News: Cooper turns down call up for TandT

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by narko, Oct 12, 2008.

1. narko

narko New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    North Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob called him.

Kenny declined.

2. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Where's E66?

3. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    OMG BB is an idiot

First page!

4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Do we really need another Cooper thread? :rolleyes:

{Subscribes :eek:}

5. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Anyone else humming, 'take this job (roster spot?) and shove it. I ain't working here no more.' as they read this?

6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Perhaps Bob should have sent flowers with his invitation.

7. ussoccerFan12358

Mar 11, 2006
    Central NY
    Hasn't KC done this once before? He's either confident in his relationship with BB enough that he'll get a call-up for the Guat game or he's serious, or maybe he is sticking it to Bob, but I doubt it.

8. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but Bob put Kenny in a tough spot ,since he had not called him up for both games...Assuming his club was not aware of the possibility of "surprise! callup " what is Kenny supposed to do..Heck it's only the season on the line for him, teammates, club and fans..... compared to what, minutes with the NT when he's already physically not 100% ?

So to an extent i have to agree Bob is a moron, this time for calling him up, when he was a moron beofre for NOT calling him up.... Fair and balanced, all right :p

9. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Or, just maybe, his explanation should be taken at face value?

(Not necessarily saying it should. Just sayin'...)

10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta love this. But Kenny is right. With your team in a dogfight for the playoffs and this game against T&T not counting for anything in the standings, he is right to say no thanks. we all know that Cooper wouldn't be starting the game even with the regulars gone, and he'd be looking at 20 minutes of garbage time, at most. His last 2 games with Dallas are way more important.

11. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Kenny's wating to see how this "retroactive citizenship" angle Germany's trying to pull off works out... ;)

Props to Bob for making the call - he's officially off my hook on this one (but hopefully another call comes for Guatemala)...

Props to Kenny for his rationale in turning the call down...even though I'm going to hate seeing you on the pitch Saturday night at The Rio, and hopefully it all comes to naught anyway...:D

(but next time Bob calls...I'm just sayin')

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Better check your BS ToS - we do not take explanations at face value. That's not ever, as in never. So get back to work ...

13. gazza

gazza Member

Dec 15, 2004
    I agree that the games in Dallas mean more but is he killing a chance of a call up later? Seems like a risk. That is of course assuming he wants to play for the nats.

14. WaltonFire

WaltonFire Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So people bitch when Bradley doesn't call Cooper in for a game, then he does, and people bitch that it's Bradley's fault Cooper declined by not asking him earlier? How does that make any sense? It's as though people start with the conclusion (Bradley is a moron) and interpret the evidence to fit their predetermined world view, whether it fits or not.

15. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    How about some taking back the "Bradley is an idiot for not calling up Cooper" remarks? Cooper turned down an offer to play for the NT which is fine, but if you're getting few looks on the National Team, I would think you'd at least make an attempt to impress the coaching staff.

16. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Ridiculous isn't it?

17. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Speaking for myself, I find it kind of funny....

18. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    I mentioned this on another thread...after Cooper had his leg broken last season he never heard a single word from Bradley or ANYONE connected with US Soccer. Not a "sorry about that"..."hope you get well soon"....not a single fcuking word....Alex Ferguson called however and Manchester United sent him a "get well soon" gift while he was still in hospital.

19. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    if we are talking about for this time... then thats fair... if this post applies to over the last 12 months, im going to have to disagree... Bradley is an idiot for calling up Eddie Johnson and Ching over Cooper over the last 12 months

20. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Puts an interesting spin on the proceedings.

Though that adds to my twin suspicions that A) somebody doesn't like somebody, regardless of what they say, and/or B) that Bradley is just as cold and aloof as his interview manner (and seemingly most of his coaching suggestions) would suggest.

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Is there really anything to read into here? How does it benefit Cooper's career when he declines the call up? He's just trying to stay healthy and help his team since he wouldn't have been able to help the Nats.

22. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    They have enough guys to sit on the bench in T&T already....

23. WaltonFire

WaltonFire Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have two thoughts on this:
    1) How does the USSF treat other little used (two caps I believe) players who get injured? Was the treatment of Cooper anomylous? If so, Cooper may have a legitimate reason for resentment, but if not this is irrelevant
    2) Even so, you portray this as a grand conspiracy to avoid ever having Cooper play with the MNT. You cannot tell me Bradley planned ahead and avoided sending a card to Cooper to alienate him in the future. Whether Cooper felt he was treated well by the USSF during his injury or not, the fact is, he was asked to participate in this game and he declined. You cannot claim anymore that the USSF is deliberately not looking at Cooper or that the plan was to ignore him forever. We did the same thing with him as we did with Altidore, hold off until we clinched advancement and then try to work him into the rotation.

24. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

I'll take the B option....

25. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    He got hurt in MLS play. Bob Bradley, on top of his managing duties, should be sending flowers to fringe national team players that get injured in club play.

You ********ing serious? That hurt his feelings? Gimme a break. I think Kenny should've been brought in earlier, but I see no reason US Soccer should have to send him a gift or something.

Christ, if they sent a gift to every player injured they'd have already spent their entire budget on Beasley, JOB and Gibbs already.