News: Copa America to align with Euros

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Unak78, Mar 20, 2017.

?

How do you feel about this turn of events?

1. Happy about this and all it entails...

21 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Happy about the fact that they're switching to the Euro schedule... pero en los Estados Unidos...

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. Not happy about any of this and I hate change. I don't even like to change clothes,... or bathwater

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. ManuelRacing95

Racing Club
    Argentina
    Mar 5, 2018
    Yes, I'm aware of that. For that reason Concacaf is becoming the weakest federation. They have small club mentality.

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    There are a lot of small countries in CONCACAF. Gold Cup is the biggest moneymaker for many of the small countries and that often depends on Mexico and the US as well as hosting the tournament in the US. Mexico and the US are limited to what they can do.

HomietheClown repped this.
  3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes.

Let's face it. The Gold Cup is the biggest stage many Federations will ever be on. Teams like Belize and Dominica and Suriname will probably never qualify for a World Cup. So the Gold Cup is the next best thing .
    This is their "World Cup" every cycle. Something to strive for and something to look forward to as a an accomplishment team goal.
    It is good for being in the lime light and being in what they consider a major competition. It brings National pride for these teams.

NaBUru38 repped this.
  4. ManuelRacing95

Racing Club
    Argentina
    Mar 5, 2018
    Ok, I see, it would be imposible to eliminate Gold Cup by unifying Copa America. But at least Gold Cup should be played as a way of qualifying for Copa America, the best 6 teams in Gold Cup qualify for Copa America, and the real goal for those teams should be Copa America once they qualify.

I don't know how this could be done but it is necessary.
    In CONMEBOL we are just 10 teams, adding the best 6 of CONCACAF really works and besides Mexico and USA could be real contenders if they improve. That would make Copa America in the same level of prestige as Euros.

But no more invited teams, as I said, best 6 teams in the final table of Gold Cup should qualify directly.

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    BocaFan and HomietheClown repped this.
  6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Wow no Mexico for the first time since the early 90s.
    That Qatar and Japanese television money must be really good enough for Brazil.
    Gold Cup wins again.

7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I think this is mostly CONCACAF putting their foot down towards any Gold Cup distractions. CONMEBOL look quite foolish now for announcing an expansion to 16 teams without getting CONCACAF’s explicit consent. As for the tv money coming from Qatar and Japan, I doubt it’s a significant bump. Qatar’s BeIn Sports probably already holds the 2019 Copa Rights for the MENA region. They pretty much hold all the rights here. CONMEBOL needed someone, anyone to accept their invitation without CONCACAF in the picture.

HomietheClown repped this.
  8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I wouldn't put it past Qatar to do some back room dealing with the CONMEBOL or Brazilian Federation though to soften the Mexico blow.

I heard the Japanese television deal was one of the main reasons they invited Japan in 1999 so I would imagine it is better now compared to 20 prior.

9. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    About time we got some good news... :thumbsup:

10. maestri09

maestri09 Member+

Jun 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Mexico used to be a great competitor in the Copa America, but since 2011 they brought inferior teams to the tournament. I'm sure it wasn't their fault completely, but it sent a message that they weren't taking the tournament seriously--and they, the mexican team, were starting to look like just an ordinary team. The 7-0 loss to Chile may have been the icing on the cake. The rescheduled Gold Cup kind of ruined it for Mexico.

I figure the organizers, if all they were getting were "squash teams", thought they might as well take in as much money as possible from them and see them off after 3 games.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #261 HomietheClown, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
    I know what you are saying.

And it was not their fault completely as you alluded to. CONCACAF and UEFA Clubs also have something to do with it too.

But my point of my post is that the Television money and sponsors is still huge even with the crappy teams they sent down there. It has nothing to do with anything you mentioned with all due respect.

12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Probably, but one thing to keep in mind is that 1999 was before the international calendar with its release conditions. That was likely Japan's A-team. This won't be - not even close.

Since the 2016 Centenario we have surprisingly seen less convergence. No Mexican clubs in the Copa Libertadores for two seasons and now this. But I won't get my hopes up for "normalcy" in the Americas. Soon enough we will see the concept drawings for Centenario - Part Deux. CONMEBOL president Alejandro Dominguez seems to be close to Infantino (only one to show up to the FIFA Bureau emergency meeting) - he will do his best to force this on the FIFA calendar.

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, that 7 to 0 vs Chile had nothing to do with player restrictions.

14. maestri09

maestri09 Member+

Jun 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I'm not saying one loss, or even a series of losses, is what made CONMEBOL drop Mexico from the Copa America. I'm saying their performance has dropped off in these tournaments, where they play south american teams, over the last several years.

I still tend to think it's all about the money, and since Mexico is not finishing in the top 4 anymore, the organizers probably did not feel they HAD TO invite Mexico this time. If there is a better business deal to be made with Qatar and Japan, 2019 would be the best opportunity to explore it.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    If they are that desperate and the invited teams don't offer much in terms of money, its a wonder why they don't just forget about inviting anyone and have the 10-team tournament that everyone wants.

16. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I wonder if CONMEBOL got CONCACAF's approval to stage the single match Copa Libertadores final in a US city starting next year. Because you just know that's where that one is headed (Miami anyone?)

Perhaps not the first year, but eventually.

Unak78 repped this.
  17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    We do? Why?

Under the existing format we're talking about 2 guaranteed sell-outs.

Club matches in a neutral venue can be risky. Its not like a NT match where everyone of a certain nationality will want to go. There have been some small clubs reach the Copa Libertadores final recently.

Unak78 and NaBUru38 repped this.
  18. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I believe CONMEBOL announced this change (single match final) not too long ago for 2019 onwards.

And I fully agree with you.

BocaFan repped this.
  19. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    A single final match is an awful idea even if they do manage to sell out whichever stadium in whatever country to whatever plastic fans they can get...

BocaFan and unclesox repped this.
  20. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    They have a long way to go to fall below OFC.

EvanJ repped this.
  21. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    That's comparing apples to oranges. OFC does much more with a lot less. 11 island members, with tiny populations, amateur leagues, and the weakest support for soccer in the world. And they still manage to complete a Champions League with a group stage and rotate the OFC Nations Cup between countries, something CONCACAF can't even accomplish.

Unak78, ceezmad and BocaFan repped this.
  22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you took away the top league in each, Mexico and New Zealand, wouldn't the next best 8 CONCACAF clubs be much better than the next best 8 OFC clubs? It's not like every country in CONCACAF has a professional league. The weak CONCACAF countries have low populations. AFC has Indonesia (4th most populated in the world), Pakistan (6th), Bangladesh (8th), Philippines (13th), Thailand (20th), Myanmar (26th), Afghanistan (39th), Malaysia (45th), Nepal (48th), and Yemen (50th) as ten countries who are Top 50 in population but not in the Top 100 of the FIFA Rankings. Even if you don't like the FIFA Rankings I think you can agree that those countries aren't great at soccer.

23. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    As expected, CONMEBOL have started their shenanigans for a 2020 Copa America. An official request has now gone to FIFA to change the Copa America timing on the calendar. Starting in 2020. The sensible thing would have been to just move Brazil 2019 back one year - especially since they had the Centenario in 2016.

Up next, US hosting and CONCACAF inclusion. :rolleyes:

Unak78 repped this.
  24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  25. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    And bypass the chance to cash in on one more extra tournament?! Clearly you don't have bills to pay... or houses to build...

IASocFan repped this.