PBP: Conor Casey Era #18 - Rapids visit the Dynamo Saturday August 17 - 7pm MST

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by TheWarmBurger, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I really think the new coach needs to gut the defense

2. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They look sluggish and disoriented. That goal was on the midfield. The turnover and failure to track back gave Houston the look.

3. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Looks like our lack of quality has woken up all 2000 spectators.

COMtnGuy, fortcollins and Dom. FC repped this.
  4. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston's up to 24 shots.

5. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF? stepped away from the screen for a few minutes and ????

Centennial repped this.
  6. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids lose, 2-2.

Centennial, Paranoid Coyote and Dom. FC repped this.
  7. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    A total freakin disaster!!!

Barf!!!

8. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Centennial, fortcollins and Dom. FC repped this.
  9. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Ugh. They were awful in the first half. We were awful in the second. A fair result. Painful, but fair.

Vines was awful as usual. Abu cleared a lot of crosses. Rubio easily MOM. Lewis is my most frustrating player. Talented, but not as good as a mediocre Shinyashika.

Totoro repped this.
  10. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    They got a point, we got a point -- and no one should ever speak of it again.

#RapidsWay

11. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bodmer Line: 16/8 = 2.000 PPG (points needed to snag last playoff spot at 43 point average divided by games remaining). Going, going . . .

Kroenke Line: no longer in play. (maximum points that can be earned to win the average Wooden Spoon at just over 26 points).

Hudson Line: = no longer in play, measuring the PPG needed to become the worst team in MLS history. The record is 16 points, still held by D.C. United (3-24-7 in 2013). All teams are over 16 points now.

Rapids: 7-13-6, with 27 points in 26 matches = 1.038 PPG, on pace for 35.3 points for the season, after completing the worst first third of a season (2 points) in MLS history.

Rapids: surrendering 2.000 goals per match (52 goals in 26 matches) on pace to surrender 68.0 goals for the season. The current MLS record is 74 goals allowed (Orlando City, 2018). The Rapids would have to surrender 2.556 goals per match the rest of the season (23 goals in 8 games) to be the worst defensive team in MLS history.

Coaching comparison:
    Hudson: 0-7-2, 2 points, 0.181 PPG in 9 matches. 12 GF (1.333 avg), 24 GA (2.667 avg), Diff = -12
    Casey: 7-6-4, 25 points, 1.471 PPG in 17 matches. 31 GF (1.823 avg), 28 GA (1.647 avg), Diff = +3

Lest we ever forget: Hudson’s all-time Rapids MLS regular season record: 43 matches as head coach, 8-26-9 record, 0.767 PPG; 48 GF (1.116 avg), 87 GA (2.023 avg), -39 differential.

Stuart95, Riccardo55 and AlbertCamus repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Silver lining is that Kamara and Abubakar avoided yellows, so we're clear of suspensions for the RMC next week.

Casey's PPG is now just barely above last year's Bodmer Line but has some breathing room this year due to the extra playoff spot.

13. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    They got tired and stopped moving. I'd ask where the subs were but Rapids don't seem to sub. That does seem like the one consistent aspect across all the coaches.

14. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Watched on delay. It was better than the Loons game Wednesday. I don't care about results anymore, just entertain me (except in the RSL and Seattle games- win those). Game was entertaining. I like the Houston band; MLS needs a team in New Orleans, I'd bet a team there would have an excellent band.

We are much better with Price, although I'm not entirely sure why. Kamara needs to get some goals so we can keep him next year. Acosta is getting better. Rubio, we need to keep him for next season. Houston are not a good team.

15. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I think tonight could best be described as “Defenses win championships - but tonight they gave up easy goals.”

It really was a poor showing by both defenses tonight. That’s about it. We looked completely gassed and exposed on both of Houston’s goals.

Had Nicholson put away both of his breakaways that he hit straight into Houston’s goalkeeper it would be a different story I’m sure. But hey, the rapids give, and the rapids take away.

A point on the road on a tough stretch of matches and in tough weather ain’t necessarily a bad thing - and something we used to never expect to happen. I do believe we are averaging a point per game in away matches under Casey right now.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  16. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Who was supposed to be the left back this year, Wynne?

This roster seems really thin. Wilson has to cover centerback and d-mid. no one else really gets chances at either position. What's the deal with Rwatubyaye, he's apparently taking an international slot, has he been loaned out? Has he even made a gameday roster?

17. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So watched on replay as was at the B-52 concert.....

Good: Point on the road, scored, did not lose. Looked good in stretches.

Bad: Poor technical offside backline play on first allowed goal, (left back had it all in front of him), sloppy marking for second goal.

Comment: We take in stride all the high altitude advantage, but forget Houston, "The Oven", is also difficult later in the game. In retrospect, we did NOT sub well to get in fresh defensive legs with a 2 goal lead on the road in hostile heat....... Maybe with the water break....I did not see Casey's comment, if he made one. This was the lost chance to finish in a playoff race, as 1-1-0 in the four game road trip beats 0-1-1 by a lot.

AlbertCamus and Sports Yak repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The impression I got was that they were going to take their lumps with Vines this year, knowing he wouldn't be perfect but deciding the long-term advantages outweighed the short-term drawbacks.

He was loaned to the Springs pretty much as soon as he got here, so he's not taking one of our international spots while he's down there. Looks like he's started 15 games for them.

Totoro and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  19. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed

Although he wasn't really impressive in the chances he did get, I'd like to see more of Opare.

Seen him play a couple of times for the Switchbacks. He's a pretty good USL CB, and he's young yet, so maybe he'll develop, although I haven't seen anything that screams "Future MLS starter" yet.

20. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that in Teal'c's voice.

I need help.

JasonMa repped this.