News: Copa America to align with Euros

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Unak78, Mar 20, 2017.

?

How do you feel about this turn of events?

1. Happy about this and all it entails...

21 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Happy about the fact that they're switching to the Euro schedule... pero en los Estados Unidos...

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. Not happy about any of this and I hate change. I don't even like to change clothes,... or bathwater

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More like "they are in talks to make" just one Copa America...and according to Conmebol president Alejandro Domínguez (from the day of the Copa América draw), those talks aren't going very well atm.

Unak78 and HomietheClown repped this.
  2. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
  3. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #353 Unak78, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    It's more than they've been doing for the past year, and with the Confed Cup going away, there's no longer a competitive incentive or reasoning for keeping the two competitions separate. Even the CONCACAF Super Cup is essentially meaningless now. Talks may not be going well means to me that both sides are negotiating. Let's not forget that for a long time the Centenario looked unlikely until it wasn't.

jagum repped this.
  4. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but that was less an issue of the will of both sides to negotiate and more about everyone and they mama getting locked up :cautious:

5. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    "Concacaf Statement:
    Following recent media reports, Concacaf clarifies that it is fully committed to the Concacaf Gold Cup and confirms that the 2019, 2021 and 2023 editions are part of the FIFA Calendar."
    That statement after the information given by the US Soccer president ! . More Gold Cups, every 2 year ! with no draws ! Nice ! imagine the UEFA Euro or the Asian Cup placing the teams at will.
    I hope Conmebol and Concacaf reach some agreement and return the Centennial Cup, it was really exciting

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I heard a rumor that Argentina may be interested in hosting the 2020 Copa America that realigns with the Euro schedule.

I also heard another rumor that the Mexican Federation President is really lobbying for a Combined Copa America of some sort that is held every 4 years.

Unak78 repped this.
  7. Isnot that dumb from a commercial pov like earnings on broadcast revenues?

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know. CONMEBOL would make a lot more money in the USA or even Qatar.
    But rumors are rumors.

9. I meant competing with the Euros. Media can only spend that much on soccer in a given time frame and I doubt any tournement can give the Euros a run for their money.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The games will be in different time zones and can be scheduled at non- conflicting times.

And there are American broadcast companies that do not have soccer tournaments that summer that are willing to spend big bucks. Especially since the Copa America Centenario in 2016 was essentially a financial success.

Unak78 and Paul Calixte repped this.
  11. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's more than a rumor: at last month's 2019 Copa América draw, Conmebol president Domínguez outright said that an Argentina bid to host the 2020 edition would the top one in consideration, practically begging AFA president "Chiqui" Tapia to officially go for it.

12. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Maybe in Europe, but the last one was huge here in the US. Much of the potential North American viewership that might have had eyeballs on the Euros was focused on the Copa America and then some. Even if a combined Copa only solidifies the combined American financial market, that is a tremendous move towards financial parity with a European competition that cannot possibly be accomplished in any other manner...

r0adrunner repped this.
  13. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Unak78 and HomietheClown repped this.
  14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  15. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    Noone knows what is going on there. They are pretty much quiet on World Cup as well. FIFA apparently made it clear they don't accept NY as a final venue due to no roof and both alternatives do not fit well, new LA stadium would be too small and Dallas doesn't fit Americans that well due to the city itself not that significant. Trump (or someone around him) proposed building appropriate stadium in DC at the present site of RFK with quite a huge subventions, but try to agree on anything with Dan Snyder, apparently a nightmare! He thinks 65k seater is optimum and everything above would be far too big for the Redskins (currently they can't even sell that much) and on the top of everything there is team name issue .... lot of fun as it seems :D

HomietheClown repped this.
  16. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think Concacaf is going to publicly antagonize the USSF, since 1) Concacaf is based here and 2) the Gold Cup's profitability is contingent on it being held in the US, but there's clearly a power struggle going on. As as much as Cordeiro wants to put the cart before the horse, none of this is happening without Concacaf's consent, unless the USSF want to play an invitational without any FIFA approval (or any current stars, as a consequence).

All that, leaving aside the minor issue of CONMEBOL already wanting to play a Copa América that year, so the whole idea of this quote-unquote one-off not interrupting the current continental championships is ridiculous on its face.

HomietheClown repped this.
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As I have been saying for months now television Networks and Sponsors are very eager to put up the dough for this kind of tournament. Fox Sports is probably the main one behind the scenes orchestrating this. Possibly NBC/ Telemundo too because Univision seems all set and focused on the Euro coverage.

The money may be too much to say no to for all parties involved.

Worst case scenario we get a bunch of domestic based squads and U23/Olympic squads embracing this tournament for sparring partners before the Tokyo.

Unak78 repped this.
  18. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Unak78 repped this.
  19. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Unak78 repped this.
  20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Both MLS and LMX are behind this as well. In particular MLS who also double as SUM (Sports United Marketing). The realization is that they need to establish a market share before Messi and Neymar age out. CONMEBOL, also. The Copa America is great but a twelve team tournament just doesn't have the same balance as a 16 team one.

Unak78 repped this.
  21. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    CONMEBOL has already shifted its official schedule beginning in 2020. So they can't release their top squads for this if it isn't the Copa America.

22. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    This 2020 US Invitational will mean 3 tournament summers in a row for the CONCACAF and South American squads involved, so queue up disappointing world cups in 2022 for them; and caution to clubs that are interested in their players.

23. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    keep on dreaming

Conmebol has rejected the US invitation, as it is imposible for Conmebol to take part in 2 tournaments at about the same time. Besides, this intecontinental tournament proposed by the US still hasn't FIFA's aproval to take place, while the 2020 Copa America already does have it.

the " new" Copa America 2020 will most likely take place in Argentina.;)

https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/02/28/conmebol-rejects-us-soccer-joint-2020-tournament-offer

24. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'm not dreaming, passing on the news. Argentina fine with me. I'd like to see less tournaments in general, but, whatever...

25. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    AlbertCamus repped this.