Con't: New BigSoccer (Baobab) Feedback & Suggestions Thread

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, Jul 30, 2007.

1. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Ditto. This is exactly what I was going to type. (although the fee went up to $19something a while back)

Please give us a skin like the MLS Skin (ie just like the version of BS that you just switched from), but with all the functionality that seems to be left out of the MLS skin at the moment.

I know you guys want to "improve" the site and are working hard.....but I am seriously getting frustrated with these changes. I liked what we had.

2. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    It truly is hard on the eyes

A red and Yellow combination would be nice

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why you need multiple skins. Not everyone likes the white, so we have the MLS skins. But what about the people who aren't MLS fans? Now, i'm not saying we need one skin per member, but the more skins there are, the happier everyone is.

I have no idea how this is done behind the scenes, but Trillian allows users to customize and upload their own skins. I know this isn't the only place i've seen user-created skins. Why couldn't BS go down the same route?

4. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it would be nice if i could give rep on the 365 skin... the only icon i have anymore for each post is "report post"

5. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe if we "report post" until BS disintegrates.

:rolleyes:

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seem to have all the icons in the default skin, but can't rep anyone.

You're not the only one. Check post 2.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=577424

7. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huss, DK, et al:

I do understand that you guys have been working your asses off the past few days doing these upgrades. Please dont think that most of us do not realise this, or do not appreciated it. We do. If we didnt, im not sure that many would even bother voicing thier concerns / likes / dislikes here.

The fact that it takes quite a bit of time to get something like this kind of majore online change, or do file migrations..etc is the very reason why I said I would give things a week or two to get all tweaked out. Please tell me if you think I am wrong, however, I think a couple weeks would be sufficient enough time to get down to the lower priority things, no?

That said, I really truly hope that you guys listen to alot of the comments, and make those changes.

Most importantly, for me at least, is the color of the site. The white has to go, its awful. I prefer to look at light text on a black or very dark background. Its easier on the eyes, and easier to read. I believe that many instrument panels in planes, and now cars have gone to black with read lighted read outs, because its easier on the eyes, and easier to read. Im not suggesting big soccer go black, but even a darker grey background or another subtle , muted darker color would work much better. Perhaps to cut down on the "whiteness" why not make most of the other functionality a darker color, like the navigation bar thats to the left. Make it dark read with white text. little things like that will help.

Next, is the fact that its now a center column of text / graphics. I HATE having all this wasted space on either side of my laptop screen. I have a 14" widescreen and I the actual viewable area of big soccer is now shrunk down to the middle 10" of my screen or so. Its like looking at big soccer through a vertical, white letterbox, and its ugly. I just cant get over websites that cant program to use the users ENTIRE available screen space.

I like the user info that is available in the BIGSOCCER skin, and you already know I would like to have post counts back. That however, is the lowest on my wish list.

I also really dislike the changes in functionality between different skins. As was pointed out, its BigSoccer's brand too. Didn't BigSoccer's MLS forums exist well before any affiliation with MLSnet? If so, I would think you would have more say in at least how the other skins look, act, and function for the end user. I find it bothersome that it seems that there is a willingness here to accept a status quo. It also bothers me, that MLSnet would be so ironhanded as to not let the guys who started the site, have a say in how the other "skins" look, feel, act, work. Is that to say that any and all complaints/ suggestions that are made here on BigSoccer are falling on deaf ears because its just simply "out of your hands" now? IF that is the case, than can you please please please, direct us to who we can contact at MLSnet to air our concerns / complaints to? Perhaps if the folks at MLSnet get ENOUGH of a negative backlash, they will rethink things a bit, and either look to you as a guide to impliment the changes that the end users seem to want, or, they will make those changes themselves, or, better yet, let YOU make them, since you have been doing this for over a decade now.

I really honestly never thought I would see the day when the Washington Capitals message boards would be better than the ones here on BigSoccer, but for the moment, that is the case, at least for me. Ive been on thiers for 10 years now at least, and trust me, they have gone thru some terrible, terrible versions. I hope this is the case here, and its just a very temporary thing.

8. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love that. I use Trillian as well, and the ability to really customize the end user's experience is just one of the very appealing things about it. I hope that is a future possibility here. I think it would be great if the formatting was largely standardized, but WE, the END USERS could decide exactly how/ what we see in terms of colors, and functionality controls. If I wanted to see black background with red or gold text, and see each users post count, club...etc... I would be able to customize my own experience to that. That would be just dandy! Ok, fantasy is over. :p

9. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    they have addressed many questions but this question does not get answered.

10. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Listen, I am not a savy tech guy. I don't know what the hell all the people are talking about with skins and MLSNET stuff.

I don't really like the new design, but I can live with it.

There is one serious problem. I need the yellow to see this stuff. I am 28 and if my 20/20 vision has trouble, I don't want to know what it will do to me in a year.

So my question is: How can I get my yellow back or a different backdrop/wallpaper?

If Yellow is the taboo can you at least make all the font bold?

11. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Huss,

You just closed the thread asking for a "classic BigSoccer" skin...saying that "there's plenty of discussion in the feedback thread"....

Can you please answer us directly on this?

Can we have another skin more like the old BS with all the functionality or not?

So far the only answers from your side are to "just be patient and give the new look a chance."

I do not like the new look. I will not ever like the new look.

Please tell us if we can have another skin/look and what/when it will be. If you are planning on another skin/alternative for us please say so, so we can stop bugging you (and tell us when because we won't wait forever).

I've really appreciated BigSoccer and enjoyed the site for a while now. It'll hurt me to have to give it up, please don't make me do so.

12. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    For all those who are like me;

Just log on to mlsnet.com

and then go to community. It is no yellow nor like the old system, but it is at least legible and not destructive to the eyes.

I don't know if that is the intent, but that is the only way I will log on not.
    Cheers,
    T.

13. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    TBH, when I know you'll know. That being said, we have a history of being responsive, for 30 or 3000.

14. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. On the home page, it displays the start of each post. I'd prefer to only see the post subjects. The summaries take up more space than I'm interested in seeing -- especially if they include images.

I haven't yet found anything that controls that. I'd move to using rss... but I don't see a flag for that on the front page. Maybe I'm just not used to the new design yet and am overlooking it.

Any help?

(apologies if this has been brought up, but I'm not going through 20 pages of the old thread, and didn't see it in a skim of this thread.)

15. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    There is an RSS link at the top of every forum in the forums tab.

16. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Thank you for a response.

I can be patient for a while...

17. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ok Huss one question. Actually two.

One how can I get my yellow back?

Two if I can't get my yellow back, will I always have to go to MLSNET to view BS in a remotely legible font and backdrop?

Cheers,
    T.

18. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    The 365 skin is better, but it's a pain to have to log in every time to get it so my eyes won't hurt.

19. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Can't see the pictures posted on THIS PAGE :(

Using the Opera browser. Anybody know what the problem may be, or having simmilar problems?

20. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm sorry, i don't have the time to read through all the endless pages looking for this ...

But are we bringing back the "Recent Posts" function? that was my favorite function. it was a running database of every post being made, on any forum, even the NSR ones. please bring it back.... :)

pretty please?

21. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Not a skin question!!!!

A Private Message question. I often send out PM's to 4 or 5 people for ticket stuff at a time. I used to jut put the first 3 or 4 letters in and a list of names would come up and I could pick the right one. That hasn't worked since the change, which means it takes a fair bit longer to type all the usernames especially for the longer ones!!
    Just wanted to point this out and ask if it is a bug that you guy's are looking at or it isn't possible with the new set up. Cheers, other than that I like the new stuff. Looks sharper.

22. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    so nobody else misses the unread icon next to new posts in the threads?

23. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Huss, et. al.,

Thanks for your hard work bringing us these updates.

Sorry if I've missed this, but I didn't see it mentioned. Is the "My Profile" button at the top supposed replace the "My BigSoccer" link? I see that it has the same purpose, and am guessing as much.

I do miss being able to access the forums quickly from the MyBigSoccer page by going up to the top menu and accessing them. I suppose they're all still there in the drop-down menu at the bottom, though that's a little harder to navigate. Is there be any way to incorporate forum navigation back into the top of that page somehow?

And for those of you who are blinded by the new site... are you vampires? :eek:

24. Carne Leao

Carne Leao New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Having the same probelms using Opera.
    Anyone care to explain/help with this?

25. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

All the drop down stuff is now at the side of the page. You can get to anywhere very easily from there..........!!