Con't: New BigSoccer (Baobab) Feedback & Suggestions Thread

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, Jul 30, 2007.

1. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I do like the new mutiquote feature. If it was here before, I never noticed it.

Thanks for checking that out. I thought it might be some third party photo site that someone had linked to. I noticed that if you just hit cancel to the PW request, the forum did operate as normal.

I would be happy if you could at least make the BigSoccer skin look like the other skins in that the posts are devided more clearly, and there isnt 4 inches of blank white space on either side of a center column. Theres so much wasted realestate on my laptop monitor using the BigSoccer skin, its terrible. I dont like the other skins much because they don't give you near the amount of user information I like to have within each post.

2. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the office I use my browser in an Outlook window. In the old days, BigSoccer would adjust itself to the width of my window, but it's no longer doing that and the scrolling back and forth is really annoying.

Is this going to be fixed?

And are you going to provide some more work friendly skins?

Thanks.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Two pages to help explain this:

First, the usercp.
    Second, a list of threads in a forum.

I find the usercp much easier to read than the list of threads. That's because (to my eye, at least) it appears in comparison to the thread listing there are a few extra pixels of buffer above and below the forum names.

I think the same buffer should be applied to the thread listings. Right now the thread titles are too close together to read easily.

4. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    that penguins message board wasnt too great either.

to black and some parts were just as bad as here.

BS is nice cuz they have lots of functionality, but by far the main aspects of a forum are its readability. wide post spaces are benificial as well as a gret simplicity of a website.

As a forum geek, I go to many a forum.

These are simple, OT, has ads, but are very good as far location and simplicity.

I love simplicity in a forum

www.genmay.com
    - this is a good dark forum
    www.offtopic.com
    - this is a good light forum

5. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't agree more. All the issues I had with the new design were modified to my liking. These include bugs and some style changes, but they were minor and I wasn't demanding the old site back.

People need to calm down and realize there is no better soccer site than this. If the color white is that offensive and you just can't move on, feel free to start your own soccer message board and deal with all the headaches.

Back to bugs:
    When I go to the site, it doesn't show me as logged in. I have to click on the forums link and then click on my profile to see my subscribed threads. Is there a way for me to always start in the forums and it show me as logged in?

6. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    One other thing I'm noticing:

From the MLS skin, I can't find a direct link to the homepage. I have to go up to my browser and type in the URL. Every link that just says "BigSoccer" takes me to the forums.

7. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    In the mls skin there are only forums, and mlsnet.com.

8. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    And you can't add a link to the homepage? I only use the MLS skin because I can't handle the way the new BS one is designed, but it would still be nice to be able to use the homepage to view recent threads across all forums.

Why the sudden disconnect between BigSoccer and the MLS skin?

9. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    There has never been a link to the BS homepage from MLS. We provide MLS forums. We are not allowed to link to our homepage or store. We simply provide them forums. They control the colors and headers etc. They are protecting and developing their brand and site.

I'm not trying to be difficult. It's the deal we have with them.

10. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Having just gone back and rechecked a bug last night I have to say things are better but there is still too much white everywhere. Those saying this looks like 1998 I can't disagree. Especially with the text only buttons. Give them some color. I think it will also help to diminish the appearance that it's all white even if it's only some small bits of color. To break up the monotony.

The quote boxes need to be better distinguised from the other posts. More of a shade to it at least, or better yet some real color. I also think the name/av/stats next to each post would look better with the same shading or color that you give to the quote box.

Even if you go subtle with it, unless too subtle which is still very possible given the mostly white look, it will make it visually more appealing. Right now the monotony and plain look just makes it too boring and lessens desire to read for longer periods of time.

11. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I think a post in the FAQ thread might be in order to explain what is going on here.

When I use the MLS skin, am I not really on BigSoccer? Is BigSoccer linked to from MLS sites?

If I can't use BigSoccer pages from this skin, could you provide a similarly colored skin that is 100% BigSoccer to avoid all this confusion?

12. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huss, can you explain the following progression?

1. I log on after the changes, don't like the default BigSoccer skin, and change to the Wizards skin because it's closest to the skin I used to like (grey).

2. Under username and avatar, the Wizards skin displays post count and rep for a few days but NOT location or favorite club.

3. A day or two later, the post count and rep disappear; now the Wizards skin displays nothing under username and avatar.

Why did the Wizards skin display the post count and rep for a day or two and then they disappeared?

Why am I forced to use the default skin (which I strongly dislike) if I want to see users' locations and favorite clubs, one of my favorite aspects of the site?

PLEASE bring back the grey skin.

13. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, just found another thing I dislike about the default skin. Now, when I click on a username in a post, it takes me directly to that user's profile instead of giving me the drop down menu it used to (and that it still gives in the MLS skins.)

14. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the MLS skins aren't really BigSoccer anymore, I don't intend to use them. Therefore I'm begging you for a BigSoccer skin that does not have that vivid red. It looks nice but it's far too attention-grabbing.

Thanks.

15. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I really think, in the end, there shouldn't be one BigSoccer skin. There should be a default and then a few options. They should all look the same except for the color scheme and one of those color schemes must be a work friendly gray (or maybe a muted blue ... well, gray is best).

16. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. This is exactly what I'm asking for. I'm willing to give them some time to implement it but so far they haven't expressed a willingness to do it at all, which is mind-boggling since they did it before.

17. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are two forums I post on, both cycling related. The first one I really like the layout of, however, again, its mostly white. If it were a muted blue, as has been suggested, or grey, it would be alot easier on the eyes. This stark white background hurts my eyes to look at. It could be alittle darker, but It uses the WHOLE SCREEN, and plenty of user information is contained under each posters avatar.

www.cyclingfourms.com

This one is not nearly as nice looking, but its ok.

www.bikeforums.net I dont like how theres no post count there, and I do not like the all white background. Again, it hurts the eyes. I find DARK backgrounds with light text are far more easy on my eyes. That is the main thing I liked about the Penguins message boards.

Even the Caps message boards are now better than BigSoccer's.
    Washington Capitals Message Boards

The colors on the Caps boards are easier on the eyes, and they alternate between posts, from light blue, to a darker blue. It also uses the FULL SCREEN.

If anyone cares, im Trek_Rider_05 on both the bike forums, and Diehard_Caps_Fan on the Caps boards.

18. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also it would be nice if there was a bit of consistency in the flow of useability. EG on one skin, "My BigSoccer" is the former link that takes you to your subscribed stuff, PMs, rep messages, links to edit options, etc. On the other skin (BigSoccer?) you have to click on different wording to get to the same thing. That is confusing.

Also, on some skins, you can change skins with a drop down on the bottom of the page. On the other one (BigSoccer again?) you have to go in and click "Edit Options" to be able to change your skin, as far as I can tell? I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong. :D

I can respect MLS protecting their "brand" but you have a brand to protect, too, and right now the lines are getting too blurred and difficult for the users to digest.

But props for the continuous upgrades to this site, always trying to make things better. I am still feeling happy about the "New Posts" feature beign per thread. That upgrade was awesome.

19. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Actually, I like the text only buttons. I think they look great. I'm aware of the fact that good design and good usability aren't necessarily the same, but I can really see no problem with text only buttons there.

Personally, I also don't need further distinction beteen the posts, but if that's needed by a majority, I'd once more suggest to enclose [title, date, postcount...].

Alternatively, the posts could have alternating colors (like the threads do).

20. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I would also like to know what admis and users think of a possible transfer of the menu from the left to the right.

I think it would be great. It might sound counterintuitive at first to have the menu on the right, but if you think about it, it really isn't. People spend more time reading the posts than navigating the menu, so it would make sense to put the posts back into a place where they get the maximum attention. At least in my view.

ahm...I have another thing...I hardly even dare to say it...I have to admit that I would like to see the kicks on the regular forum view. Now before people jump up again, I definitely don't want them as big or as centered as they used to be (better not to have them at all). I've suggested this before and I'll do it again: how about an extra column on the very right of the forum view, right behind the "views" column. This could be titled "kicks" and just list regular numbers, no icons (just like the "views" or "replies" columns). Alternatively, just write something like "12 Kicks" at the same spot where it says "You've already voted." at the moment.

The reason why I'd like to have a column like this is because I definitely prefer the standart forum view to the "kick" view, but at the same time, seeing the amount of "kicks" a thread received might make me look into it, even though I wouldn't otherwise. I'm still not completely sold on the whole "Kicks" thing yet, but I'm willing to seriously try it. In the meantime, it would be helpful to see the kicks somewhere.

21. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess what I dislike most about the changes can be summed up in one word: inconsistency.

Before, it didn't matter whether I was using the yellow, grey, or an MLS skin. I could reliably depend on BigSoccer to function basically the same throughout.

Now, if I click on a username in a post:
    - if I'm using the default skin, it takes me to the user's profile page
    - if I'm using an MLS skin, it gives me the standard drop down menu

If I want to look at a user's public information:
    - if I'm using the default skin, I can see join date, post count, and favorite club on each post
    - if I'm using an MLS skin, I see none of that

If I want to give a user rep:
    - if I'm using the default skin, I can do it from the post
    - if I'm using an MLS skin, I am not sure how to do it :confused:

Basically, you've set it up for different users to have radically different experiences with BigSoccer depending on which skin they're using. I'm forced to accept positives and negatives no matter which skin I choose. You've taken away my user experience which was entirely comfortable and positive and made it uncomfortable and difficult.

Not sure what your motive was, but my $14.95 is probably going to stay in my wallet next time my subscription comes around if the status quo remains.

22. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Sorta and not really at the same time. We provide a service to MLS: branded forums. We do not provide them more than that and as we expand our services beyond forums they don't necessarily come along for the ride beyond the forums. Likewise, we provide them a "generic" (for lack of a better term) forum that they skin and wrap in their headers and footers. We don't control their color schemes, etc. So, no, you are not really on BigSoccer, if you catch the nuance of that statement. You are on MLSnet.

Sure. Because we were up for 30 straight hours on Friday night launching the site and then an additional 13 on Saturday making bug fixes and responding to the useful constructive criticism that some of you provided. We worked 2 hours Sunday morning and then took the day off to be with our families. By this time the site was pretty stable and looking pretty good. On Sunday night we worked again from 9-1, spending 2 hours making the last major set of tweaks to BigSoccer (which are still going on tonight, btw) and then moved to the lower priority items on our list, namely, starting work on our partner sites and partner skins. Before that, they weren't even looked at or tested.

It's just not standard web design and therefore, in our view, a bad idea.

I'm not touching that with a ten foot poll. One person said thanks when we removed them. :) We may do what you say, insert the kick number, small, in a less noticeable column. We have higher priorities now. That being said, stuff is being kicked left and right and the kicks tab is, for me, very useful.

23. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put the MyBigsoccer link back at the top of the HomePage, it's buried at the bottom.

Put the Homepage link back at the top of every other forum page, it's buried at the bottom.

Give us back bigsoccer live and recent news,the sort by date option is NOT the same.

Why do you request feedback,and ignore 3 days of people asking for the yellow or other color backround back?? The white is hideous and really hard on the eyes of us posters who are no longer teenagers.......

Where is team info and locale??

Edit: it's still slow as hell,it took two minutes to post this "quick" reply.

24. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It is.

It is.

It is, actually.

We have listened to a lot, actually.

25. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Maybe I wasn't being clear.

I mean when I make these words right here a /url link in BigSoccer code, in the old BigSoccer Yellow skin you could see that the text was a link to an article, picture or website. The only way you can tell that in the DCU skin is to scroll over it with your cursor and it turns red.

If it's the skin, and the skin is mandated by MLS, please let me know whom to contact to see if they can do something about changing the color scheme. It is darn impossible to tell (like in Knave's post above) that there are two links in his post. I'm not too thrilled about the new BigSoccer skin, and not too thrilled about the site in general in recent months.

P.S. if you roll over the words "these words right here" above, and you are in a different skin, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Thx,

Jay!