Conmebol U-17 Qualifiers

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by jagum, Feb 24, 2018.

1. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    And Brazil celebrated yesterday, because they will qualify to the WC by drawing against Venezuela... regardless of the Colombia-Uruguay match.

Four-way tie with 3 points. Their goal differentials: Colombia +1, Brazil 0, Venezuela 0, Uruguay -1.

Brazil leads Venezuela on Fair Play score. Tournament statutes indicate that Fair Play score is the 4th criterion for WC qualification. 5th criterion is a luck draw.

Apparently, Conmebol deleted links to the "Sudamericano Sub-17 2018" rulebook. (doc link within, now dead: http://www.conmebol.com/es/sudamericano-femenino-sub-17-del-7-al-25-de-marzo)

Rulebook still available on the Argentinian federation portal:
    http://www.afa.org.ar/9140/sudamericano-sub-17

Waiting to see whether Venezuela's Capdevilla can play. Her right hand was injured after Uruguay's Ferradans stepped on it, some seconds after Venezuela's 1st goal.

blissett repped this.
  2. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    First game
    Brazil 3 - Venezuela 0

Brazil qualifies for U-17 WWC.

Uruguay vs. Colombia underway. Uruguay would need to beat Colombia by 5 goals for Venezuela to qualify.

blissett repped this.
  3. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    '36 Colombia 0-0 Uruguay ....
    I do not think a miracle happens. Vintotinto girls are out

4. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Uruguay needs 4 goals over its rival to become champion, Colombia needs 2. Priorities.

Brazil beat Venezuela fair and square, and became champion in the process.

Cheers to both Colombia and Brazil. Godspeed to them at the U17 World Cup.

I do not think Uruguay will get far, unfortunately.

blissett repped this.
  5. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Uruguay 1 - Colombia 1

bigsoccertst1 and blissett repped this.
  6. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    An ugly side of Conmebol qualifiers that I would like to do away with.

I am biased. But football violence comes up rather frequently during final matches, particularly if an Argentinian or Uruguayan side does not achieve a desired outcome.

Yesterday's match against Colombia was not an exception. An ambulance was called in after the fight was over.
    Nasty fouls intensified after Colombia tied. The logic behind this tactic is to get opponents expelled from the WC, since you cannot beat them at the Qualifier level.

I doubt Conmebol will show commitment against violence in youth football. Proper action will require banning certain Colombian+Uruguayan players from the U17 WC.
    Indeed, bad publicity for 1st U17 WC hosted in South America, by one of the perpetrators.

Post-game violence after timestamp 2h04m40s on video:

Venezuela ended up with the Fair Play Team Award, after the Uruguay-Colombia brawl.

7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    How sad and shameful! :(

If I think I started following women's football instead of men's football especially because of fair-play and respect I was seeing on the pitch, and because of that completely different feeling from men's games that I could sense. :unsure:

These players discredited and put to shame all women's football! They should feel ashamed of themselves and apologize to all of women's football fans in the world. :devilish:

8. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    I would apply FIFA statutes, no hesitation. No need for apologies via social networks or TV cameras. If left unchecked, this behavior will reoccur when those players graduate onto U20 squads.

Conmebol will not punish Uruguay, because there is cultural problem in South American football where violence must be accepted as a proper avenue for winning.
    Look at the affection showed by organizers during award ceremony. Warmer salutations for Uruguayan players.

I suspect this sort of dynamics exists outside of Conmebol: a couple of FAs hold executive power over the rest, looking the other way if certain teams misbehave during Qualifiers.

We should not mistake innocence for gender. Violent players must be held accountable, regardless of gender.

Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sorry I am not familiar with the "FA" acronym. Which other part of the world are you referring to?

I agree that FIFA should stand in! Strongly! :devilish:

10. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    FA = Football Association = national federation
    In Conmebol, we have power dynamics where certain federations override others.

It is so because money is at stake. Although, not directly in women's football.

In 2018, Argentina hosted U17 Qualifiers. Uruguay hosts a U17 World Cup. Both federations need all the good publicity they can get.

Their final objective is to host the 2030 Men's WC. FIFA will soon decide who gets the 2030 Men's WC.

Regarding my suspicion of similar power dynamics within AFC/CAF/OFC/UEFA is based on knowledge about human nature.

Certain groups like to rule over others, primarily when there is money to be made.

blissett repped this.
  11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I agree about human nature, but I swear I've never seen such behaviours on a women's football pitch anywhere else in the world before, in the 7+ years I follow women's football.

Maybe, it's also because, despite human nature, hopefully, as you were mentioning, there is currently not enough money around women's football to justify such behaviours.

By the way, I am aware that all of these women in the world would deserve more money so they can actually make a living out of football, but frankly, from a supporter perspective, I have to admit I prefer the semi-professional nature of women's football. It kinda guarantees that is doesn't become a carbon copy of men's football and its habits.

bigsoccertst1 repped this.
  12. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    I do strongly agree.

This cultural problem needs solving. Partially cuz of things that blissett mentioned. WoSo worldwide prouds itself in general by beeing free of trash parts seen often in men's game. It's quite vital part of it's appeal. But whats of more importance here - in future those young, talented and promissing players, ultimately poorly coached players, may not be given a chance to play pro ball just because of that issue.
    I do remember in U-20 WWC 2016 when after a whistle and out throw awarded for Japan frustraded Geyse kicked without a ball Sumida. Look on Sumida's face - total disbelief of what happend. Geyse's now playing in Spanish league, so in a way she made it, and maybe with better coaching there she will get straight on her issues. But many will not be so lucky and that's why CONMEBOL should push for changes.

blissett and bigsoccertst1 repped this.
  13. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    @blissett

Good to hear this, because I expected at least one similar incident outside of Conmebol. Not a violent incident itself, but similar inaction from organizers after player misbehavior.

Investment in Conmebol women's football is rather poor. Perhaps several players were unaware that their actions would end on HD video, partly because they are used to lacking live coverage.

Whenever Brazilian and Uruguayan sides compete for 1st place, things heat up. Several fans rationalize violence in defense of football pedigree: "Uruguay, birthplace of South American football", "Brazil, heir and present keeper of South American football", and other silly titles.

I like Uruguay's philosophy and passion for football. However, we cannot ignore violence because of some tall tale of regional rivalry. Due punishment is needed because violence is already here.

Higher salaries will be a small incentive for violence. It is outweighed by multiple benefits:
    - respected labor in sports.
    - more career options for youth as: player, coach, medic, trainer, agent, executive.
    - future player generations will not be a "what if".
    - gender independence.
    - food on the table for players' families. Future player offspring entering the sport.
    - change in social perspective, as gender myths are disproved and inherent prejudice is exposed, perhaps even eradicated.

Change is coming. Respect for the rule of law should be one foundation.

blissett and Lechus7 repped this.
  14. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Quick remnder ;)
    Cyprus Cup this year Korea DPR - Switzerland. The brawl finally didn't started only cuz of quick reaction by the refs and a few less hot headed players on both sides. We talkin grown women's here not U-17's ;)

blissett repped this.
  15. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    @Lechus7 , any case where a powerful federation in AFC applied its overriding power against a smaller federation?

In Conmebol, there is a higher probability that Colombian players will be sanctioned, in comparison to Uruguayan players... due to power dynamics where Uruguay has better friends at the confederation level, than Colombia does.

16. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    I can't say really, don't follow Asian football that close. But I get your sentiment and it's true; standarts or places may differ but general mechanics remain the same.
    Remember London 2012? Controversial semi final USA - Canada? Ref. Pedersen (Norway) was not selected to referee at any major international competition since the incident in that game. Same tourney USA - Japan final match - ref. Stenhaus (Germany) didn't call 2 obvious PK' - basically cost Japan gold medal. She still here. Germany has more "voice" in UEFA that Norway. ;)

bigsoccertst1, jagum and blissett repped this.
  17. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    On those cases, Steinhaus had a big profile and a lot of credit, so got away with it.
    The semi-final game got also much much more media attention due to the nature of the controversial USA equaliser : indirect free-kick for the 6 second rule + penalty for a non-handball accordign to the LOTG given. And a lot of protest from Canada that ended up with players being suspended.

18. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    In other words Sinclair got suspended for 4 matches for talking back to FIFA but ultimatelly Pedersen was forced out of international football. Steinhaus though, groomed for poster woman by UEFA only saw a finger wave.
    I won't argue which game had more media attention but outrage on Steihaus actions was huge in asian media alone. London 2012 wasn't AFC backyard though it was UEFA's and they so to speak sacrificed one to save another ;)

19. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43541818
    We will see how this gonna end..