Contingency Plans?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by SetPeace, May 26, 2012.

1. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's way too early to talk about MLS Cup 2012, but I was wondering. If San Jose earns the right to host this year's playoff final, would it be held at Buck Shaw Stadium or some other larger venue in the Bay Area? If the Quakes are in the final, would it be their decision or the League's as to where to play it? This year's final is scheduled for December 1, so there may not be many conflicts if the final is moved to another location in the vicinity. What do MLS fans think (particularly Quakes fans) about this possible scenario? I'm sure there would be pressure on both sides of the argument to keep it in Santa Clara where most of San Jose's games are played or move it to a larger stadium so as to maximize ticket sales.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've been told, until their new 18,000 fixed-seat stadium is ready (either in mid-late 2013 or on Opening Day 2014, depending on who you ask), any MLS Cup final hosted by the San Jose Earthquakes would be held in a larger nearby venue, most likely Stanford Stadium.

Afterwards, though, all San Jose Earthquakes hosted MLS Cup finals would be held in their new stadium.

-G

3. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Goodsport! The Earthquakes sure are "shaking things up" this season. They could be a true contender for the Cup if they keep getting positive results. Even though we haven't gotten to June yet, the jockeying for playoff positions is well underway!

Goodsport repped this.
  4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad I could help. :)

Hopefully the Earthquakes can indeed rumble their way to the Cup and win it all.

-G

5. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about a San Jose vs. Chicago final? Earthquakes vs. a team whose shirt sponsor is "Quaker" :whistling:

jvilla07 repped this.
  6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That could get particularly interesting if Chicago Fire restaurant became the San Jose Earthquakes' jersey sponsor beforehand. :D

-G

7. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be at Buck Shaw Stadium.

8. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I hope so.

9. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why at Buck Shaw? So we can try to break the record for smallest attendence at an MLS Cup Final? If the Quakes make it that far, they need to advertise the crap out of that match, and fill Stanford Stadium. This team needs to build a bigger presence in the Bay Area. Hosting the final will be a good way to start. Don't limit yourself to Buck Shaw.

10. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be at Buck Shaw because that's the team's home stadium, and renting a bigger stadium on short notice during football season isn't practical. It's possible Stanford Stadium will be hosting the Pac-12 championship game the night before.

11. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel the only reason most of us know about that restaurant is because they have the chicagofire.com url. :D

Would At&t park work as a potential venue?

12. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And how many seats can be added to Buck Shaw if/when the Quakes make the final?

13. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Spartan stadium?

14. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    The "Buck Shaw headache" is now gone for 2012 at least...

However, it may well return in 2013/14/15, before S.J. stadium is up.

The league better figure out something BETTER in the next season(s) and announce it BEFORE the season commences.

Meanwhile, maybe the stop-gap measures for now would be:
    If SJ were to host the final, it will be held at the nearest SSS, which is... HDC?? :ROFLMAO:

15. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Interesting article where the above map was drawn from:
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/02/01/climbing-ladder-measuring-mls-market-presence
    More interesting reads at:
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/climbing-the-ladder
    (any idea why the wonderful archive wasn't updated since Apr-12?)