News: Copa America to align with Euros

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Unak78, Mar 20, 2017.

?

How do you feel about this turn of events?

1. Happy about this and all it entails...

21 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Happy about the fact that they're switching to the Euro schedule... pero en los Estados Unidos...

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. Not happy about any of this and I hate change. I don't even like to change clothes,... or bathwater

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  3. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  4. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    After reading various online legitimate newspapers on this matter (both in English and Spanish; from both South American and Europe), I'm 99% sure that this is how it's going to go down from now until the next 2 decades at least...

Starting with this upcoming 2019 Copa America, which will be held in Brasil, all future tournaments will have 16 nations participating. The tournament in Brasil will be the last one that will be held in an odd year. In order to 'reset' the tournament right away and have it coincide with the Euro (apparently FIFA is in favor of this because European clubs will have to release their international players only summer instead of two consecutive summers), they will have a Copa America in 2020 in the USA (because, among others things, of their financial success with the Copa America Centenario 2016). As for those who are questioining what kind of teams will the European nations bring for 2019, I think that being how this Copa America will probably be the only and last tournament (at least for while) that will have European nations, I'm thinking that these nations would love to 'steal' one from South America; wouldn't that be a punch in the face, especially in Brasil of all place. Anyway, going forward, Conmebol will introduce a new scheduling format as to who will host the subsequent Copa Americas, which on a personal level, gives me hope... IMHO, Bolivia's 'rotational' spot was taken away unfairly and so I hope this 'reset' will give Bolivia an opportunity to get it back and get it back soon... hopefully as soon as 2024!

If this is accurate, then I don't think there will be another 'Copa America Centenario' for a while (at least by name, host, and if it would ever return) but I think the 2020 Copa America will mirror the Centenario from 2016 and it will be just a great, if not better, since it will once again not 'compete' with the Gold Cup so USA, Mexico, and other North and/or Central American nations could bring their 'A' team if they chose to do so. In fact, since the Copa America would now fall in an even year, USA, Mexico, and company could continue to bring their 'A' team (again, if they chose to do so).

From a level of play standpoint, I think this a great move as every continental tournament will potentially have the 'A' team for every participant. What's more, starting in 2020, when we don't have the summer of the World Cup, we can enjoy two tournaments of nations every summer and it would most likely be more competitive than before.

This 'guaranteed' 2 tourneys every summer (with the highest level of play) would include the League of Nations that Europe will be introducing in 2018. It will be a promotion/relegation type of tournament that will have it's 'pool stage' from September to November and it's 'Final Four' competition in June. There are talks of Concacaf (and I'm sure Conmebol would soon follow afterwards) in creating their own League of Nations. If this happens (I'm sure it will), this will be eliminate 'friendlies' and their 'lack of importance. All those events plus the World Cup qualifying matches, it pretty much guarantees a higher level of competition/tournaments for us to enjoy every year.

To get a visual idea of what I'm talking about, this is what it would look like...

2017 Gold Cup / Confederations Cup
    2018 World Cup / League of Nations (UEFA Pool Stage)
    2019 Copa America Brasil / Gold Cup / League of Nations (UEFA Final Four)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2020 Copa America USA / Euro
    2021 Gold Cup / Confederations Cup
    2022 World Cup / League of Nations (UEFA Pool Stage)
    2023 Gold Cup / League of Nations (UEFA Final Four)
    2024 Copa America / Euro
    2025 Gold Cup / Confederations Cup
    2026 World Cup / League of Nations (UEFA Pool Stage)

Pipiolo repped this.
  5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Japan and China obviously think it is a good idea. Japan was a part of the 1999 tournament and China wants to advance their sport and become a world power one day.

Spain and Portugal may bring "B" teams but hey, that is still better than Jamaica and Panama. Will bring more people to the stands and more eyes to the televisions.

And those "B" team players want to prove that they are as good as the "A" team.

Whatever, I think it is cool.

6. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Can't say much for China but based on the clubs from their premiere league paying top dollar to sign a lot of international stars (the majority of which come from Brasil), I would have to agree. As for Japan, I would say they also think it's a good idea, seeing how there are 1.6 million Japanese or of Japanese descent living in Brasil.

More attendance, more viewers; I agree. And for most, it's pretty obvious that Portugal would think it's a good idea (among other things, both countries sharing the language) but for those not familiar with Brasil, there are around 15-20 million Spaniards or of Spanish descent living in Brazil.

And with regards to the European nations most likely bringing their 'B' team, as I said in my previous post, "I think that being how this Copa America will probably be the only and last tournament (at least for while) that will have European nations, I'm thinking that these nations would love to 'steal' one from South America; wouldn't that be a punch in the face, especially in Brasil of all place." And especially Portugal... with that ego of his, I'm sure it will be on Ronaldo's mind as the tournament nears. :sneaky:

7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    So why haven't we seen an Asian team since 1999? There have been plenty of opportunities. My guess is the fact that Japan, China and South Korea all play a spring to fall league schedule doesn't help. Japan has enough players elsewhere to gather up a team but most of the Chinese NT players play in the CSL.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #108 HomietheClown, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Well. I believe lately it has been due to Asian Cup and and other Asian tournament conflicts.
    I know for sure both were invited to the 2015 Copa America but had to decline. Jamaica was kind of a last second replacement.

I also know that Japan was invited to the 2011 Copa but had to decline due to the major earthquake they had prior to that tournament.

Since this time around the Asian Cup will be in the Winter there really isn't a problem (God willing there is no natural disaster too.).

9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    You are forgetting about FIFA mandated player release by clubs. It's not as easy as saying we will take an 'A' team at the association level. Guest teams at the Copa America don't have that player release protection because it isn't their confederation championship. The Centenario got a one-off special treatment by FIFA so that the CONCACAF teams could bring their best players.

I wouldn't expect that kind of treatment again (then again, FIFA is run by clowns)

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Jamaica was able to bring their "A" team for the most part in 2015 without FIFA making much of a fuss.
    But it will be interesting to see what is allowed here when it comes to the Euro squads.

11. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Clowns may be, but very greedy clowns.

All you need to do, is offer them a lot of the "green paper", to fill their pockets with, and they'll accept almost anything.

And clowns, usually have very big pockets......:rolleyes:

Nico Limmat repped this.
  12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I don't know. The CSL just invested vast amounts of money into its league play. Not sure they are eager to interrupt their season or continue without their best domestic players (while already losing the likes of Paulinho).
    FIFA doesn't care. It's the clubs and I guess Jamaica's players didn't matter all that much to their clubs at the time (sorry if that sounds harsh) - so they didn't object. The bigger a player name the bigger the objection.

13. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The other reason maybe is because until 2019, there were only 2 invites and USA and Mexico were, for the majority, always the favorites to be asked first. Now that there will be 4 additional invites, I'm sure more Asian nations will be invited... that is, if Japan and China don't hog it up like USA and Mexico do (mostly joking of course) and/or don't start gaining popularity with each tournament. However, with the 'resetting' of the Copa America starting in 2020 in order to coincide with the Euro, I think eventually the additional invites will be coming more from North and Central America.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They want to be a world power on the National stage and want to host the 2030 World Cup.
    Playing matches in a tournament like this obviously brings benefits to the table in their eyes.
    And their local run television can probably sell more advertising money on television contracts with the likes of Messi and Neymar being potential opponents compared to the teams/players they face in the Asian cup (No offense to Asian Cup players or teams but they just don't generate the same buzz in China I would bet.).

15. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    For something happening very far away from their frontiers, it is highly doubtful it would create the sort of interest you may seem to think over it.

Anyhow, that would change dramatically, if Conmebol decides to stage it in China or Japan, instead.....

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know.
    I remember reading an article back in 1999 pertaining to Japan's television ratings and money generated by the Copa America and let's just say it was pretty good for everyone involved.

17. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    As I said befoere, seeing how this Copa America would most likely be the first and last to have any 'real" representation from European nations (going forward, Copa America would coincide with Euro), they may make it an exception as they did for Concacaf nations in the Copa America Centenario.

Going forward, I don't see many European nations (top nations at least, regardless of 'A' or 'B' team) participating in the Copa America; more invites will come from Concacaf and the other regions from Asia/Africa every now and then. This is most certain especially with the League of Nations in Europe.

18. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #118 Rickdog, May 11, 2017
    1999 was very diferent to 2019.

And also back then, they were getting prepared to host the WC in 3 more years, where lots of those same players, were very likely to play again in front of their own fans (for 2019, nothing of this is going to happen, if it is played in Brazil).

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The argument could be made though that the audiences in Japan and China will be more enthusiastic to see the Super Stars of South America due to more globalization and the way technology has advanced since 1999. They want to see Messi and Neymar and Suarez and James and Sanchez and their teams involved and how their teams potentially stack up.
    I think it will generate a lot of buzz and if those Federations accept the invitations they also know the way they can make some money off of it. Especially since the alternative may be a bunch of friendlies against nobodies that summer.

20. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    For the case, I don't even believe that the US will accept the invitation. The US's interest in Copa America is restricted only to those Copa America's played in their own territory, which is proved by the fact that they've rejected the invitation, lots of times in the past.

21. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    As @Rickdog said, FIFA officials have deep pockets (and some would argue that's exactly how the Centenario got on the FIFA calendar in the first place) but FIFA are increasingly at odds with the European Club Association (ECA) over player release. Eventually FIFA will have to consider their (ECA) interests or risk a rift in the sport.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #122 HomietheClown, May 11, 2017
    If I remember correctly it was the CONMEBOL who decided not to invite the USA after they brought a "B" team in 2007.
    We have to see what kind of team they decide to bring this time around. Copa Oro conflicts have to be resolved somehow for this sort of rumor to generate (one would think).

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Well FIFA can pay off clubs somehow.
    I recently read an article about how Milan was compensated 1.1 million euros or so due to an injury to their CB Zapata (having to miss some time due to surgery he had after the Copa Centenario.)

If FIFA can guaranteer some sort of "insurance" like this to them I think they will do it for other clubs that have any problems with this sort of tournament inviting their Euro stars.

24. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    This is already in place. It's called the Club Protection Programme.

It's not enough for the big clubs to adequately protect their star players. There is also the issue of fatigue. It's not an injury (so no payment) but it will affect the club's league matches.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Which is why I think Spain and Portugal will bring mixed squads that look more like "B" teams. But some of their older stars that are not as important to their clubs may want one last hoorah.