Copa America expanding to 16 teams?

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by vettgt, Aug 19, 2006.

1. NachoNation

NachoNation Member+

Jun 19, 2005
    GOAT Puzzle
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    While doing a search on the competition for '07, a link to wiki came up. We all know wiki is not reliable, but I found a couple of interesting rumors on the page.

The first was that Brazil may withdraw, because they're hosting the PanAm games. Something about not having a channel to televise the games on. I don't put much weight into that one, but who knows.

The second nugget I found was pretty damn out there. Here it is.

"CONMEBOL is considering expanding the number of competing nations to 16. Rumours included Portugal and Spain (the former colonial powers) as invited nations, along with the 4 best teams from CONCACAF"

Any truth to this?

2. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    That information might be outdated. While both Spain and Portugal were at one point considered to participate in the tournament the idea has long been discarded.

According to CONMEBOL the final participants will be 12:

http://conmebol.com/articulos_ver.jsp?id=59779&slangab=S

Estados Unidos y México tomarán parte en la Copa América 2007
    30 / 10 / 2006

Las selecciones de Estados Unidos y México aceptaron la invitación formal de la CONMEBOL y participarán de la Copa América Venezuela 2007. Así lo informó en una comunicación oficial el secretario general de la CONCACAF, Chuck Blazer.

Será la séptima ocasión en que la selección mexicana acuda al torneo continental más antiguo del mundo, y la tercera intervención de Estados Unidos.

De esta forma, ya están confirmados los doce equipos que se disputarán la 42a. edición de la Copa América: las diez selecciones sudamericanas más Estados Unidos y México. El campeonato se realizará entre el 26 de junio y el 15 de julio del año próximo. El sorteo de grupos se llevará a cabo a mediados de febrero, con fecha a determinarse.

El presidente de la Federación de Fútbol de Estados Unidos, Sunil Gulati, señaló en un comunicado de prensa que "Estamos encantados de aceptar esta invitación. Este torneo nos ofrece la posibilidad de enfrentarnos a rivales de gran categoría y, al tiempo, de mejorar el nivel de nuestro fútbol".

En lo que respecta a las participaciones pasadas de Estados Unidos y México en la Copa América, la selección azteca es la que mejores producciones ha tenido. Fue finalista en 1993 y 2001, 3ro. en 1997 y 1999, 5to. en 2004 y 6to. en 1995.Los estadounidenses, por su parte, fueron 12dos. en 1993 y alcanzaron las semifinales en 1995 (4to. puesto), en su mejor actuación.

In the last CONMEBOL meeting nothing was mentioned about Brazil's inability to participate in the Copa America because of the Pan Am games. Personally I don't see why there would be a problem.

3. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    brasil is not gonna quit, off course they have the panamerican but they can send sub20, or a b team ifthey want

i think that the 16 teams options could be true, look, the drwa is on march or febraury i think, so they leads them, and gives them time to convice some conmbol members to add 4 members, i see it hard to accomplish it for this edition, but we are going to be playing with 16 teams in 2009 or 2011

4. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    eso se queria desde el 2002 invitar a españa y portugal, mas mexico y eeuu eran 14, y de ahi los dos restantes pudieron ser costa rica y honduras por lo del 2001

creo que se juegacon 12 esta vez, pero de aca a dos o tres ediciones mas seran 16

5. NachoNation

NachoNation Member+

Jun 19, 2005
    GOAT Puzzle
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That's basically what was said on the wiki page. That's why I'm sure Brazil will be there in some form. I still think they'll send a good team.

That's where I was getting at Caturro. Future competitions, as it's pretty obvious it won't happen in '07. At least to me it is.

6. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    nacho dont pay so mych attention to wikipedia, for me thats only a bio page, brasil will go, but 16 teams i want that for 2009

7. NachoNation

NachoNation Member+

Jun 19, 2005
    GOAT Puzzle
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I know. I was skeptical when I read it as I know it's not really reliable. I posted that in my first post.

As far as 16 teams being cool. You're in the minority as far as south americans go. Most of them want it strictly for Conmebol.

Maybe they should just create a completely different tournament for the entire western hemisphere that is played inbetween WC's. Would seem like a lot of tournaments though.

8. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    it'll be a 16-team tournament for Mexico '09.

9. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    mexico 09?????? confirmed borracho?

10. NachoNation

NachoNation Member+

Jun 19, 2005
    GOAT Puzzle
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That's what I'm thinking. What makes you think it will be in Mexico? Cuz we're centrally located?

11. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    there's been talk that your country's federation was looking into it.

dig around the boards; there were a few articles in the South American forum discussing this.

the idea ain't far-fetched.

12. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Ahh, in the future... well, who knows. Nothing is official at this point but if you ask me I totally see it happening. Don't necessarily agree with it... but if they do it, at least invite more American teams instead of Europeans... as good as these teams might be.

It's clear that CONMEBOL wants to expand its market... but how far are they willing to go?

Mexico 09' it's as good as confirmed. The talks have been going on for a while... and at this point no other country has come forth with bid (whose turn was it anyway, Argentina's ?).

To me all of this is sacrilege... but for my own sanity I'd rather not stress over it. :(

13. NachoNation

NachoNation Member+

Jun 19, 2005
    GOAT Puzzle
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Wow! So this talk has been circulating for a while. Mexico '09.

So if this all seems like a foregone conclusion, will Conmebol start another tourney for just SA countries? I think they will, since Copa America is taking a life of its own.

14. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If CONMEBOL keeps the same rotation schedule then Argentina is next in line.

15. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i dont mind mexico coming they are good... leave it a 10 team tournie and not invite boliva.. and let mexico take their place but seriously who else is going to come if its 16 teams...

Fifa wont let us invite european teams so we would have to use NA, CA countries so Mexico, US, Costa Rica..... who else honduras, panama, guatamala????

seriously this isnt needed, and i dont mind Mexico coming but hosting is fing bullhit... THEY ARENT SOUTH AMERICAN THEY CANT HOST THEY ARE A INVITED COUNTRY !!!!!

also makes me really really angry that the concacaf wont invite SA teams any more to let more carribean teams play in the copa oro but want us to make more slots so that their teams can come to our tournie and make it worse

16. NachoNation

NachoNation Member+

Jun 19, 2005
    GOAT Puzzle
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well the rumor was that Portugal and Spain would be invited. I had no idea Fifa had rejected this idea before.

If the money is right, anything can happen.

17. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    The whole point of having a 10 team tournament is for all CONMEBOL members to participate :rolleyes: How are you going to exclude a team from their own federation? Otherwise we could just have a 12 team format or a 16 team format... inviting as many teams as we want.

And why do we want to participate in Copa Oro? Honestly, when was the last time a SA team sent a decent squad there anyways?

18. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Shouldn't Mexico qualify for the World Cup against South American teams as well now. It's pratically getting itself involved in all our affairs. I wonder how frequently they would qualify for the WC then?

19. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    interesting that Copa America could move to 16 teams...not sure what effect this would have on the confed cup slot considering a non SA team could win the tourney (though unlikely)

seems like SA fans are quite against this, especially mexico hosting...while im not upset with 16 teams, i think the tourney should remain in SA.

20. ColoColoCeltic

ColoColoCeltic New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    now in alaska
    its the Copa America

so all of america should be in it

21. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand

its also called copa sudamericana, yet that dosnt stop mexican and concacaf teams participating

its called what its called

point is that its supposed to be conmebol's tournament

22. ColoColoCeltic

ColoColoCeltic New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    now in alaska
    concacaf and conmebol should just combine imo

23. MNAFETSC

MNAFETSC Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Blacksburg
    I always like the idea of a 16 team tourney whether its copa america or a brand new one with all 10 south american teams and the 6 concacaf teams that make it to the final round of the previous world cup qualifier