Copa America, USA-2016, General Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by omajac, Feb 21, 2016.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    7 and counting. Sleep well Argentina

Kaka10725 repped this.
  2. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    But there are still some things that put a smile on my face.

:)

celito and Mengão86 repped this.
  3. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    They should ban Higuian from the NT.

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Last 4 games Argentina went 2 wins and 2 ties vs chile ... Chile with 2 titles

5. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Will Messi win something with them?

6. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Holy shit the Argies are bottlers. Always a warm feeling to see them lose in finals.

Ironically I'm watching with 2 buddies of mine who are brothers and whose parents are Argentine and Chilean. Each roots for each country. The one who roots for Argentina is distraught while the one who roots for Chile is thrilled. Out of the 3 of us, the Argie has never seen his country win an international trophy. Kind of sad:cry::ROFLMAO:.

7. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Tenho pena deles, e olha que eu honestamente achei que eles iam ganhar hoje, ainda mais depois do Chile ter um jugador expulso no primeiro tempo.

A seca continua. A PIOR parte (pra eles) foi quando o Messi errou o chute dele.

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    chances just got real dim for him. He Is gonna need real help if he is to win something . It's amazing in these tough games Argentina can't get him many decent scoring chances.

9. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Maybe they can sign iniesta for little Lionel, oh wait.... Not like masherano wasn't world class in the midfield this tourney smh... Banega was also really good this tourney.

10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Chile "cozinhou" the game after Rojo was red-carded. I thought it was going to be a goleada for Argentina after Chile went down to 10 men, but they were tactically smart, and if Heber Lopes did an awful job in the 1st half, in the 2nd, it was the players who made the game less stellar than it could've been.

As for Messi winning anything, I doubt it. 2014 should've been his year - he'll still be great in 2018, but it'll be an older team and unless they do a very good job of building the team for Russia, Messi will not win the World Cup.

11. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Build a time machine and bring back a prime batistuta

12. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well on to Brazil 2019!!

MerlinRM repped this.
  13. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    They're playing a techno version of the 2002 World Cup musical track! Memories, those....

14. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Messi and Mascherano have announced their retirement from the NT.

I can't stop laughing. They're truly broken.

We lost 7-1 at home and all the players who participated have come back like nothing happened and all has been forgotten. But I guess 3 straight finals loses is more traumatic.

15. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I have a feeling Messi said that out of the heat of the moment. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Mascherano means it. The guy is the ultimate workhorse; had he been born Brazilian, he would've started for us in 2006, 2010, and 2014.

I also read Kun Aguero has also retired. No comment on that one.

16. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So this Copa that was never meant to be has cost the international careers of Dunga and Messi. What pointless, stupid tournament.

17. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hopefully 2019 will be our new '89, the year we turned the corner internationally.

18. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Most of the players from that debacle disappeared from the NT entirely never to be heard from again though.

19. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Japanese NT would've committed Seppuku after a result like that. Brazilians don't have a sense of shame or historical perspective or at least fail to acknowledge it. At times, I wonder if we branched out from humanity into the proverbial "Homo Sovieticus".

MerlinRM repped this.
  20. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    I can't get away from all the retiring news...

This is when I'm glad our National team gives us something from time to time... Be it a Confed a Copa or anything at all... these guys haven't seen that since 1995...

21. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #271 MerlinRM, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    Not really. Everyone from that starting XI besides JC, Fred, Dante, and Bernard has been called back up and some routinely. If you are talking about the bench players included, most were randoms whose selection was questionable anyway.

Heck the inclusion of Fred in the NT is a serious discussion every once in a while.

22. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    The pressure on the Brazilian NT is just as bad. Maradona didn't help with his comments the other day. If we lost 3 straight finals, I think our players would call it quits as well. Btw, I think Messi comes back.

Fun fact: since 1993 Argentina has lost 7 straight finals while Brazil have won 10 out of 14 finals. :whistling:

Guigs and MerlinRM repped this.
  23. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007
    The final should have been 3-0 for Argentina... Incredible goal lost by Higuain alone in front of goalie...
    This game reminded me of 2014 between Brasil and Mexico, and its impact on the morale of the team.
    But we did not "retire" from the NT!

24. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You'd think their striker situation was like ours with such a statement.

25. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    To be fair, Aguero consistently underperforms for Argentina and we know Higuain can't score in the finals.