News: Copa America to align with Euros

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Unak78, Mar 20, 2017.

?

How do you feel about this turn of events?

1. Happy about this and all it entails...

21 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Happy about the fact that they're switching to the Euro schedule... pero en los Estados Unidos...

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. Not happy about any of this and I hate change. I don't even like to change clothes,... or bathwater

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #376 HomietheClown, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Gotta give it to the CONMEBOL for sticking with the Argentina plans and not going for the cash.

That said, it could be a negotiation tactic to eek more dough out of it but as of right now it seems like they really just want it in South America. (Which is fine by me.)

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The interesting tidbit from the SI article is that The US Fed may try and have a tournament with African and Asian federations instead.
    That would be cool.

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    At this rate there is going to be an increase in the number of int'l friendlies even if the global nations league happens. Only difference is the friendlies would take place mostly in June-July instead of September-November.

HomietheClown repped this.
  4. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I guess Qatar can look forward to yet another summer tournament. :D

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Group A
    USA
    Qatar
    Nigeria

Group B
    Japan
    Costa Rica
    Ghana I

Group C
    Mexico
    Korea Rep
    Egypt

Group D
    Honduras
    Iran
    South Africa

Get Bein Sports to pony up some money for TV rights since Qatar will be in it.

Games played in Seattle, L.A., Chicago, NY, Miami, Houston.

6. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yeah, tell the clubs to whom the players have contracts with, how happy they will be releasing them for free more often through out the year, without even mentioning their delayed vacations and holidays and/or about the possibilities that they get injured playing for national teams.
    :p

Paul Calixte repped this.
  7. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Not if the US Department of Justice, steps in and starts another probe against the company in charge of the distribution of the money which will be paid for those taking part in the tournament, deciding to freeze all assets till a final veredict is taken.

As up to now, Conmebol is still wondering if they will ever receive the money promised in contracts, for the past 2016 Copa America Centenario.:rolleyes:

8. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's only the one FIFA break in June, so they could schedule two friendlies max in that period. Confederations can get tournaments approved for that period; others can't (i.e. clubs wouldn't be obligated to release players for the full tournament).

9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Like all good Salesmen Cordeiro is going to keep on calling them up and following up with the CONMEBOL until they officially say no and name where the 2020 Copa will be.

11. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW the speculation on ESPN Deportes' Jorge Ramos y su Banda is that Domínguez made this call entirely on his own while the federation heads were at a FIFA meeting, and that there's more conversation to be had within Conmebol.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    ESPN's Jorge Ramos was the first to report the Copa America Centenario news way before anyone too. (Like by a couple years.)
    People around here were like there is no way it would happen and it did.

13. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Japan manager Hajime Moriyasu says building best squad for Copa America won't be easy:
    https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports...st-squad-copa-america-wont-easy/#.XINycfZuLIU
    CONMEBOL should have just moved the 2019 Copa to 2020. Then CONCACAF could have participated (without FIFA calendar protection) and you wouldn't have the ridiculous scenario of another set of back-to-back Copas like in 2015/2016.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That would not be ideal having a whole full year without competitive matches for South American teams.

As you know I love friendlies, but managers also need competitive matches in the summer to know what they are working with once World Cup Qualifying begins.

15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Fair point about the lack of competitive games. Still, four Copas in the time-span of six years (2015-2020) is really pushing it.

16. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It occurs to me that with the change in schedule of the Copa America to 2020, 2024 etc., the South American teams that do not qualify for the WC will have to wait 2.5 years for their next competitive game (October 2021 to June 2024) at the next Copa America!

Do you think CONMEBOL's moving of the Copa America opens the door to a pan-American continental championship with a 12-to-18 month qualification competition like the UEFA EuroCup in order to give more South American (and CONCACAF) teams more competitive games during each four year cycle, in the hope it helps to improve standards across the Americas?

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It opens the doors a bit but we have to remember that the only reason that CONMEBOL is starting qualifying in 2020 is because of the idiotic Winter World Cup time frame.

In the 2026 cycle they will probably revert back to Qualifying the year after the World Cup (2023) unless some sort of Pan-American Cup gets more steam/ (Which could happen but probably not in time for that 2026 cycle.)

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And from the CONCACAF side of things they are clinging to the two Gold Cups per cycle idea with a death grip.

19. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But when the WC reverts back to its northern hemisphere summer slot, the qualifiers in South America will still finish the previous October and the next competitive games for South American teams which don't qualify for the WC will be 2.5 years away at the Copa America. Far too long, surely?

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #395 HomietheClown, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Edit*

I see what you are saying. (Although from October 2025 to September 2027 is less than two years, it is still long.)

That said with the way things are going three teams that do not make the World Cup from CONMEBOL would not make much of a complaint about it I don't think.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And it may make room for the World League that is being pushed by FIFA.

Or CONMEBOL could just start Qualifying the March FIFA dates after the World Cup or the Summer of that year.

22. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But that is assuming CONMEBOL sticks with a single group - still two years without a competitive game, as you say, which is far too long - while I think they will revert to two groups of five (assuming there is no pan-American qualifying competition by then) which would necessitate a start in September of the year of the Copa America, 2.5 years after the WC-eliminated teams last played a competitive game.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #398 HomietheClown, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    They could start qualifying earlier and have more FIFA dates for friendlies or for the proposed FIFA World League in between.

But as I said before there could be a possibility for the Pan -American thing you are suggesting. I just don't see it happening.

24. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...or Conmebol could have set up their own Nations League - two divisions of 5, perhaps with Copa América top seeds and a trophy on the line. Tell me you wouldn't watch Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia and Chile (**sigh** based on current FIFA ranking, albeit at Peru's expense) go at it, even for tiddlywinks.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Colombia did not even sign their coach until February of this year so no, I would not have liked that.
    But in theory it would have been fun to watch.