Conmebol afraid of brazilian domination

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by sidis, Jan 30, 2007.

1. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    grêmio is in better momment, but santos is the better team in the semis.

by merit, the final should be grêmio x santos.

2. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    haha no way Santos would have beaten Cucuta... and Boca-gremio would be an interstin match to bad taht comenbol are haters...

Cucuta beat gremio and tied them in group phase... so think they can do it again... tho Boca is a challenge and to me the team to beat

santos depends to much on ze roberto...

3. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    The rule was created before the tournament after seeing the latest editions with all-brazilian finals and after seeing the Copa Sudamericana being won by a mexican team.

Agree it's a dumb stupid rule.

4. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    actually the rule was changed after the rule be only mexican teams cannot play a final (and it's is almost impossible).

santos have the better team in brazil now, a great coach, marcos aurério and pedrinho playng very good, and the very regular rodrigo souto.

cucuta have no chance against santos, and gremio could win boca, even with Tuta.

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I don't know about the merits of the rule, but it sucks for Boca. Trying to keep up with San Lorenzo in Argentina and to also win Libertadores, it would be have been so much better to make the short trip to Porto Alegre than to have to go all the way to some small town in Colombia.

This has nothing to do with the relative strenghts of the clubs. Obviously anybody who got this far is going to be tough to beat, and if you expect to win the title it shouldn't matter who you play. But from a logistical standpoint, playing so many games in such a short time, it would have been so much better to face Gremio.

Oh well, Cucuta-Boca should be fun.

6. colombo

colombo Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Boca won't have any excuse though. Cucuta played in Montevideo on tuesday, then payed Millonarios at 2600 mts in Bogota on Thursday and played Millonarios again in Cucuta Today trying to win the the first spot for the finals of the championship also in Colombia.

They are not complainting

Let see....

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My post had nothing to do with complaining or making excuses. Nobody is complaining, there is no reason to complain. I am aware that Cucuta is also fighting on both fronts, and because of the way the Colombian championships are set up their schedulle is even tighter than Boca's.

I was just pointing out something that is rather obvious. When you are fighting for two titles and playing lots of games, the less travel you have to do, the better off you are.

After a tough group in terms of travel, with games in Cuzco, Toluca and La Paz, Boca was very fortunate to draw Velez and then Libertad. So, playing Gremio, as the original brackets were designed, would have also been nice.

And for more than one reason. Not only Porto Alegre is close, but playing a Brazilian team is always a special treat. That is why I said it sucks that they changed the brackets for a stupid rule, that's all.

But I'm cool with Boca vs Cucuta. It will be awesome. I'm very impressed with the way Cucuta is playing, so I expect we'll get two exciting matches.

And I expect Boca to advance.