Copa America Centenario

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by Revolt, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been thinking about this cup for some time since 16 teams provides for a nice and neat format - 16 teams = 4 groups of four.

Based off the 2014 World Cup, slotting each of the four groups can be done fairly.

Pot A: World Cup teams that reached the Quarterfinals or better (4 teams)
    Pot B: World Cup teams that reach the Round of 16 (4 teams)
    Pot C: 2 World Cup teams that did not get out of the Group Stage (2) and teams that DNQ (2 of six teams)
    Port D: 4 World Cup teams that DNQ.

To keep things simple, I'll assume the same six teams as in the CONCACAF Hexagonal.

Pot A: Brazil, USA, Peru, Panama
    Pot B: Argentina, Mexico, Venezuela, Jamaica
    Pot C: Costa Rica, Chile, Ecuador, Paraguay
    Pot D: Colombia, Uruguay, Honduras, Bolivia

I was surprised this worked out so cleanly. Ports A, B and D have two clear favorites to advance, and Pot C is very balanced, with any of the four teams capable of advancing, with Chile as the front runner.

2. Renato Goulart

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Jun 25, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think they're more likely to use FIFA rankings or some historical basis of sorts. Uruguay is the defending champion, and NT with the most Copa America Titles, I'd be surprised if they weren't seeded. Also, the US will be the host, so most likely they'll be seeded as well.

My guess would be:
    Pot A: USA, Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina
    Pot B: Mexico, Colombia, Chile, Costa Rica
    Pot C: Ecuador, Honduras, Peru, Paraguay
    Pot D: Bolivia, Venezuela, Jamaica, Panama

3. Renato Goulart

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Jun 25, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sorry, actually I forgot that by 2016 Uruguay will no longer be the defending champ (unless they repeat in 2015). In any case, they will probably end up with a seed unless we get a Champion outside of the top 3 in 2015.

4. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realized I made a mistake in first post - I meant those to be the four groups, not the four pots.

I do like the idea of seeing the USA - and avoiding Argentina and Brazil in the group stage.

5. Renato Goulart

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Jun 25, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I would love if this format became the norm from now on. 16 teams, combine Conmebol w/ Concacaf, every 4 years, in the same year as the EuroCup. This way we could get rid of the regular Copa America and the Gold Cup and actually have a competitive tournament to look forward to.

From what I heard, this centennial edition might have trouble getting the top players to be released by their clubs though, given that it's not an official FIFA date for these NTs. Hope they can get a way around it, as otherwise it will never really take off.

Jadentheman and Revolt repped this.