News: Copa America to align with Euros

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Unak78, Mar 20, 2017.

?

How do you feel about this turn of events?

1. Happy about this and all it entails...

21 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Happy about the fact that they're switching to the Euro schedule... pero en los Estados Unidos...

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. Not happy about any of this and I hate change. I don't even like to change clothes,... or bathwater

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Heck guys like Villa and el Nino Torres may be called up for nostalgia's sake. :p

2. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Umm...did I miss something. Is this a done deal?

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Who said it was a done deal?

4. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You (Nico) and @Rickdog are probably most likely right on this but I got a feeling an exception will happen this one more. And afterwards, there won't be a need to continue to offer 'insurance' because it's almost a given that almost European nation will return nor be invited because of both tournaments coinciding on the same year every 4 years. Again, I'm probably way off on this but it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Either way, as @HomietheClown said, it's still a good idea for 2019 (I mean, they must have spoken with those nations prior to announcing it) no matter what type of team comes.

5. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Nah, the intent to invite these nations is set but everything else is still in early stages. These European nations may not even accept the invitation but I'm thinking they will even if it's not their 'A' teams. Again, I'm probably completely wrong on this but let's see what happens.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It would not be the first time the Euro teams have declined invitations to the Copa.

But this speculation seems to have a little more legs to it.
    We shall see.

7. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #132 Rickdog, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Not entirely true.

It's true that the US wasn't considered as a first option invited team, in the next Copa America's. But as second choice or alternative invited team, they did get considered.

For 2011, after the Japan earthquake, as Japan retired due to it, with only one month before the tournament was to begin, lots of other teams were considered as invited substitute teams, where lots of them rejected that invitation (the US, among them), being Costa Rica, whom accepted.

For 2015, after both China and Japan, rejected the invitation, pretty much the same happened, where the US became considered as the first alternative replacement option from Concacaf, but they rejected it right away, not even giving time for an official invitation, reasons why Jamaica got invited instead.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, we know why the secondary invites were turned down. The Copa Oro is a priority.

9. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #134 Rickdog, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Sure, reasons why for 2011, when Costa Rica accepted the invitation, they said from the first day that they will go with an under 23 team, which was accepted by Conmebol (at the time, Jack Warnr.

Not only teams from Concacaf were considered for 2011. Last moment invitations were also given to Spain, Honduras, Canada and the US.

Btw, Mexico at a certain moment did consider sending their "A" team to Copa America and send the alternative team to the "other" competition, but high Concacaf officials exercised pressure at FIFA, to not allow them do that, and force them to give priority to the Mickey mouse golden Cup, instead. It was this issue, which meant FIFA to establish the rule, that players would be released only to their respectful Confederation nations tournaments, as before it, to get the releasement of many players, it was made under an agreement between the FA's with the clubs to which they belonged.

10. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Another great positive outcome of the 'realignment' of Copa America will be that it will no longer coincide at times with the Gold Cup. This will almost guarantee Concacaf teams, that accept the Conmebol's invitation, on bringing their 'A' team. Right? Or am I wrong in this assumption also? :cool:

11. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Two tournaments in one summer? This sucks for MLS. And for European based players, at some point they need a summer of rest. Maybe they'll invite two European teams that didn't qualify for Russia.

As for the USA and Mexico, do you B team this tournament or B team the Gold Cup?

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, with the rumors of the Confederations Cup being scrapped after this year there may be less incentive for the USA and Mexico to send their very best to every Gold Cup from now on.
    The Copa America will probably be more appealing and will probably be higher on the priority list.

13. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2017 GC could determine if USA or Mexico bring a B team or A Team to the 2019 Copa.

If USA wins the 2017 GC, then Mexico will focus more on the 2019 GC.

If Mexico wins the 2017 GC, then USA will focus more on the 2019 GC.

For those that don't know each GC winner is awarded a spot to the CONCACAF Cup. The winner of the CONCACAF Cup goes to the Confed Cup in 2021.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Assuming there is a Confederations Cup in 2021. Qatar has already said they don't want to host such event. (And it would have been too harsh during the Summer months even if they did.)

15. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are just rumors... has FIFA announced anything official on eliminating the Confed Cup?

Edit: I believe FIFA took it away from Qatar, and plans to give it to another country.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nope, just rumors.
    But with there being very little interest in Russia it does not look good for the future of the tournament.

And assuming they do play it in Japan or Korea or wherever what would be the incentive for Mexico and the USA? For the last few cycles the Federations viewed it as a World Cup dress rehearsal in the host country. That would not be the case in 2021 so I see very little upside other than facing a Euro Champion you would not normally face .
    (whoopty doo)

17. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Little interest in Russia???... it does not start until mid June.

True it wont be a dress rehearsal in Qatar, but it will still be an international tournament against quality teams, directly before the WC. I think teams will still want to play in it and take it serious.

If FIFA does plan to scrap it, I think they will make an announcement before the the 2017 GC starts and other regional summer tournaments start. The start of the 2021 Confed Cup cycle kicks off in 2017, at least it does for CONCACAF. I don't think they will make an announcement to eliminate it after the summer of 2017.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Little interest not only from fans in ticket sales but from sponsors and advertisers.

Yes, it is an international tournament against quality teams but the Copa America would have better teams in quality and quantity so I can see the Federations being tempted to put it as a priority instead of the Confederations Cups or Gold Cups.

19. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Copa in question is in 2019... the Confed Cup is in 2021, probably less then a year before the 2022 WC.

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    True.
    But with a Copa in 2019 and 2020 (allegedly) and a 16 team Gold cup in 2021 (allegedly)...
    .... A 2021 Confederations Cup against some teams in the middle of Asia does not seem needed. They could both just Focus on the Hex and play friendlies if need be. That is the way I see it,

21. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The HEX and friendlies is not the same as an international tournament that takes place at a neutral site over the course of 1 month.

Friendlies could be limited too, because of the Euro LoN's, and potentially CONCACAF's LoNs.

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Hex, Friendlies against South American teams and the 16 team Gold Cup should be enough on the plate. Especially since we see a team like Germany not even wanting to bring an "A" team to Russia.
    What Euro teams are going to want to bring solid teams to a Country that is not even going to host the World Cup?

We shall see how it all plays out but I have a feeling the Copa Americas will be a priority.

23. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It's already kicked off in Asia with 12 nations already qualified for the Asian Cup in 2019, and a current round of qualifiers to determine the rest of teams underway.

Footsatt repped this.
  24. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Again, it's the decision of the clubs because the Copa America is not the confederation championship for the CONCACAF teams. They have guest status meaning the clubs can simply block the call-up and there is nothing the CONCACAF association can do about it.

gringolimon repped this.
  25. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    You arguing that a tournament isn't needed? I never thought I would see the day. :D