Copa America expanding to 16 teams?

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by vettgt, Aug 19, 2006.

1. MesQueUnClub

MesQueUnClub New Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Re: copa america 2007 16 nations

if there are 4 groups and 16 teams who else is cabeza de serie? wouldnt it be ecuador?

2. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

if there were 16 teams heads would be , arg,brasil, mexico and venezuela.

it would def be arg,brasil, venezulea (host)

i think mexico because we would have to invite 6 teams which is def out of the question, and I dont think they will allow us to invite any european teams so theyd end up being all concacaf teams. Whats the best team in concacaf? Mexico.

but seriously 6 invites???????? that would be soooooooooo gay. We want to make copa america a better event, adding 4 more concacaf teams wont make it better itd just make it worse

3. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City

I dont know about Mexico and USA, they dont even have a coach.

4. MesQueUnClub

MesQueUnClub New Member

Jul 23, 2006

i dont know about mexico wouldnt conmebol want some team from conmebol to be a seeded team? and the ecuador did thethe best in the cup outside of Bra and Argen from conmebol.

5. Siempreconlamecha

Apr 4, 2005

Brazil B and Argentina B would have a good chance at winning the tournament...how would that fly???

6. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

brasil and argentina have something to prove... both preformed badly at the world cup. I say the best SA side was Ecuador, because it wasnt expected. Brasil did awful and played shit teams. Argentina started off amazing and Peckerman screwed them at the end of the game bye not putting in messi and putting in Cruz who did nothing but get punched in the face

both these teams want to win the cup so there fans wont be pissed. Seriously if they send their b teams im not saying they wont win but they def will have more trouble... Uruguay sent their main squad last time and if they do it again they will win

7. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

www.cooperativa.cl

Fútbol: Estados Unidos recibe invitación para la Copa América 2007

El presidente de la Federación de Fútbol de Estados Unidos, Sunil Gulati, indicó que la selección de su país recibirá una invitación para participar en la próxima Copa América, que se disputará en Venezuela entre el 26 de junio y el 15 de julio de 2007.

Sin embargo, al referirse a la invitación para la Copa América, Gulati, que participa en un simposio dedicado al fútbol internacional, dijo que la decisión final sobre si Estados Unidos aceptará o no, no se dará a conocer hasta que no se haya nombrado al nuevo entrenador del equipo.

"En estos momentos los candidatos, que tienen experiencia nacional e internacional, cuentan con todos los requisitos para que puedan dirigir a nuestra selección", explicó Gulati. (EFE)

---

Metro

8. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Ecuador overachieved, but how can you say that it was the best side from Conmebol? They had an easy group, we knew since Colombia beat Poland and Costa Rica has never been strong outside Concacaf. The only difficult match in that group was against Germany and they lost by a landslide. Next they presented a tough match against a disapointing England squad, but were not very exciting altough nobody expected them out of the first round.

Argentina was by far the best team. They cruised in the first round and had a tough match against Lavolpe's Tri but came on top. As you said Pekerman ********ed up against Germany but they were a better team than the home boys.

Paraguay was a disspointment and I agree that Brasil had only like 20 minutes of good playing, but they also reached QF.

Not only by records but based on performances the order is: Argentina (QF), Brasil (QF), Ecuador (round of 16) and Paraguay (group round).

And regarding copa America, most likely Brasil and Argentina will send mixed squads, part veterans, part young players to start building up for next WC. Even with young teams (check who's been called by Dunga) they have a great chance of winning in Venezuela, but a mixed squad from those two countries is still better than what most other countries can offer.

9. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004

Wasn't it Honduras who had the good run a couple of CA ago beating Brazil I think. Honduras and Costa Rica are no worse then Bolivia, Venezuela or Peru. Besides this is soccer ANYTHING can happen.

10. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Ese tal Gulati no se nota muy interesado:rolleyes:

Y si los gringos aceptan ir a Venezuela, habría 13 selecciones: faltarían 3 más ¿Costa Rica, Jamaica y Honduras, por ejemplo?

¿O 2 grupos de 4 y 1 grupo de 5?

11. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Pulleeeeeeeeze.....

It was 2001 when a lot of teams sent C Squads due to security concerns... Argentina refused to participate BTW wich enabled Honduras to be invited. Other than Mexico reaching the final twice no other CONCACRAP team has provided exciment....

Yes is soccer, yes they playfield is more leveled, but yes other than the 3 "powerhouses" of CONCACRAP, no team is really competitive in the world stage. The teams that you mentioned are at the bottom of our region (Bolivia and Peru) or just making some noise recently (Venezuela), so why bring 4 more teams to be eliminated in the first round?

12. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Si son 16, es dificil ver a quien invitar. Si fuera 10+2=deberian ser Mexico y EE.UU. Y de ahi yo propondria traer a Panama (subcampeon de la Copa de Oro y tienen sus propios meritos futbolisticos, importante coneccion "historica" con Colombia), Costa Rica (ya han ido anteriormente y no es un equipo facil). Quizas TyT (como fueron al Mundial y dejaron tan grata impresion) y Honduras que nunca es un equipo facil, quizas?

Metro

13. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

T&T me gusta esa idea, me sorprendieron gratamente en el Mundial, los suecos no pudieron ganarles, e Inglaterra tardó un mundo en hacerles un gol.

Shaka Hislop ídolo!!:D :cool:

14. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Arquerazo... cuando empezo el mundial no podia creer que no tenia equipo :eek:

15. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Hislop tenia equipo---WHU (actual equipo de Tevez y Mascherano; ahora esta en el FC Dallas de la MLS). El arquero que era relativamente bueno que llevaba casi un anho sin club era el de Angola--Joao Ricardo.

Metro

16. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Ahhh... toda la razon. Pero ese tambien era buen arquero. :D

17. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Absolutamente.

Metro

18. MesQueUnClub

MesQueUnClub New Member

Jul 23, 2006

if the US accepts and there are not enought teams for a 16 team competition who would you guys kick out Costa Rica, Mexico or the States?

19. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru

If they go with the 16 team format, I'm pretty sure all 3 of those teams you listed will be there.

Seems like it's definite tough. They will only invite two teams (12 nations format). Mexico is in and that leaves one spot. They will send an invitation to the US to participate. If it folds, then Costa Rica or maybe Panama will take the last opening.

20. 562nation

562nation Member

May 10, 2004
    (562)areacode LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the US will accept they wouldnt be making noise in the media. Its the first time ive seen the media talk about it here in the states. and i doubt they would make all this noise just to turn it down. Besides Sunil and the US soccer federation have these initiatives to attract more hispanics to follow the US team. Very important demographic for them. and what competition will the major hispanic comunities be watching next year. its definitely not going to be the gold cup. Copa america is the competition where the US can earn some repect just as mexico as done over the years.

21. ussoccerFan12358

Mar 11, 2006
    Central NY

^¡Brilante, no?!^

22. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru

I'm hoping the US makes it too. Great for everyone. Tourism and the US gains experience.

23. ac1962

ac1962 Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Punta Cana
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

And since when are you such a US lover????

Damn!!!! How fruking dissapointing:(

24. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru

It's a master plan called "humiliation" :D Nah, I'm just saying, for the US' own sake. If they wanna gain experience then they should go. And I'd prefer to have the spazzos than Guatemala or Costa Rica for that matter.

Hey, this isn't WR :D