Congresswoman shot in Arizona

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Deep Wilcox, Jan 8, 2011.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'd say it is likely.

If (speculating now) it turns out that the guy claims that he was influenced by the leaflets with the gun sights, is there a possibility that those who came up with those leaflets could be guilty of some sort of criminal negligence in the eyes of the law?

Where do you draw the line? I would think you'd have to consider whether a normal, sane person would be likely to interpret the leaflets in that manner. You can't for example accuse the producers of Taxi Driver of negligence over the attempt on President Reagan just because Hinkley Jr. was inspired by the movie.

2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Did you read the rest of that sentence?

3. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    update from Pima county sheriff on KVOA Tucson, apprehended shooting suspect is 22 yo male, used a pistol with extended magazine. 18 people shot.

4. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You assume the shooter has even heard of Sarah Palin. Big big assumption.

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Because "coherent motive" is not the issue. She won't be able to live down a crosshairs on an opponent with a note above it saying "we've diagnosed the problem ... help us prescribe the solution." The merest hint of a correlation does her in nationally. I'm not saying she is going to disappear, but her winning a national election is a fait accompli now.

6. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 critical , 5 in the OR, one dead (a young child)of those who arrived at the hospital

7. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The shooter has been identified as 22 year old Jared Laughner.

Also, a 2nd man has apparently been arrested in connection to the shootings.

8. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol!

9. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giffords in critical condition, which is much better than some alternative. Surgeon is optimistic.

10. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must be sad.

Smoke another joint.

11. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He says the bullet went through her brain. As optimistic as one could be under the circumstances, he said.

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    The doctor says that he's optimistic about her surviving, and that she's successfully out of surgery, though under anesthesia.

They've lost one patient, a 9 year old girl :(

13. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Trauma surgeon announces Giffords in critical condition, 1 deceased at UMC is a young child (about 9yo) :( :mad:

Surgeon is "about as optimistic as you can get for this situation" for Rep Giffords. She is responding to commands.

14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Shot in the head, through and through on one side.

Man...

15. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm serious, you'd be amazed about how many people in this country could give a bleep about national political figures.

Not everyone watches CNN, FOX News, or MSNBC 24 hours a day.

16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's a symbol of violence, and completely inappropriate for one politician to use on another. If Barack Obama's PAC did the same thing, then his ass should be out of office too.

17. gideon02

gideon02 Member

Jun 22, 2007
    texas
    but its so fun to play connect the dots when you're biased politically! I remember back when a census worker was killed and had FED carved on his chest and people were like OH MY GOD GLEN BECK DID THIS TEA PARTY PEOPLE DID THIS! turned out the dude killed himself. Was pretty much ignored by the left wing media that started that shit when the truth came out as well.

I just hope a lot of people in this thread are ready to eat crow when we learn about the true motivations, because some of the posters here are acting more nutty than the tea party people.

18. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget that Sarah's "gunsight target list" specifically names this particular congresswoman. So I guess she only has 19 more notches to put on her gun stock.

19. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should I have wished that she was in grave condition? Because that would be much worse.

You're sick.

20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Always, only and forever?

Doubtful it would happen. There's no way that something like that would even get to the impeachment stage, let alone removal from office.

21. gideon02

gideon02 Member

Jun 22, 2007
    texas
    doctor "very optimistic about the congresswoman's recovery"

22. gideon02

gideon02 Member

Jun 22, 2007
    texas
    doctor confirms 9 year old child shot in head died at hospital

23. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    If you are going to be sarcastic, please at least make it amusing.

"Yeah, because the verb "target" means only one thing, and no one ever uses the symbol of a crosshairs unless they mean to commit violence."

That is the full sentence. Associate yourself with guns and public figures that advocate using guns, and you invite some (crazy) people to reach what they see as the logical conclusion that you are asking them to shoot those who you point the crosshairs at. It is really that simple.

24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    No, I don't mean that. He should be disgraced so that he would not be re-elected.

25. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Question: why is this sort of actual action so exceedingly rare, then?