Copa America 2019

Discussion in 'Copa America 2019' started by Danko, Oct 31, 2018.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes in 1999.
    What does that have to do with my post though?

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Guy in the article say it was the first time CA calls teams from outside Americas.

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    He said for the first time they invited two from outside the Americas. Usually it is at least one from the CONCACAF.

5. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Just a stat: everytime Brazil has hosted the Copa America, they have won it. I don't expect this year to be any different. Brazil have lost at home less than 10 times in their history I think, they are simply a different beast at home and against South Americans they dominate.

Think of it this way: Colombia and Chile were better than them in the 2014 World Cup, and still beat both. They lost to Germany because they are Germany. The inferiority complex exists with everyone else but Argentina, and they are not looking great if you ask me.

If Brazil fails to win the Copa, then Tite really needs to go.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's a BS stat. We hosted it 4 times 3 of them 1949 and before. And in 89 it was a completely different format. It means nothing really.

7. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    That's not the point I'm making though.

Brazil rarely lose at home to South Americans. The only 2 losses I remember off the top of my head are the Maracanazo in 1950 and to Peru in 1975. They've never lost at home in qualifying and won against 2 superior sides in the 2014 World Cup.

I don't care about what the format was. My point was that Brazil rarely lose at home. They only do to superior, or similar sides to them.

Records are there to be broken, but I honestly can't see it. Brazil are a different beast at home. Only one I can see knocking them out is Uruguay as the inferiority complex exists to a less extent with them.

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Our record in qualifying at home is superb. Specially since we've maintained it since the format change to round-robin between all teams.

But tournament is a different story. In 2014 we only beat Chile on PKs. Could have easily lost it in regular time too as Chile hit the post from a close shot near the end. If we don't win, I won't be that surprised. Uruguay and Colombia are tough. I have no clue what's going on with Chile. Argentina are a big question mark.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It will be difficult to beat Brasil in an elimination match at home but not impossible. Especially without Neymar.

It may take a herculean effort but I could see Uruguay,, Argentina or even my Colombia doing it. But all in different ways and in different fashions.

That said, they are still top dogs and favorites. Just not as invincible as I think they can be.

10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I'd much rather see Mexico and the United States participate in a Copa América than teams like Japan or Qatar. Mexico, at full strength, can compete with just about anybody and the United States has had some memorable moments in this tournament. It has been at most an infrequent participant, but it's still part of the New World.

Besides, for fans living in the U.S. (raises hand), watching Telemundo's Mexican anchormen celebrating Mexican goals is always fun "golaaaaaaaaaaazo azo azo azo!"

praxis.en repped this.
  11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe in 2024 the USA and Mexico will be invited again.

12. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    They may be invited, but I'm not sure they'll want to participate in a tournament that might require them to fly six hours from group stage to knockout stage. If the planners divide the knockout brackets evenly between both countries, one team will still need to make the long flight for the final, and that alone is disruptive.

Copa América 2020 should either have been hosted by the U.S., which has the infrastructure and the capability to host such a tournament every single summer - or not at all with a 5-year-long gap until 2024, at which time Copa América would have been held with the European Championship.

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #38 HomietheClown, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    We are not sure what the 2024 format will be.

I agree 2020 should have been played in the USA but CONMEBOL obviously does not agree.
    They found a way to make boat loads of money (Qatar) without having to rely on USA or Mexican television deals being the main cash flow.

14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    You think Brazil can be invincible at home? You're more optimistic about Brazil than many Brazilians! :D

Brazil is definitely a top contender, but the matches must be played. We will all know for sure soon enough if any of the other teams has what it takes to eliminate Brazil.

Well, the 2024 format is likely to be similar to what we've had in recent years. What will also happen is that it'll happen parallel to the European Championships. So it'll be peculiar to potentially have to choose between Germany vs. England or France vs. Netherlands or Italy vs. Spain while Bolivia vs. Venezuela is being broadcast at the very same time. I'll probably pick the European fixture. :p

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #40 HomietheClown, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019

I think if Brasil were fully healthy and fit and jelling at the right time they would be about as invincible as any host team in any competition. But of course every team has weaknesses.

The Euro alignment will produce very little conflicts since the Euro matches are going to be played in the morning and afternoon for Western Hemisphere Time zones while the Copa America kickoff time slots will be evening times.

16. praxis.en

praxis.en Member

May 13, 2015
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    htye bring more interest to the cup here in the US for sure

17. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Very boring match as of now

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    IT got a little better in the second half.

One team wanted to play futbol (or futebol). The other just wanted to play 10 guys in the box and hold on for dear life.

19. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Was hardly 10 in the box though. They had most of their players in the midfield. They were doing alright until the penalty. Never threatened the Brazilians though.

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Hardly? Did you see all the opportunities Brasil had in the box? over and over and over again?
    Yes, saying 10 in the box is always an exaggeration but the point is one team was dominant and the other was poor in comparison.

21. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Dominant doesn't mean "10 in the box though". Brazil were comfortable but Bolivia had a clear midfield line rather than in their own box.

Bolivia got forward a few times, they just failed to do anything with their attacks.

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Tactically speaking there are other nations that play more defensive I will give you that. But it seemed like we will not agree on what we saw for most of the game. Their Midfield only developed and appeared pragmatically but it was a good strategy until the penalty. And of course they could not play them any other way.

SiempreCrema repped this.
  23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    What are your views on the Peru-Venezuela match @SiempreCrema?

24. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    If we lose we are basically out. Need at least a draw. Not the most optimistic fella to be honest, we have not been the same since the World Cup.

Hopefully all those friendlies were just smokescreen to what is really about to come for us.

HomietheClown repped this.
  25. praxis.en

praxis.en Member

May 13, 2015
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Peru was really unlucky in this game
    im also really dissapointed with venezuela, seems like their performance has been going down instead of up with Dudamel