Containment zone: the Klinnsman / Donovan fault line

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DHC1, Dec 2, 2018.

1. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klopp quizzed over Zidane’s supposed ‘lack of tactics’

“If people think Zidane has no tactical knowledge – because people think the same about me – it would be really funny if two managers in the final had no clue about tactics,” he quipped. “What would that say about the game?

https://www.football365.com/news/klopp-quizzed-over-zidanes-supposed-lack-of-tactics

Zinedine is the first coach to win 3 UCLs in a row. Now that he is back at Madrid the experts are again claiming that he has no tactical knowledge.

juveeer repped this.
  3. btlove

btlove Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2017
    Austin Texas
    The dogs name is Coop and you’re looking at his preferred sitting position. He’s actually my dad’s, though I am in the market for a pup of my own

4. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Klinsmann is Amazing compared to the shit we have now. And only if control-freak Garber stayed the f out of his way, Donovan would be on the 2014 World Cup too.

Klinsmann got us out of the group of death with Germany, Portugal, and Ghana with most travel distance logistics involved of any 2014 WC team. The he was a Wondolowski mis-hit from taking out Belgium in R16. All this with wingers...……….Bedoya and Zusi. Think about that.

Most players liked Klinsmann as he pushed them to their limits.

When Klinsmann took over he put Bradley's ass on the bench and Bradley responded by having the 2 best years of his career 2012-2013.

Then down the road It was Michael Bradley supported by Don Garber, Bob Bradley, and Bruce Arena who maneuvered to get Klinsmann out.

Stop blaming Klinsmann for the nasty corrupt cabal Bradley-Berhalter-Arena-Garber infused cocktail.

juveeer and bsky22 repped this.
  5. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Coop looks likely really good boy, That sitting position reminds me of a neighbor's dog years ago when I got mine. I hope you find what you are looking for. Mine is a ton of work, but absolutely amazing.

btlove repped this.
  6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I dont think anything would have gotten Donovan to the world cup other than being more professional. Klinsmann biggest messages were to better professionals and push themselves to be their best. Donovan assumed he couldn't be cut (though he said something after the fact that he thought JK might do something stupid) and said and did whatever he wanted. He thought if he passed the GC test everything was behind him. Luckily for fans, JK challenging LD in 2013 enabled us to get an idea of what he could have been. What a waste of talent.

7. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    What do idiots think this means? How does bringing in the same motivational speaker who many MAJOR league sports teams fit you narrative.

8. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get help, man...

9. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    GFY... I'd be more worried about you stalking people on the internet.

I do think it is very amusing that LDs best tournament was under Klinsmann. His uber fans think he was as good as he could have been which is way better than he actually was. Imagine if played with intensity of that gold cup against Ghana in two WCs, instead of playing scared.

10. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    LOL.

Look at who Zizou played for.

No way he plays for all those top coaches and knows nothing about tactics.

LOL he played for Juventus and Lippi, one of the best tactical coaches and clubs in the world. No way he was a record transfer from Turin without learning same tactics!

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  11. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
  12. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #338 iad_22201, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    The 9th ranked team in South America. Clearly a manager in the mold of Klopp and Zidane!

Seriously though, there's a clear pattern developing in this guys managerial career wrt the quality of opportunities available to him. They keep getting worse...

14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's got some Sam Bradford in him, I will give him that. gets paid a lot for doing very little, and waits for the right opportunity. Point of fact, isnt it about time for Sam Bradford to get signed as well? lol

15. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Moved

at the time, I thought that being Bradley back was a good thing as he was the type of person who would excel and learn to become “the man” even when playing at a lower level than he was capable of playing. I stated here on BS that it was bad to say anything publicly about MLS and everything should be behind closed doors.

In hindsight, I’m not sure what he said was wrong at all - it was hard for Bradley to retain his high level of play while playing in MLS. I don’t know if it’s really “dismissing the local leagues” to say that we want our best players to play in better leagues. MLS was pissed because they had just started a new strategy of having USMNT stars at the peak playing in MLS but I think it remains true: it would be very bad for the USMNT if our best players played in MLS.

Finally, it appears that Klinsmann had the same number if not more of MLS players on his squad and lineups than historically so not sure where the bias is. He definitely didn’t like the championship though.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out of a morbid sense of curiosity, I’m going to ask...how was that Garber’s fault?

DHC1 repped this.
  17. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Every national team coach said or did worse things than Klinsmann since the league was formed. Sampson and Arena blamed MLS for their poor performances and Bradley only took 4 players from MLS seems much worse than it will maintain the form players had at Roma and Tottenham while playing in MLS. Of course Dempsey was mentally tough enough to drop off materially and we all have to continue to suffer watching Bradley be a shell of what he used to be.

18. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO that had very little to do with MLS and more to do with the foot surgery he had right before the 2014 World Cup and the 2nd surgery he had to have after the Cup.

He was never the same player after that 1st surgery. The drop-off was immense.

19. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Possibly true. However, his drop off wasn’t readily apparent in MLS as it would have been in better leagues and that hurt the USMNT.

20. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well IMO it was readily apparent in the 2014 World Cup and every national team games he played thereafter.

21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    #346 DHC1, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Given that you're a moderator, I'll ask again for some specifics on what exactly set the program back a decade.

Here's an article

https://www.businessinsider.com/jurgen-klinsmann-usmnt-poor-chemistry-2018-6

the gist was that his bringing in Fabian, Jones, Chandler, Brooks and Green were too much for certain folks (primarily Bradley, who tried to lead a coup).

Is that what upset you? or is it primarily the Donovan issue?

Lastly, who are the players who were harmed? Please name names rather than "everybody" as that's not a response that engenders discussion.

FWIW, I agree with the criticism wrt to his tactics and uncertainty whether the stuff he was saying was planned or off-the-cuff ramblings.

22. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Perhaps my biggest criticism of Klinsmann is that after speaking the truth about how hard it would be for Bradley to retain his form after returning to a lower level, he did nothing when what he predicted to happen actually happened. Bradley was still the first name pencilled into his lineup.

I also strongly disagree with his whole "Americans attack" philosophy but I've given enough grist for THHF and bsky22 to respond back with how wrong I am. Bring it on, guys.

23. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Coup? Interesting.

2. Insert list of every player who played for him. Literally every single one. Save maybe Evans?

3. The Donovan thing was ridiculous. As was Bocanegra. As was everything else.

24. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    you think that every player who played for him would have had a better career if Klinsmann wasn’t coach?

25. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I'm not following?

KokoPuff is just another idiot. good luck with conversation.