News: Copa America to align with Euros

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Unak78, Mar 20, 2017.

?

How do you feel about this turn of events?

1. Happy about this and all it entails...

21 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Happy about the fact that they're switching to the Euro schedule... pero en los Estados Unidos...

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. Not happy about any of this and I hate change. I don't even like to change clothes,... or bathwater

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #401 HomietheClown, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    From what I am hearing the 2020 Copa America will be in...

.... Argentina and Colombia.
    Sounds good to me. :thumbsup:

unclesox repped this.
  2. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup - according to Globo, it will be 12 teams in 2 groups of 6 (one group in each country), with the top 4 in each group moving on to the quarterfinals.

HomietheClown repped this.
  3. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
  4. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  5. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't heard about that anywhere else, though - then again, it's not a hit piece on Barça or a puff piece on Madrid, so I presume Marca has no incentive to make this up :D . And what, is this contingent on the WC expanding to 48 this time?

Besides, if we do joint WCQ, that's gotta be the crossing the Rubicon moment wrt to merging into a Pan-American confederation.

6. fero

fero Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Argentina
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In Colombia

Group A
    Colombia
    USA
    Panama
    Canada

Group B
    Mexico
    Venezuela
    Costa Rica
    Jamaica

In argentina
    Group C
    Argentina
    Uruguay
    Peru
    Bolivia

Group d
    Brazil
    Ecuador
    Paraguay
    Chile

Final in Argentina because conmebol is already there.
    Nice business, nice football, nice travel.

7. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mind you, Conmebol revealed that they invited Concacaf to send 6 teams to the Copa América and Concacaf turned it down.

8. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    While I am annoyed with yet another set of back-to-back Copa Americas I much prefer this to another "Centenario" where the CONCACAF teams get FIFA calendar protection on top of the already biennial Gold Cup. Enough is enough.

unclesox repped this.
  9. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If it is true, the Concacaf is very foolish.......

Every Four Years repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Rumors are swirling that Colombia will be the only host of 2020 and Argentina will drop out.

The soap opera continues with another twist in the plot....

11. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #411 Paul Calixte, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Worth sharing this Jorge Ramos y su Banda interview with Concacaf General Secretary Philippe Moggio (video's mad choppy, though):

The CliffNotes:

1. Surprise, surprise, Concacaf's in favor of Qatar 2022 expanding to 48 if possible. For Moggio, the more Concacaf teams get to play in FIFA tournaments (e.g. Jamaica in the WWC), the better.

2. At 2:24 he says that there will be two editions of the Concacaf Nations League this cycle. I'm intrigued as to how...but I guess that also depends on the WCQ format and how many dates are needed (e.g. if we're actually going UEFA-style with just one group stage - 5 groups of 6, 1 group of 5 - that's just 10 games).

3. On Conmebol, Moggio claims that there's a good relationship and dialogue, but says that he has no idea where the talk of a joint WCQ or Concacaf and Conmebol merging come from - so either Moggio's being coy/lying, or the Venezuelan Fed vice president pulled the WCQ talk out of nowhere for his 15 minutes of fame. Unfortunately, the video cuts off before he elaborates on the Copa América talks, beyond a platitude on Concacaf wanting any collaboration to provide benefits for the whole confederation.

Btw, kudos to Jorge Ramos for continuing to pants the English-language US soccer media. Really, Grant Wahl, Ives Galarcep, Steven Goff, etc. couldn't land an interview with Moggio to clear up all the speculation?

EvanJ and HomietheClown repped this.
  12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    What a shame that the Copa has turned into some sort of ad-hoc event thrown together at the last minute in a venue that may or may not be in South America.

Of course, the World Cup has also become a bit like that. Remember we used to know 7 years in advance who would be hosting the WC and how many teams would take part in it? Good times... :coffee:

13. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    I have to admit this is very surprising to hear. Whenever I've brought this up, you and a few others rejected it as impossible with a certainty that would imply an insider's perspective, so I'm wondering why the change of heart on the recognition that it might happen in the near future? I was expecting a confident declaration that combined WCQ will never happen (you like to use the travel argument as I recall) and certainly a merger would be out of the question (I think the argument used here is that Conmebol doesn't need Concacaf and Concacaf doesn't want harder qualifiers).

14. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest, I was so certain of it being impossible that I was blind-sided by the FVF Vice President even bringing it up.

And apparently Concacaf General Secretary Philippe Moggio was too, based on his comments to Jorge Ramos y su Banda. Doesn't sound like joint WCQ is actually on anyone's radar (other than Venezuela perhaps sniffing out an easier path to WC finals?).

15. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Therefore six out of ten SA countries will qualify for the WC which will likely reduce the competitiveness of their competition and probably worsen their deteriorating record at the final competition.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Its 7 out of 10, no? In any case, every confederation's record will deteriorate after they get more spots, naturally. AFC and CONCACAF's will probably deteriorate the most. CONMEBOL and UEFA the least.

17. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #417 EvanJ, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2019
    YouTube auto-generated a transcript, which is in Spanish, and because of the time stamps it's not convenient to copy it into a translator. Also be warned that auto-generated transcripts can be way off, such as hearing the name Garbiella and having the transcript say Darryl.

18. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #418 EvanJ, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2019
    I realize the takes a lot of space. @Paul Calixte can you edit my post so it only shows a little and you have to click to see the whole thing?

MOD EDIT: Done. - Paul Calixte

19. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Cordeiro still courting CONMEBOL:
    http://www.insideworldfootball.com/...l-2020-still-open-sales-windows-closing-fast/

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    With the rumors of Argentina having cold feet and Colombia maybe having to do it solo I can see why he is still putting the offer out on the table.
    Until there is official word and approval from FIFA there is still a chance.

21. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONMEBOL seems to be going with the "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" logic, passing up this offer (among other reasons) after seeing that part of their profits from the 2016 Copa América Centenario remains yet to be cleared, in the aftermath of FIFAGate.

napolisoccer repped this.
  22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Somehow the CONMEBOL going biblical on us does not seem to properly correlate in my mind. But I guess I see what you are trying to say. :p

23. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    How about a "Gran Colombia" hosting scenario with Panama? That's one way to rope in CONCACAF. :D

24. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am not sure CONCACAF's record will deteriorate as much as CONMEBOL's; I think the former is progressing faster than the latter, albeit from a lower base.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Did you watch Panama in WC 2018?

Anyway, it's not about "progressing", it's about how good the teams are outside the top 4 or 5 in each confederation. Peru, Chile and Paraguay can hold their own.

Pipiolo and Paul Calixte repped this.