conor casey

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by m vann, Sep 15, 2002.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all the new signings at Hannover, will CC be the odd one out when he gets back from injury? Could this be the end for him Hannover? Maybe a move to MLS would do him some good like it has for Twellman.

2. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    with the success he had playing 1st team with hannover i dont think he will leave, he might not get the time he origianlly thought but he is highly regarded right now and i dont think mls would even be a thought...twellman was stuck playing for...wait i dont think he ever played except in like the 4th division reserve team...

3. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    It's a long, long season. Patience.

4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you're right because with his talent he deserves a fair shot, but for some reason I have a feeling he'll be left on the bench.

5. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Being on the bench is not the same as not receiving a fair shot. Hannover went to Dortmund and asked to extend the loan, before they went out and bought all these players. True Casey has more competition, but I'm sure he figured into their plans from the start.

Sachin

6. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    His position definitely got worse. The only one purchased for his position is Fredi Bobic. Though lots doubt his abilities, I still think he's a top striker and better than some forwards of the German national team. Conor would have had good chances if he only had to fight against Blaise N'Kufo. They were soon unsatisfied with N'Kufo and meanwhile he's even on the tribune. The problem also is that Daniel Stendel was moved to the bench and as every coach likes him he's the first alternative if a striker is substituted. Probably he'll make the bench, but he needs an injury or a suspension of a team mate to get a real chance.

Another scenario could be that they fire coach Rangnick. That's rather improbable at the moment as I think they'll recover soon and climb the ranking to a midfield spot. But fact also is that he's criticised as all his pre-season transfers before the season were quite crap except Stajner who was too expensive. All five new transfers were done by the GM without coach influence.

7. Eisern Union

Eisern Union New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Berlin
    Given the commitment shown by Hannover to Casey in the past (getting the loan extension), I'm sure he'll be given a chance to earn a spot on the team, which is about all he can really ask for.

8. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    No. First sign of adversity. Don't try. Don't give it yoiur best. Assume you won't be good enough. Pack up. Time to come home

Geez, no wonder the Germans think we're wimps, if the players are anything like the posters on these boards.

9. Barca_Fan2003

Barca_Fan2003 New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Slidell, LA
    They've had trouble scoring goals all season long. If Casey is healthy, he's bound to be given a chance.

10. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Their strikers are Idrissou and Bobic at the moment. Their stats are: Idrissou two goals in three games, Bobic two goals in two games. Not really a weak point at the moment

11. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Didn't see this short note yet:

Conor Casey resumed the team training and will get playing time in a friendly against D4 team SC Langenhagen on Wednesday.

12. wasdykec

wasdykec Member

May 6, 2002
    Jax, Florida
    for those of you that can speak german, you should check out www.das-fanmagazin.de, its the hannover 96 fan site. they have news and stuff, and an icq list that you can talk to other hannover fans with, would help to practice the german and find out some good news about the two boys over there.

13. wasdykec

wasdykec Member

May 6, 2002
    Jax, Florida
  14. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    That is quite an improvement from what I saw from them the first two weeks (I haven't managed to catch them on FSW again), they were quite toothless up front. they had a mid who was just shredding the other squads with runs but there was little determination up front.

if i am not mistaken, casey had a very strong run as a sub last year, he seemed to be very effective in that role. i would imagine given this current production by Bobic and Idrissou that is likely the role he can win. as our moderator points out, it is a long campaign, i am sure he'll get plenty of time over its course.

i have to say, i am not sure how joining an MLS team and going on winter break is going to be helpful to a guy coming off injury.

15. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    They suffered under lacking playing and lacking scoring ability of center Blaise N'kufo (who is a mere counter attacking forward), that's right.

Possible, it mainly depends on Casey himself. Currently Stendel is having the no 1 joker role, but if a dangerous center is needed Conor should be the first backup.

He won't go to MLS, that's for sure. If Hannover doesn't want to have him, then the coach of Dortmund Ama would love to have him back.

16. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Yes, great site, i always read there when i need to puke.

[sorry, i always try to avoid threads where Eintracht Braunschweig's arch rival is mentioned, but this time i couldn't resist. That someone recommends "Das Fanmagazin" was simply to much for me. ;) ]

17. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Casey went full 90 in a 0-0 friendly vs D4 team SC Langenhagen (Cherundolo DNP). If coach Rangnick wants to, he's available for the bench next weekend.

18. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Thanks for the news olaf. That sounds good and heopfully he can now work his way into some playing time.