Copa America, USA-2016, General Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by omajac, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    It's too early to tell as one may have made those declarations in the heat of the moment, but if Messi does leave for good, it'll have a great impact on their team. If Messi and Mascherano both leave, it is likely to unleash a mass defection.

If therefore the rumors that several of the players are going to retire at once are true, they will be in a somewhat similar situation as us - a need to rebuild. And how ironic, as Brazil and Argentina are both 2 years from the World Cup and will have to start from scratch.

Tite as new Brazil NT already with the drawing board on hand. Argentina will keep Martino, but he'll have to select a dramatically different roster, and time will be needed for the squad to gel. Who would've thought that 2 years from Germany's tetra, that the both of the two principal South American powers would be at such a critical juncture, with Brazil reeling from a historic defeat on home ground whereas Argentina kept the foundation of the same squad which reached 3 straight finals.

2. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That would imply people are being rational. They watch just as much euro football as me and probably more to be honest and they think Argentina needs more pieces.. They have plenty of talent and good young talent too.

3. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And messi retiring proves he's a little bitch, I hate to put it so simply but think about it, whenever a team breaks up barca's rhythm what happens ? Little Lionel goes milk carton like against Bayern. For someone who is praised as a great dribbler he has one dribble , just a shoulder dip lol. He just doesn't have the fight and people need to accept it. But instead we say kun and higuian are garbage? Look at other top ten international teams and then analyze. The euros this year are a perfect example of how a teams rhythm can be broken up. Queresma might have had the biggest impact of tourney out of the wingers so far lol. So spare me the messi needs more pieces when you really mean he needs iniesta and Suarez.

4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'd venture to say that this is a worldwide issue with #9s. Which #9 in the world consistently performs and scores in big games? Ibra was invisible in the Euros. Lewandowski hasn't done anything of note nor has he scored in the Euros. Harry Kane has been invisible in the Euros. Vardy and Sturridge only scored as subs. The only #9 I've seen in recent times that has risen to the occasion has been Suarez.

celito and MatthausSammer repped this.
  5. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    CR7 hasn't been "Real Madrid CR7" for Portugal on a consistent basis either, let's not try to act like this is just a Messi problem.

6. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    MerlinRM repped this.
  7. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think the rosters are quite different and there is a considerable gap in quality. This may be CR7's best supporting cast and that kind of makes my point. Who would I rather pair with up front postiga/Hugo almeida or higuian/kun? Who would I rather have at wing , queresma/Nani or di Maria/lavezzi or Argentina's other ten options. Back line is the only place where Portugal has more talent and the back line isn't Argentinas problem.

8. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fair point.

9. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    A lot of those guys aren't blessed with a lot talent surrounding them internationally though like they do for club.

10. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In general, NTs aren't as "stacked" as clubs are (at least in the big leagues).

MatthausSammer repped this.
  11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Higuain vs Chile not in a Final :ROFLMAO:

12. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Argentina also lost to Germany in the 2014 final.. but just one month after, they put 4 goals passed Germany in a friendly.. GAMES that don't matter..

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This wasn't a friendly, it was a WCQ game ... And a much tougher finish .

14. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Yeh I know.. Argentina also beat Chile in Santiago during recent WCQ 2-1 and another 2-1 victory during the group stage of Copa America.. But once they reach the finals, well.... you know what happens.

15. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Tite was in the stadium and I'm sure he took notes. I'm looking forward to see how much the national team's style of play changes under him.

16. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    By the Way.. See you guys in QUITO.. I'm looking foward to playing you guys in September.

MerlinRM repped this.
  17. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Thanks bro! I'm trying to see if my cousins and I can make the trip up there for the game since I'll be in Brazil for the rest of the year. It'll be my first time if I go.

18. pololo

pololo Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Sweden/Stockholm
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I heard Fred had a mental breakdown after all the trash he got from Brazil . Is it true?

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  20. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lol hell no.

21. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Your going to Quito? That's Awesome!! My Country Ecuador is a very beautiful place.. but unfortunately I haven't been to Ecuador, for a couple years now.. I Live in New York City, but I always keep in touch with my family, back in Ecuador.. I have family in both Quito and Guayaquil.. I know your going to Quito, just for the WCQ match.. but while you're there, I recommend you check out La Capilla del Hombre.. it's a very beautiful art museum, your going to LOVE IT! I also recommend you check out the Pichincha Volcano! It's an ACTIVE Volcano, but DON'T BE SCARED, it hasn't erupted since 2002.. and it's very high up the mountains.. after you check out the volcano, you should head over to Ciudad mitad del mundo. It's a very beautiful monument and very appealing to the eyes. Like I said before, my family lives in Quito and Guayaquil.. but I prefer Quito!!! I love Quito! Guayaquil is at sea level, while Quito is much much HIGHER.. So if your not used to the Altitude, just take it easy.. Walk SLOW, until you get used to the Height.. Also the attractions, don't just stop in Quito.. the rest of ECUADOR is Beautiful.. my Country has one of the most diverse species of Wildlife in the world!!! I recommend you check out Galapagos Islands, a Province of Ecuador.. Have a nice trip and take care.. :thumbsup:

MerlinRM repped this.
  22. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    I wouldn't say he had a mental breakdown but his confidence was shattered for a while.

23. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So I guess we're not gonna have a friendly before the WCQ's in September!!

24. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007
    Yes, and I don't see us having a good time in Ecuador high altitude- no oxygen!

25. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hopefully! I'll be in Brazil from August until the New Year and am trying to squeeze in as many trips as I can since the Real is weak right . Quito should be doable. Thanks for the advice!

fafaco repped this.