News: Copa Argentina Discussion (R)

Discussion in 'Argentina: Clubs' started by Andrés_, Oct 15, 2010.

1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Octavos de Final (Round of Sixteen) Results:
    - Rosario Central 2 - 1 Belgrano
    - Boca 1 (11) - 1 (10) Olimpo
    - Deportivo Merlo 2 - 1 Sarmiento (J)
    - Tigre 1 - 0 Argentinos Jrs.
    - River 2 - 1 Quilmes
    - San Lorenzo 1 (5) - 1 (4) Barracas Central
    - Racing 2 - 0 Sarmiento (R)
    - Atletico Tucuman o (4) - 0 (3) Atletico Rafaela
    Up next..
    Cuartos de Final (Quarter Finals) Schedule:
    - Rosario Central vs. Boca
    - Deportivo Merlo vs. Tigre
    - River vs. San Lorenzo
    - Racing vs. Atletico Tucuman

2. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Quarter Finals scores:

Racing 1 - 0 Atletico Tucuman
    River 2 - 0 San Lorenzo

Tigre will face Deportivo Merlo next week, while the Boca-Central game has been pushed back to May 30th due to the Xeneizes' participation in the Copa Libertadores.

The first semifinal has been confirmed, however: River will face Racing on June 3rd.

3. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I would not mind seeing the canallas and Tigre play in the semis(sorry bosteros). Father's club side is Central and I have a lot of cousins who support Central, can shut them up(minus my dad of course). But probably will be Boca-Tigre. Have had some good games in recent times against each other.

4. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well Deportivo Merlo defeated Tigre today and became the third semifinalist (along with River and Racing). They await the result of Rosario Central-Boca next week to determine who they will face.

Although Tigre used an alternative team today, I think there is no doubt that Deportivo Merlo is the surprise of the tournament. Not only did they make it this far, but they eliminated strong teams like Estudiantes and Tigre in the process. Not bad.

5. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Quarter Finals Results:
    - Rosario Central 1 (2) - 1 (4) Boca
    - Deportivo Merlo 2 - 1 Tigre
    - River 2 - 0 San Lorenzo
    - Racing 1 - 0 Atletico Tucuman
    Semifinals (to be played this Sunday):
    - In Salta: River - Racing
    - In Catamarca: Boca - Deportivo Merlo

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No disrespect to Racing or Deportivo Merlo, but it would be cool if Boca played River in the final. I miss the superclasico. Beating them in the summer with subs is not quite the same.

7. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No superclasico.. :(
    Semifinals Results:
    - River: 0 (4) - 0 (5) Racing
    - Boca 1 (5) - 1 (4) Deportivo Merlo

Final:
    - Boca - Racing

8. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Gio Moreno sold to a Chinese club and will miss the final vs. Boca:
    http://www.ole.com.ar/racing/cuento-Gio_0_719328472.html

Incredible.. you might as well hand the trophy to Boca already, he was the only decent player Racing had.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't care about this one anymore. I guess I'll be watching when the time comes, but if Boca wins the Libertadores or the Clausura -or both- it's going to be just an afterthought, and if they don't win them then it's going to be small consolation. At least if it was River it would have been more fun. Damn gayinas can't make their penalties!

10. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well the bosteros were cagones and asked to postpone the Copa Argentina final due to their participation in the Libertadores. What for? The Argentine season is practically over, so they won't have anything to play but (possibly) a couple games in the Libertadores. They could easily play an additional game in between, or at least use subs if they don't want injuries.

http://www.ole.com.ar/copa-argentina/final-fecha-sede_0_722328117.html

Anyway, the final between Racing and Boca will be played on August 8th. :rolleyes: Who knows, maybe we'll see completely different teams by then with new reinforcements.

11. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    The 2012 final between Boca and Racing has been scheduled many times due to fixture congestion. The latest date (as of June 23) is (according to the official copaargentina website) August 8, 2012, at the Bicentennial Stadium in San Juan, no kickoff time set yet. http://www.copaargentina.org/es/fixture/fase-final

Hopefully, it will grow into something worthwhile, the potential romance of small community clubs potentially making it to the national cup final is wonderful, tho it would never match the English FA Cup for that (tho in Germany and France there have been instances of amateur sides making it to the final in the last decde). As for now, it elicits confused faces from most Argentines, even futbol fans. Anything new takes time, especially in Argentina.

Living in Mendoza, I was hoping to pop over to that new stadium in SJ (nice and intimate, was there twice for the Copa America) for the final, but no way on a Wednesday, as I work to 10 pm Wednesdays :(

Dale Boca!

12. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You live in Mendoza and you're a boca fan? At least you didn't jump on the bandwagon or anything

Support your local club

13. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    I do support the local clubs, going and cheering for Tomba, Independiente Rivadavia and Gimnasio y E (de mendoza) when I can, but have been a Boca fan even before Maradona was born.

80% of Cuyos are gallinas, I have had a fun year of it so far. Yesterday was like a huge party in the streets, snake-bit River fans finally letting off steam everywhere. I will KEEP A LOW PROFILE UNTIL the Copa Libertadores final matches.

14. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

You wont be going out for a.long time I guess now

15. Rojitas

Rojitas New Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Well, my dear Boca suffered a few problems on this days, but I have good expectations about ithis final match, I won't be easy, Racing is creating a good team and Boca is hurt (mostly because of Riquelme's exit), but Boca is Boca, I hope we will make a good match.
    Let's make again like in the '69, Make Angel Rojas & company be proud of the team!

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Final phase of La Copa begins this week! The champion will earn a spot in the 2014 Copa Libertadores. Unfortunately, the retarded rule where the best performing team in the Copa Sudamericana qualifies for the CL will still be in effect in 2013. :thumbsdown: This means it will be very difficult to qualify for those teams who perform consistently throughout the season, and not just in cup competitions. So La Copa will carry added importance.

Discuss.

17. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm a bit confused: the Copa Argentina 2011-12 ended in July, while the 2012-13 one hasn't even started. What final phase?? :confused:

Edit: Got it.. the first phase of the new Copa begins tomorrow, I'm assuming that's what you meant.

18. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think it is better if teams qualify for the copa based on league position. I think its good that the copa argentina gets more importance, but it also means there will be more random teams qualifying for the copa.

Next season there will already be Arsenal who was a champion by fluke and has really no chance of doing anything in the copa, unless of course grondona can by them some games like he did in the 2007 Copa Sudamericana

19. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Don't forget that new thing that the best performer of the Sudamericana also qualifies.

Also the winner of this cup will play against the league's season champion the Argentine Supercup 2013.

20. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Something curious happened in the cup yesterday, Madiyú defeated Textil Mandiyú, it was the first time these two met for an official AFA tournament.

Fine, what's so special about this? Those who are younger may not remember but Club Deportivo Mandiyú, from Corrientes, played in the the first division between 1988 and 1995 until they got relegated, but didn't compete in the second division due economical problems the club dissappeared.
    So in 1998 Club Social y Deportivo Textil Mandiyú was founded as a "reincarnation" of the dissappeared Mandiyú and slowly made their way to the fourth division where they have been since some years ago.
    But in 2010 the original Club Deportivo Mandiyú was reopened and quickly reached the fourth division, this currently causes a problem to Textil Mandiyu's credibility as Mandiyu's successor and yesterday they got to play against each other(later in the season they'll have to play against each other for the league).

21. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  22. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love all the English names throughout Argentina. I've heard of most of these, but what's "Midland"? Is that the name of the locale they are from too?

I'm glad to see a cup in Argentina. A favorite blogger of mine is an expat from the U.S. in TdF somewhere, but I know nothing of their footballing scene.

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    So what is the timetable for wrapping this tournament up? The new season is less than 4 weeks away and they still haven't finished the octavos de final yet. :confused:

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    *BUMP*

Quarterfinals take place next week (14 August):
    (red = second division team; blue = third division)
    Arsenal v Godoy Cruz
    Estudiantes LP v All-Boys

Estudiantes de Caseros v Talleres
    Gimnasia y Esgrima de Concepcion del Uruguay v San Lorenzo

On paper, San Lorenzo with a pretty clear path to the final. Of course they'll be playing two legs against River in the Copa Sudamericana around the same time so its a hectic schedule for them. Three possible path to the 2014 Copa Libertadores for San Lorenzo.

25. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This tournament is a joke. I can't believe you get a birth in the copa libertadores for winning it. I hope a team like Gimnasia or Estudiantes de BA wins so the AFA scratches this terrible idea.

locoxriver repped this.