Copa America Brasil '19: USA Invited

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Rahbiefowlah, May 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope we're smart and get our A for the Copa and promise the clubs that they won't be called for the Gold Cup if they let them come for he Copa. It's a win win. The players likely prefer the better comp and new challenges of the Copa over that of the Gold Cup. The club gets their players back sooner and gets their players in a vastly more prestigious tournament that will do far more in raising their stock then any Gold Cup could ever do.

RalleeMonkey, jjmack and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  2. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Realistically, with a mixture of vets and youth / MLS, MX and Euros (and with a few players in both tourneys) - a competent coach could field two balanced teams.

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think MLS underestimates the value of getting their (US) players abroad to face top competition in a tournament setting, with a collection of guys who are not their regular teammates.
    They have to take a broader view.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Don't get too excited, we haven't accepted the invitation yet.

5. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, let's add turning them down to the list of incredible stupidly from US Soccer the past few years...

russ repped this.
  6. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    It seems weird that the decision is being/would be made without at least a GM (if not a new coach) in place. This seems like the sort of thing that a GM/coach might have strong feelings about one way or another in terms of how going/not going contributes to player development and how to set up two separate squads.

7. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #157 STR1, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    If we accept the invitation I don't think we take the "best" squad to CA. Gold Cup will be a priority since its from this confederation and a ticket to the Confederations Cup. Copa America, although more prestigious, is just a filler to reformat that tournament.

Best case scenario for US would be to send the veteran team (yes, the one that didn't qualify to the WC) a long with some players to test out. Players that won't make it to the younger squad. For example Rowe, Rubin.

And for Copa America send the young players that more than likely will play in the WC qualifiers and WC. Players like Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, Weah, Delgado, Steffen, Yedlin etc.

Or vice versa on the squads.

Mexico and the other CONCACAF team that gets invited will be on the same position. You can't have your best players at both tournaments. Clubs aren't obligated to lend out players for tournaments not pertaining to your own Confederation.

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This is ridiculous. Of course we should accept.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    When are they going to get rid of the fairies running US Soccer and replace them with men?

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    FWIW, Qatar has accepted:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...022-qatar-brazil-argentina-2019-copa-america/

Mexico is of course going to accept, and the other two invited teams are not very likely to attend: China and Japan.

Costa Rica and Panama may be invited at the last minute, to replace those two.

The sixth invited team is unknown, but rumor is that it's Jamaica (it has to be from C-CAF, they've invited three from AFC and three from C-CAF).

If things go as I expect them to go, and we accept (I hope we do, but wouldn't be surprised if we don't), it'd be a repeat of the 2016 tournament, except with Qatar in place of Haiti.

And Qatar, like Haiti, is likely to finish last.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    MLS does actually pay the salaries of these players to play for them.
    Its their choice whether to release players for the Copa America or not. They almost always release players when needed, so its really not that much of an issue. They're just not going to release a player for all of the events of the 2019 spring/summer. The number of events that a player like Tyler Adams is eligible for is quite long that year (U20 CONCACAF Champions, U20 World Cup, the U23 as it starts gelling for 2020 Olympic qualification, Gold Cup, League of Nations, Copa America, friendlies, etc. etc.) If he was released for all of the events he's eligible for he'd never actually play for NYRB. So its just going to be a negotiation with clubs throughout the spring/summer of next year.

BY the way.........................if I was in charge of the USSF I'd send a U23 team to the Copa America in preparation for Olympic qualifying. That would include the stars (Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, Parks, Sargent, Weah, CCV, EPB, Carleton, etc.). I know a U23 team doesn't sound like a strong team, but in the US' current pool its a strong team. Any of those players that clubs won't release for the Copa will go to the Gold Cup instead.

largegarlic repped this.
  12. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should? Yes. But I think Suyuntuy's point is that there is rational ground for doubt that what the USSF should do it, in fact, will do......:coffee:

edcrocker, RalleeMonkey and russ repped this.
  13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Like I said, MLS need to take a broader view of sending guys to CA/GC and turn it to their advantage. I don't think anybody would suggest we send somebody to GC prelims + KO round + CA. I was somebody who was in favor of calling up Sargent to GC in 2017 and he was eligible for U17's last year. Many US players improve a lot when they play international games because it gets them thinking a little out of the (club) box. In these cases, the international competition redounds to the advantage of the club. Getting a player called up from club also allows the club manager to skirt political issues (if any) of playing back ups and lets him develop depth.

I don't think USA fans care so much about winning CA as they do about putting on a decent showing which doesn't have to involve sending an all star team.

We don't really know if there will be a confed cup anyway so winning GC isn't important in that sense and we'd go to a playoff$$$ anyway because we won the 2017 GC.

edcrocker repped this.
  14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #164 IndividualEleven, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Euro-based players, imo, weren't nearly as jacked for the GC'14 as they were for the Copa Centenario. TBH, I'd rather see a mainly Euro-based squad sent to the Copa, with any talent shortfalls being filled by MLS-based players. There is plenty of MLS-based talent to cover the GC.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's simple for me. The Copa offers a higher standard of competition, a different opposing style of play than our players usually face and historical and challenging environments which will be of good experience.

So we send our A team.

That we won this past GC and will be in the playoff for the Copa slot at worst solidifies it.

But sure, I'd wager the USSF would prefer risking Pulisic's knees and ankles on a 108 degree evening in Frisco for the glorious USA vs Curacao matchup.

In which case he should decline.

In general I've moved to having the opinion all Euro based players should decline involvement given CONCACAF schedules the GC later than all other summer tournaments, heavily cutting into Euro preseasons. Make it a June tournament with the Final on July 4th.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m in favor of going to both. Further, I wouldn’t go strict A/B. I’d go for 2/3 A team to Copa, 1/3 to the gold Cup.

I don’t understand people who think it’s some enormous portentous decision either way. There’s a better and worse decision, but it ain’t a big deal either way.

Eighteen Alpha and largegarlic repped this.
  17. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's nothing like watching the Copa America on Univision with a 6 pack of beers on a nice summer night. Gonna miss that being an ex-pat now

Winoman repped this.
  18. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    VPN, bambino. VPN.

Winoman repped this.
  19. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No shot I’m staying up for an 8pm EST start haha

Winoman repped this.
  20. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I hear you. I usually watch replays.

21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This is another one of those cases where the brilliant media pre maturely decided for everybody that there is no "rush" in getting new leadership bedded in at US Soccer.

In the non-fake, real world, time is needed to build trust with club managers and players (agents). A lot of spade work can be done in advance to ensure we have ideal rosters for the two tournaments.

22. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the non-fake, real world, recycled cant and management school jargon is the muzak to the public's torpor. A sleeping rube is the easiest to dupe, eh?

russ repped this.
  23. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the way USSF operates, I don't have any confidence that they will find a competent coach. If the USA wins a single match in Copa America 2019, I'll be amazed.

24. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    They could accidentally name a competent coach. ;)

TOAzer repped this.
  25. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Very inaccurate. Fairies are magical, enchanted creatures that bring joy and delight via the supernatural - USSF is a bunch of dudes in expensive suits who bring tears and sadness and grinding everything into dirt and mud.

russ, 2in10, ceezmad and 2 others repped this.