Copa America 2019: Japan vs Chile

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Kenny South, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Keren

Keren Member+

Feb 15, 2013
    France
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Personally I expected a 0-3 in which we would have been completely outlcassed, from A to Z.

I much prefer this 0-4... Which goes to show that the final result score is not everything.
    Moreover, the last two goals conceded in the very end of the game are almost a detail.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  2. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Sure, Japan is aiming for double-gold medals for both men and women teams.

3. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Other than Shoji and Tomiyasu and at best Ueda, I don't think Japan have a lot of CBs options at the moment imo. Japan still have someways to go before being able to say that they have a bunch of good young CBs. I agree that the situation has improved tho.

Still, the most worrying position imo is CF. If Osako gets injured, I am not sure who can play his role of holding the ball up and playing with his back to goal. Closest I can think of is Yuma Suzuki, but he gets injured quite a lot. Japan need to test more alternatives in the position. Maybe Koki Ogawa can be tried due to his build.

For Gks wisd, I think maybe Nakamura and Wakahara can be tried. Obi and Osako are also decent alternatives.

4. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    The main difference between Ajax kids and these JNT kids is that the dutchs were paired with some older players able to finalize what their young mates build up.
    Plus they had a full preseason to know each other and training togheter not 4 days.

Anyway I like Daizen Maeda so much, I wanna see him play as offensive FW vs Uruguay instead of the defending FW he roled vs Chile.

seolseol and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  5. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Daizen Maeda is rumored to have an offer from Barca B.

6. Kenny South

Kenny South Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    South Korea
    May 25, 2019
    Horrible mistake to not include some veteran players in the line up. Someone should be fired for this sense of arrogance.

seolseol repped this.
  7. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Arrogance??? It's the opposite: Moriyasu went to Brazil with the Olympic Team to train them for Tokyo2020 ignoring any thought about winning the group or reaching the ko stage.

Keren and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  8. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Rather see them go to smaller leagues and clubs that rotting in a big club B team. Seen it to many times.

9. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Maeda was a pleasant surprise. And that he looks like japanese warrior makes it even better.

teioh and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  10. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Naive.

11. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Why is it naive? The games are in Tokyo.. nothing wrong with aiming to win the whole damn thing. Better yet, this should be the approach for every tournament regardless of how outrageous & difficult it may sound.

12. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Agree, it is better for them to get used to top level opposition before the WC than at the WC.
    Japan's success before the 2006 WC & 2014 WC may have contributed a little of their false sense of security imo and they crumbled in these 2 WCs.

Qatar's recent success in the Asian Cup may also help to serve as a reminder that there are also strong teams in AFC and other teams are also catching up to Japan.

13. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Olympic Games are always a different story especially for the host country.
    From the big China to the little Greece, all host countries greatly improved their performance and number of medals in front of their compatriots maybe even with the help of some judges.

Nadeshiko is top tier women football and they must always aim for the 1st place.
    Samurai Blue are not but by 2020 they will have a more experienced team (even thanks to this Copa America?) with a couple or more of (we hope) worldwide famous players. So aiming for the gold is nothing idiotic by JFA, certainly less moronic that the 2005 declaration joke.

14. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yeah what's up with side-backs......who is taking the mantle after Nagatomo/Sakai?

This must be the outcome of the increase in 3-back systems in Japan last 8 or so years.

15. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am talking about Copa America. So he did say he want to win Olympics also?

16. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yuta Nakayama was uncontestedly Japan’s poorest performer against Chile.

His reckless tackle on Vidal and the yellow-card he he received after that challenge might made him traumatised and afraid to challenge Chile’s players.

In all of the first 3 Chile’s goals he is the one to blame for all of them:

1- In the first goal he somehow missed the player under his mark, Pulgar, and just stood Idly in front of the goal; not jumping to clear the ball, not marking any opposing player, and leaving Pulgar alone to head the ball home. While a desperate Naomichi Ueda last moment jump to close down Pulgar and clear the ball was not successful as he was not the one responsible of marking Pulgar to begin with, and just tried to surge into his path after Nakayama mis-marked him.

1140809966426574848 is not a valid tweet id

2- In the second goal he was moving after the ball from the centre of the field all the way to Japan’s penalty area, not trying to close-on any of the players in possession, nor challenging them, nor marking one of them which made his teammates distracted and did not know what to do as Nakayama was blocking their path by his amateurish movement, which left Vargas completely unmarked with enough time and space to score Chile’s second goal.

1140776090312429568 is not a valid tweet id

3- In the third goal he was in a perfect position to clear Chile’s cross on the left-side of Japan’s penalty area, but he hesitated, allowing Aranguiz to seize the ball, and then he didn’t challenge Aranguiz, neither he blocked his cross, which resulted in Alexis Sanchez heading the ball home in the right post.

1140782625692372992 is not a valid tweet id

I don’t know what is the problem with him, and whether the early yellow-card he received made him afraid of challenging Chile’s players as he could have got another yellow-card and got sent-out, but he was literally Japan’s worst player, and his lackadaisical performance made fellow debutant Sugioka look awful because he was playing on the same side of the pitch.
    Perhaps if another player was playing in Nakayama’s place, Sugioka would play better and look better, but he was certainly not the one to blame for his own below-par performance.

I hope Matsumoto will start next match against Uruguay, or even Itakura, but please: NO MORE NAKAYAMA.

Kakeru, teioh and seolseol repped this.
  17. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    He said he is aiming for gold medals at the Olympics not Copa America.

seolseol repped this.
  18. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Is there anything that suggest they will? Im not sure..

19. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Nothing.
    They will not.
    Ok?

20. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I know that

21. Interiores

Interiores Member

East Tokyo United
    Japan
    Jun 3, 2016
    Japan
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  22. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    i think you missed his sarcasm

23. morimotomania93

Japan
    Jan 22, 2019
    #148 morimotomania93, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    moriyasu came to get the draw against Uruguay which will give him a better chance to qualify in the 3rd game. he also says they came here not only for experience but also to win and he announced that there will be changes in the eleven compared to the match against Chile because they only had 2 days off. here are the main lines of this article in french : https://fr.besoccer.com/info/le-japon-signe-pour-un-nul-face-a-l-uruguay-657711

24. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    in 2011 Mexico sent a U-22 to Copa America, the went 0-3. One year later that team won the 2012 London Olympics as a U-23 team. Nothing they faced in London was a good as those Copa America teams. This young Japan team played well and will only get better.

teioh and Samurai Warrior repped this.