England) in February and they'll see what winter really is.

11. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    When a world power like Italy is being shoved to the side and not even given 5% chance of winning, yes, the media is overhyping you. No doubt that Spain were clear favorites and deservedly so, but any world power shouldn't be simply discarded.

NotreDameFlamengo repped this.
  12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    SP gets fairly cold in the winter and will be good for Europeans. Rio is not bad either. Not sure about BH. But can't be that bad. Manaus, Fortaleza, and Salvador will be the worse by far.

13. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Goddammit, don't tell me those idiots went that far...

The European asskissing is really amusing. I imagine that after the USA eliminated Spain after 2009, the American commentators themselves were actually saying it was luck...

If an American were to follow a European and the latter comes to a sudden halt, the former's head would go halfway up the European's ass.

14. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Sao Marcos's debut, 13/11/99 - and 0-0!

15. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Nevada's is nice - i went there for the Brazil-Japan game. it's very nice inside and easy to watch a tv no matter where you stand. you'll have fun for the final - i would love to join for a drink but i have a game to play at 6 so i'll be watching the game from home as soon as my game ends or i'll just have the game on my phone - haha

my only complaint and you'll notice it too is where they have the autographed RG10 shirt. i think they could have placed it in a more visible location :) my friends and i complained about that when we were there 2 weeks ago!

Legend's on 33rd street between 5th and 6th is the home of the Man United supporters today.

16. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
  17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This is why Forlan was smiling right before he took the PK. :D

“Joguei com o Forlán na Inter de Milão durante um ano. Por isso, fiz uma brincadeira com ele e falei: ‘você vai bater forte e no meio’. Ele riu e acabou se entregando. Naquela hora, pensei que já tinha tirado uma opção dele. Foi mais uma coisa para desestabilizá-lo”, explicou.

Good job JC ... mind games :thumbsup:

Catracho_Azul and PapaDoc23 repped this.
  18. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    not really, Greece, Denmark won the Euros but they were NO BODY at WC level PLEEEEZZZZ

Look, without Brazil (5WC), Argentina (2WC) and Uruguay (2WC), = 9 / 19 WC,
    Euro is just like 55% level of WC in difficulty !

Spain have played a great football and on course to leave a fine foot print in football history, but do NOT overhype them. They were caught red hands vs USA, Portugal, France, Chile and ... earlier game vs Italy w/o 3 main players

19. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Failure to win the World Cup does not make a team a nobody per se.

The great Netherlands of 1988 was an excellent team and it rightfully conquered Europe that year. 2 years ago, it was still a very good side, but it was eliminated by a team that was even better – and which simply managed to get the job done: West Germany. This doesn’t mean the Dutch are “nobodies.”

Brazil’s own hated nemesis Argentina was always a serious soccer nation, but it was not until 1978 that it did anything significant on the World Cup stage. Yet by then, it had won 12 Copa América tournaments.

Some have argued that the European Championship is a World Cup without Brazil and Argentina. That may be a stretch, but it’s an interesting claim. The World Cup often involves “minnows” from Africa and Asia and Oceania. There are effectively no minnows in the European Championship. The Copa América isn’t an easy tournament, but other than a few blips in the radar over many years, it has been essentially a Brazil-Argentina-Uruguay tournament. Colombia won it in 2001, Paraguay in 1979 and in 1953, Peru in 1975 and in 1939, and Bolivia in 1963. And until not a very long time ago, these other CONMEBOL teams really couldn’t put much of a fight against Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay. In comparison, European NTs have been more “level” for quite a long time. That’s a reason we haven’t see repeat champions as often as we have seen them in South America.

Imagine a World Cup group with Denmark, Portugal, Germany, and Holland! When have we last seen a group of death of this magnitude? Perhaps Argentina, England, Sweden, and Nigeria in 2002.

Worms’ argument that Spain is not overhyped is a sound one. To win 2 back-to-back Euros with a World Cup in between never occurred until Spain did it. The France of Zidane fell short. Ditto for the West Germany of 1990 or its 1970s counterparts.

There will never be agreement in discussions between UEFA and CONMEBOL fans, and I’m biased as a Brazilian. But whatever happens this Sunday or in 2014, this Euro-WC-Euro treble Spain now has is more than enough to make it one of the greatest teams of all time – a dynasty that will not be forgotten, not unlike the France of Zidane, the Brazil of 1982 (which wasn’t a dynasty), the Dutch of 1974, or the Brazil of Pelé’s heyday. If Spain wins on Sunday, it’ll solidify their reign. If Brazil triumphs, it’ll mark an important step in Brazil’s advancement towards being a contender to be reckoned with in the 2014 World Cup (and a boost in its quest to return to the pinnacle of world soccer).

Furnaccio, axxess mundi and gmonn repped this.
  20. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

I think the confeds is cursed..Whoever wins it will never win the wc.

21. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am sorry i may be wrong but isnt Fernandinho the player which who are looking for (i think he is doing very well ).

22. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He's more of a box to box.

23. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    I was there for the Mexico game last week. The set-up is great, but I've generally been disappointed with the crowd. Not the same as the old Nevada's. Plus, the tacky club lighting scheme is terrible.

I'll be watching tomorrow's final in Williamsburg at a little Brazilian bar called Beco. They have a projection TV. More importantly, I can't be bothered being around a bunch of bandwagon Spain / Miami Heat fans - only Brazilian fans at Beco.

Furnaccio repped this.
  24. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    I'll be spending the day at the beach with a bunch of brasileiros in wilmington, NC and then unfortunately will have to go to a shitty Buffalo Wind Wings to watch it.

25. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lol, where are the rest of them watching it? BWW has no atmosphere for soccer.

Maybe celito can invite you over :p

Emperor Adriano repped this.