News: Copa America to align with Euros

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Unak78, Mar 20, 2017.

?

How do you feel about this turn of events?

1. Happy about this and all it entails...

21 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Happy about the fact that they're switching to the Euro schedule... pero en los Estados Unidos...

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. Not happy about any of this and I hate change. I don't even like to change clothes,... or bathwater

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Money talks.

Unak78 and JJV1994 repped this.
  2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The Gold Cup is played on artificial turf at times and small MLS venues at times.
    I think having more Copa Americas would be good dress rehearsals.

Unak78 repped this.
  3. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Sure, but if there happens to be another "special edition", money will need to be lots more than what it was before, for the last Copa Centenario.

Well that's easy to fix : for next Mickey mouse cup, play it over grass, instead.

You don't need a Copa America, as lame excuse, to do that.

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    USSF normally uses natural grass surfaces. There have been a few exceptions that may have had more to do with the women's CBA discussions. CONCACAF runs the Gold Cup. CONMEBOL ran Copa America. USSF does not determine the sites or fields of games it is not hosting.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #80 HomietheClown, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    The potential is there to make a whole lot more money in my opinion.
    First of all this Centenario was with clouds covering it due to the two Confederations investigations and allegations of wrong doing. The tournament had to be organized basically at the last second with sponsors coming in late.
    I assume that won't happen in a future event. The sooner this 4 year event gets approved the sooner Sponsors can be lined up for it and for Univision/Fox Sports/Whoever wants to broadcast it.

Another thing that I believe could help out is if they invite teams like Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala. They would add a lot of supporters to the venues due to their populations in the USA and would help out in the Spanish Language viewer ratings which would lead to more advertising increases for the next addition and following additions.
    The sky is the limit when it comes to money.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As Sitruc pointed out the USA does not have say on what the Gold Cup does. It is the CONCACAF,

7. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    And that sure means that the USSF has no say in Concacaf. Even despite the fact that Concacaf headquarters are in the USA.:rolleyes:

Fact is, Concacaf doesn't and can't move a finger, without the USSF involvement, if it is something done or going to be done in the USA.

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    USSF and CONCACAF work together. They use different event promoters though. USSF often goes to the extremes and that is reflected in ticket prices. CONCACAF often goes for the bare minimum. It's night and day going to a US soccer organized event and a CONCACAF organized event in the same venue even in the stands. CONCACAF goes with promoters that do the minimum. They won't hire full stadium support staffs so shit often goes bad.

Event promoters run all of these tournaments. That's why Copa America nearly didn't happen in the US.

Unak78 repped this.
  9. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Potential will always be there.

The biggest problem is, and has always been, is that almost all the star players from those national teams don't belong to the FA's that they represent, but to the clubs which aren't preciselly all in either Concacaf and/or Conmebol. Most players belong to european clubs, whom are already pissed, with the international dates that already exist where they must give their conssent in releasing their players. By adding a new "extra" tournament, where they must release their players is not something they are going to take so lightly (Copa Centenario already had this sort of problems), as they aren't getting anything from this, and still means for them a huge risk in losing some of their players due to potential injuries and also on extended vacation periods for many of their players, disallowing them of the possibility to use the players which really are their assets. It's unlikely that they will acccept it from FIFA, again for another "new" out of international dates "exception", no matter how much money they are promised over the issue, as in their local competitions, many of them already win much more than whatever a tournament like this can provide them with in exchange.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Blah, blah, blah.
    You also said that it was unlikely to host the tournament in the first place in 2016 due to many of the same reasons you posted in this post.

All I know is that there are discussions of continuing a four year event and that it can be financially beneficial for all parties involved and I did not hear too many complaints from players and Federations other than Uruguay.

Now I am not saying it is a guaranteed tournament to happen in the future but I do .believe the the signs are there pointing to it happening again in some capacity. The odds are very good.

11. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I've never said that the USA can't host any tournament.

What I did say, though, is that I never wanted our South American most emblematic tournament, ever to be played beyond the frontiers and borders of our south american soil, which is something completely diferent. An opinion I haven't changed, since then. And whenever some "wanna- be's minnows" from North America, want to take part of it, I'll have my say over it, as what I believe, which btw is not much diferent than what most people from around here in South America, think about the issue.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I know a lot of South American fans too. And many of them don't care if there is another Centenario type of tournament or they are intrigued by the possibilities.
    Yes there are some who are purists but those people are usually old dying breeds who complain about anything or they just want to see tournaments in South America with 10 teams which may never happen again.

13. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Very likely that most of the south american fans you are talking about, are those whom have a south american origin, but currently aren't south american any longer.

14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Copa America 2019 to continue 16-team format with Euro giants to join the party
    Really? European teams?

Do what you want, but none of the guests should get the FIFA calendar treatment.

unclesox repped this.
  15. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Just let us have our cake, Nico.

And eat it too.

16. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am struggling for an inclusive name for this mess.

Copa America or Panamerican Cup - Obviously a misnomer when including the Latin European nations.

Latin Cup - This name excludes the nation who would host it most often, USA. Also excludes Canada and almost all of the Caribbean islands.

Iberoamerican Cup - Does not apply to USA, Canada, Italy and France.

Atlantic Cup - Out go Ecuador, Peru, Paraguay, Bolivia and Chile. Also would have to invite the UK and Iceland.

Can't think of anything else right now.

17. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    do all these fans live in the USA?

18. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Cash Money Cup

19. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I was thinking in posting something pretty much the same, but you beat me doing it first.
    :p

condor11 repped this.
  20. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    might as well call the cup what it is being designed to achieve ;)

21. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    USA invitational

Pipiolo repped this.
  22. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is the most appropriate name.

condor11 repped this.
  23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    No.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Hopefully they invite teams that can sell more tickets like the teams I mentioned in an earlier post.

25. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland