PBP: Conor Casey Era #19 - Rapids visit Fake Salt Lake Sat. August 24 - 8pm MST

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by AlbertCamus, Aug 22, 2019.

1. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bodmer Line: 16/7 = 2.286 PPG (points needed to snag last playoff spot at 43 point average divided by games remaining). Going, going . . .

Kroenke Line: no longer in play. (maximum points that can be earned to win the average Wooden Spoon at just over 26 points).

Hudson Line: = no longer in play, measuring the PPG needed to become the worst team in MLS history. The record is 16 points, still held by D.C. United (3-24-7 in 2013). All teams are over 16 points now.

Rapids: 7-14-6, with 27 points in 27 matches = 1.000 PPG, on pace for 34 points for the season, after completing the worst first third of a season (2 points) in MLS history.

Rapids: surrendering 2.000 goals per match (54 goals in 27 matches) on pace to surrender 68.0 goals for the season. The current MLS record is 74 goals allowed (Orlando City, 2018). The Rapids would have to surrender 3.000 goals per match the rest of the season (21 goals in 7 games) to be the worst defensive team in MLS history.

Coaching comparison:
    Hudson: 0-7-2, 2 points, 0.181 PPG in 9 matches. 12 GF (1.333 avg), 24 GA (2.667 avg), Diff = -12
    Casey: 7-7-4, 25 points, 1.389 PPG in 18 matches. 31 GF (1.722 avg), 30 GA (1.667 avg), Diff = +1

Never forget: Hudson’s all-time Rapids MLS regular season record: 43 matches as head coach, 8-26-9 record, 0.767 PPG; 48 GF (1.116 avg), 87 GA (2.023 avg), -39 differential.

Stuart95, TheWarmBurger and JasonMa repped this.
  2. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Story line for 2019:
    • First third of the season: The Rapids are the worst team in league history.
    • Rest of the season: The Rapids are awful, but not as awful as before.

COMtnGuy, SccrDon, AlbertCamus and 2 others repped this.
  3. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I have never understood what constitutes handling, I do not currently understand what constitutes handling, I never will understand what constitutes handling.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Paranoid Coyote and fortcollins repped this.
  5. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last team above the playoff line in the west is on pace for over 48 points. To reach 49 points this season, the Rapids would need 22 points in the next 7 matches. That's slightly over Pi points per match. Is that a problem? :whistling:

Sports Yak and JasonMa repped this.
  6. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonight might as well count as two losses. When Abubakar and Kamara got the stupids and were penned for the next match, the New Jersey Pink Cows probably landed a bye week over whatever the Rapids can field as an XI.

COMtnGuy, Rod1916 and Andy126 repped this.
  7. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    #57 Andy126, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Watched the game on tape delay so posting without reading any other posts. Takeaways....

That game SUCKED....

Played a strong first half without converting. How often does that come back to haunt you in sports?

Kamara, even prior to the red card, did not have a great game. As much as he has been critical this year, he had a poor night. Poor touches. Errant shots. Poor passes. Just wasn’t there all night.

Kellyn Acosta was continually, noticeably, bad. It went beyond just simply “not having an impact.” Poor touch after poor touch. Errant pass after errant pass. Acosta was where the misfield went to die tonight. And it was clearly apparent.

But honestly, the worst night of all was Connor Casey. RSL had clearly adjusted by the 2nd half and we had zero answer. First sub at the 75th minute after spending the entire 2nd half on our back heel is indefensible.

Mezquida for Rubio in the 75th......for our hottest goal scorer? Really?

Lewis NEVER sees the field? REALLY?

My simple takeaway from this game is, honestly. What.The.Hell?

Good luck convincing me to renew season tickets next year. Hard pass.

SccrDon, Rod1916, fortcollins and 2 others repped this.
  8. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    #58 Andy126, Aug 25, 2019
    Hahah. Wow. Have been out of the country. Just read the announcement about Fraser right after posting my game recap immediately after watching the game and posting.

Glad to at least have some closure in that regard.

Casey “out kicked the coverage.” Far exceeded expectations and did an amazing job.

Here’s to what is hopefully the next right step.

fortcollins and JasonMa repped this.
  9. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I’ve only got two things to say about this match:

This game sucked.

I’m tired of losing to Salt Lake.

This has been a very Rapids year.

10. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #60 Paranoid Coyote, Aug 25, 2019
    It's not only a problem, it's irrational.

11. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    It is what the Center says it is, same as it ever was. VAR is almost always going to back up him or her as well unless they just can't after seeing all the angles. Centers and VARS etc. have extensive training but in many cases it is still subjective -- many would not have given this one due to the deflection, this one did and VAR may have even thought it was an error but just not an "obvious" one.

JasonMa repped this.
  12. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    The real problem with averaging just over 3 points per game is we will never get any "good behavior" bonus points.

fortcollins and JasonMa repped this.
  13. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    New coach help? Just announced Robin Fraser from TLC. I had never heard of him either, but I just updated his Wikipedia page.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You had never heard of Robin Fraser?!?

15. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Early morning flight ... so do I go back and watch the replay?

16. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. A thousand times no. We like you too much. Subjecting you to a replay of last night would probably violate the United Nations Convention Against Torture. Do something much less painful, like a do-it-yourself root canal or juggling rattlesnakes or surfing a fast-moving lava flow.

Stuart95 repped this.
  17. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The only thing I can think of to do in SLC is to catch a flight to Colorado....

Centennial, wormhole and JasonMa repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talking to the ref forum about the Abubakar hand ball:

SccrDon and Dom. FC repped this.
  19. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I respect Massref's opinions but I'm wondering if he has even seen the play -- reading his take w/o having seen it would leave a mental image of Lalas in a scarecrow position, and he also implies he is inside the player's mind 'knowing' his intent in having his elbow flexed a bit. I would still say as I already did that VAR (and me, and others) may not have agreed with the call but can't get all the way to "obvious" error. At least the deflection nulled any claim of DOGSO as the thigh or whatever non-hand/arm bodypart it hit first denied the/any chance on goal.

20. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it next year where the rules changes to regardless of position if ball hits Hand/Arm its a Handball?

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  22. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    #72 GreatGonzo, Aug 27, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    He has seen the play, but I disagree with his description of it being unnatural. Abubakar's arm is actually still at his side at the moment the ball is struck, though it is going up, which makes sense from a balance perspective considering he was coming to a stop from his run.

But again - I've never really understood the rule since it's been so inconsistently applied and I don't think I ever will, so I'm probably not the best person to listen to on this front. ;)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and in this case, just slightly biased, so definitely not the best person to listen to.

23. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Oh yeah, Balboa's comment there was infuriating. That's not the rule change.

SccrDon, COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  24. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Maybe a good tactic will be to boot the ball at defenders that are in the box aiming for their hands and arms. Soccer Dodgeball!!!
    [emoji33]

AlbertCamus and COMtnGuy repped this.
  25. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Seriously, I was wondering if you could do that. Just aim for the hands and arms.