Conor O'Brien at Horsens

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ForZaAaB, Aug 8, 2010.

1. ForZaAaB

ForZaAaB Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK
    Bucknell Bio: Conor O'Brien

According to bold.dk he is joining Blokhus FC

O’Brien is attending an educational programme in Denmark and the 21 year old yank will be playing for Blokhus FC while he is in Denmark. There are still some paperwork left, but the head coach at Blokhus FC thinks O’Brien will become an important player this season.

“He is a creative and technically gifted player with good vision. I am sure he will deliver some great assists and possibly some goals as well” head coach Søren Kusk commented.

O’Brien commented that he wants to play at the highest level that his ability will allow him to play at. He has ambitions to break into “the super liga”. If he plays well, I am sure the AaB scouts will pick up on it ;)

About Blokhus FC

Official Homepage (in Danish) His player profile has not been added yet (8/8-10)

Blokhus FC is a minor club playing in second divison west, the club is based in Pandrup (35 km northwest of Aalborg) . Their homegames are played at Jetsmark stadium (capacity 6000). Currently two AaB youngsters (Simon Enevoldesen and Mads Severinsen) are at Blokhus FC on loan deals. Additionally the roster has another six former AaB players/youngsters.

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Re: Conor O’Brien at Blokhus FC (Denmark)

[​IMG]

Oy, vey, I hoit my blokhus.

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

How come the photo of Krusty the Clown was changed?

Some sort of a program?

5. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. ForZaAaB

ForZaAaB Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK

Conor has played 11 games and scored 3 goals so far... Blokhus are currently at the top of 2. div. west. Most recently they made a great comeback from being down 1-3 to winning 4-3.

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

So, if the standings hold through June, they get promoted?

8. ForZaAaB

ForZaAaB Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK

Yes - However, I don't know what Conor's plans are or what type of contract he is on.

9. ForZaAaB

ForZaAaB Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK

I had hoped to gain a little info on Conor today; AaB II had arranged a friendly with Blokhus, but the game has been cancelled due to snowfall.

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

Wimps.

11. mattie g

mattie g Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Northern VA

As a fellow Bucknell alum and lover of all things American soccer, it's good to hear Conor's doing well. Hard-working, smart kid by all accounts, who can hopefully make a decent career for himself before inevitably moving to New York to work in the financial sector (as so many Bucknellians have a tendency to do!).

12. ForZaAaB

ForZaAaB Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK

Conor has been given a tryout at SønderjyskE (Super League Club) - Let's hope he does well!

13. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
  14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

Heavy legs: 'Wolves' lost 0-2 to Sonderjysk

The hefty training schedule told on the 'Wolves' by Wednesday evening. In the first true pre-season test, trainer Felix Magath’s men were beaten 0-2 (0-1) by Danish first division side Sonderjysk Elitesport. In front a crowd of 1,300, Björn Paulsen opened the scoring in the 42nd minute with a stunning strike. In the 69th minute, Kenneth Fabricius made it 2-0 for the hosts. It was the ‘Wolves’ firth defeat in their third pre-season outing.

Felix Magath: "There are of course some aspects that I am not happy about but considering the point in time in our summer preparations, not a lot could really be expected. For that reason, I am not really so surprised. It was clear to see that we are not so well drilled at the moment as a team, which is something we will have to work on in the coming weeks. Positive for me today were Mario Mandzukic, Srdjan Lakic and in the second half Makoto Hasebe and Koo Ja-Cheol, who did well up front."

Patrick Ochs: "I think you could see what we were trying to do. We had a couple of good chances - especially the second half wasn’t so bad – but we already had two training sessions behind us today and I think that became apparent."

The 'Wolves' next pre-season friendly will take place at 5pm on Sunday, July 3rd against Hamburger SV in Flensburg.

The game at a glance:

VfL 1st half: Lenz – Schulze, Kjaer, Thoelke, Schäfer – Polak – Cigerci, Dejagah – Kahlenberg – Scheidhauer, Mandzukic

VfL 2nd half: Hitz – Pekarik, Riether, Madlung, Hartherz – Josué – Ochs, Hasebe – Helmes – Koo, Lakic
    Goals: 0-1 Paulsen (42’), 0-2 Fabricius (69’)

15. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

On the subject of Conor, here's an article about him from a couple weeks ago:
    http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=7909
    At the time he was still mulling over a contract offer from Blokhus (who did win promotion to the First Division, although still a division below SønderjyskE), but was generally interested in looking around Denmark to see what was available. He definitely did well enough at Blokhus to open a few eyes around the upper divisions.

I suspect whatever pre-existing connection there was to Vejle disappeared when they changed a lot of people in their sporting department towards the end of the season.

16. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Besides Conor O’Brien, SønderjyskE have had Zimbabwean attacking midfielder Clement Matawu, Czech Republic right back/winger Josef Laštovka, Danish defensive midfielder Jonas Damborg, Senegalese striker Mohamed Soly and Danish and French defenders Martin Pedersen and Kebba Jobarth on trial the past few weeks, but now all but 3 of the 7 trialists have been sent home...

The 3 who apparently made a good impression against Wolfsburg and get to stay a bit longer to play the next pre-season match against VB kolding (formerly known as Vejle BK) before it will be decided if they actually get a contract, are Martin Pedersen, Josef Laštovka and Conor O'Brien.

http://www.bold.dk/nyt/SoenderjyskE-afviser-fire-proevespillere

17. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

...and there we are... it is now almost as good as a fact, that SønderjyskE are going to sign Conor O’Brien, who impressed when SønderjyskE beat Wolfsburg some days ago. O’Brien could seem to be the replacement for the now former SønderjyskE captain Ólafur Skúlason who has been soldt to Zulte Waregem this summer.

http://www.bold.dk/nyt/Avis-SoenderjyskE-skriver-med-amerikaner

18. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
  19. ForZaAaB

ForZaAaB Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK

This is great :D, I have been following O'Brien since he joined Blokhus... he is a really great technical player, a stay with SønderjyskE is sure to improve his physical ability.

20. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008

Over SønderjyskE: Conor O'Brien in Denmark

21. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

I haven't really heard of this guy, could someone tell me his style of play? I'm excited that he's in a first division side now! :)

22. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would also to like to know how O'brien plays.

He was signed after 1 trial game, as well?

23. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008

What kind of bizarro soccer world is it when a European poster is calling one of our YAs ''a great technical player that needs to improve his physical ability'?

Also, what is it about Americans named O'Brien who wind up as great technical players? Looks to me like we should force every young soccer prospect in America to change their name to O'Brien pronto.

Pretty stoked about this dude.

1 person likes this.
  24. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

...and he was the only one they signed out of 7 trialists.

25. ForZaAaB

ForZaAaB Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK

Conor's work permit has not been processed by the Danish authorities yet, so it looks like he won't be playing for SønderjyskE against FC Copenhagen :mad:

[​IMG]