Copa America Brasil '19: USA Invited

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Rahbiefowlah, May 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    With the CONCACAF League of Nations; we will play CONCACAF teams plenty over the next four years. We should send our best team to CA19. Gulati must be saying teams wouldn't release their players for two tournaments because I doubt they'd care which tournament they went to (or might prefer CA19 as it is higher profile).

SUM makes money off GC, which is why Sunil can't fathom not sending the most marketable team to that tournament. Always money over soccer progress for him and his crew.

acima, sXeWesley, gunnerfan7 and 4 others repped this.
  2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SUM probably doesn't want us to participate in both as the window for both runs from about June 7 thru July 26 or something like that, almost two months. That means MLS will be without many of its good players during that time which produces a worse product and compromises competition for almost the entire summer.

Yet another reason to change the calendar.

Patrick167 repped this.
  3. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    The idea that the federation would allow the Men's national team to go SEVEN YEARS (give or take) without kicking a ball in anger against a real team in a real game with real stakes outside of the United States, it...it's like a parody of what people say about USSF.

Get your behinds out there and compete.

sXeWesley, gunnerfan7, russ and 6 others repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They should stop inviting us already. We only play games in our own backyard, don't they know that?

Also, a couple of moleros with Mexico would make more money for us than Copa. Heck, add two more and we'd make more than going three-and-out in World Cups.

5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're basically the kid who shows up at school and talks shit all day about what a baller he is, then when someone says ok, lets go 1v1, he runs and hides.

Sunil wants to do that with Copa. MLS does it with Copa Libertadores.

For how F'ing good everyone thinks we are we sure walk away from a lot of challenges.

Since ATL has one of the premier academies in the world, their products alone should make us competitive in Copa America. Oh wait.....you mean when it's time to put up or shut up the marketing falls apart?

Excellency, russ, Suyuntuy and 1 other person repped this.
  6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This makes no sense.

We played several months back in T&T. I understand if you blocked that game from your memory; I wish I could. And of course qualies start some time in 2020. It'll be like 2 1/2 years.

7. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think by "Real Team" he wasn't counting T&T's reserve side and CONCACAF teams in general.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the poster is stupid. YMMV.

9. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    No, I'm quite stupid.

Admittedly I am playing a bit fast and loose with those terms. And sure, going and playing at Mexico or at Costa Rica presents that sort of challenge. But a big tournament is even more so, and of a different nature as well. And it's also a matter of giving the US soccer fan community something to watch.

sXeWesley, Eighteen Alpha and TOAzer repped this.
  10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

I dunno. They're still glorified friendlies to invitees. To me anyway.

But that's me speaking as a fan. If the players are serious, that's what matters.

11. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    I think the context of missing out on the World Cup and then sending a full strength team to Brazil against a big time field the next year would induce big time TV rights and a sense that this is the real thing, despite that not being the case for previous US entries into Copa America.

sXeWesley, TOAzer and 2in10 repped this.
  12. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    #87 RalleeMonkey, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    If ever there was proof that Sunil had to go, it's him stating we would not go to CA. There is nothing that should keep us from going to that tournament. *Especially* with the impending Balkanization of confeds, so you only play teams in your region.

To me, the LON thing is being driven by Uefa. I would like to see all of the other confederations tell FIFA f*ck that. If that is the new norm, UEFA can have their own world cup. The rest of the confederations will re-form and have their own WC, W/o uefa.

But, back to the topic at hand. is there a candidate running for USSF whose platform is f*ck SUM? if so, I'm voting for that guy. (I'm assuming it's a guy, because of the women, 1 used to work for SUM and the other is Hope. I assume her platform is f*ck everyone).

I would try to kick start a #boycottGoldCup thing if we don't go to CA.

And, I'm tempted to say screw U.S. soccer until the contract with SUM is over.

(also when it is over, I suggest we break the Men's and Women's SF's into two silo's. Free the women to negotiate their own agreements, so that the men are not "piggybacking on their success" as Foudy would say."

Eighteen Alpha and TOAzer repped this.
  13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...if we participate in both..

Gold Cup roster
    GK Guzan, Steffen, Gonzalez
    FB Yedlin, Garza, D. Acosta, Polster
    CB Glad, Zimmermann, Parker, Opara
    MF Trapp, K. Acosta, Delgado, D. Williams
    AT Pulisic, Rowe, Lennon, Nagbe
    FW Altidore, Ramirez, Dwyer, Sargent

——Sargent—Altidore——-
    —————Pulisic—————
    ——Rowe————-Nagbe—-
    —————Williams—————
    Garza————————-Yedlin
    ——-Parker———Glad———-
    —————Steffen—————-

Copa America roster
    GK Hamid, Horvath, Klinsmann
    FB S. Moore, Chandler, Lichaj, A.Robinson
    CB Brooks, Miazga, Carter-Vickers, Palmer-Brown
    MF McKennie, Parks, Roldan, Torres
    AT Arriola, Gooch, Amon, Saief
    FW Wood, Sapong, Johansson, Tillman

————Sapong——Wood————
    Amon—McKennie—Roldan—Arriola
    Lichaj———————————Moore
    ————Brooks——Miazga————
    ———————Hamid———————

Alternates
    GK Bono, Cropper
    DF Lima, Vincent, Villafana, Morrow, F.Johnson, Hairston, Nerwinski, Rosenberry
    CB Hedges, Long, Ford, Zavaleta, Redding
    MF Canouse, Harkes, Morales, Kitchen, Hyndman
    AT Lletget, Morris, Finlay, Scott, Manneh, Carleton
    FW Zardes, Siebatcheu*, Rubin, Weah, Wright, Novakovich, Green, Picault, Boyd

2in10 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  14. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    SUM owns CONMEBOL TV rights as well.

15. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are reminded that this self-aggrandizing first rate money-grubber, second-rate mind, third-rate economist, fourth-rate USSF "President", has a beautifully long track record of doing the stupidest thing possible when it comes to the good of the sport in this country.
    How bad is this sucker? So goddamn bad that it's objectively possible that a Hope Solo and Eric Wynalda look better than him. But Sunil will continue to "fail up" all the way to his golden toilet in Switzerland.

gunnerfan7, sXeWesley, adi21 and 3 others repped this.
  16. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Clearly, the US needs to be at this tournament. If Dortmund and the other major European clubs refuse to release players like Pulisic for the Copa America, then send an MLS/Mexico* only team to the Copa America and the Yanks Abroad to the Gold Cup instead.

*Liga MX won't refuse callups of US players since Mexico will be in both tournaments too.

neems and Winoman repped this.
  17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our players shit the bed under the pressure of the night lights at mighty T&T and Sunil's response is our players don't need more high level competition.

I hope Pulisic's response is "if you're too scared and/or too corrupt to play in Copa America then I'm rejecting a Gold Cup callup and not allowing you to simply try to earn marketing bucks off my back while I risk getting my leg broken vs the likes of Panama and Honduras while your poster boy captain won't even bat an eyelid to protect me".

TheRightPants, acima, sXeWesley and 9 others repped this.
  18. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I could get on board with that platform.

............. (especially if she is part of 'everyone') :oops:

TOAzer repped this.
  19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #94 ceezmad, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Portugal and Spain are the former colonial masters, I believe that is the connection there.

Yes, because Conmebol would prefer the WC in China over a Conmebol country. o_O

Edit: I just saw the dates for these replies, lol my bad.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So why no African country then?

Edit: I just saw the dates for these replies, lol my bad.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The reason African teams seldom embark in long trips is mainly economics.

22. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    At this point, we are not one of the “ Real Teams”. As of 10/10/2017 we are on par with T&T’s reserve side. We should be so lucky to get a result against them in 2 1/2 years

23. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool story bro.

superdave, gunnerfan7 and 2in10 repped this.
  24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Sunil doesn't want to participate in something as great and historic as Copa America but would proudly hold a Tournament of Losers this summer for pure profit says it all.

Excellency, russ, gunnerfan7 and 6 others repped this.
  25. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunil's no longer in charge, so who cares what he thinks?

Jazzy Altidore and 2in10 repped this.