Conflict of Interest?

Discussion in 'Coach' started by elessar78, May 15, 2018.

1. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In the summer I do private sessions. In the past, I've been approached to do it—no need to advertise. But this year I want to expand, so I'm going to advertise on multiple platforms. One of the directors at my club has said that he's not in favor of coaches offering their current players private training, because it creates a conflict of interest.

He believes that there is an implicit threat of: "If you don't pay for private training with me you'll get less playing time or I'll cut you at tryouts."

Of course, this is would not be the case for me.

Is there a conflict of interest that I need to avoid in this case? Other coaches have proceeded despite the director's warning with no repercussion. Despite what others have done, I (always) want to do what is right for players and families. This is a rule I observed in the past.

2. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I've seen clubs institute a specific private trainings rule in some instance where the coach could offer privates to any player except those in his team. Just to avoid the favoritism or implicit mandatory to pay for private training.

Naturally, players doing private training could see an improvement more quickly than others who don't.

With my own teams, I've tried to avoid private trainings. They get 2 mandatory team practices and 1 optional skills/finishing/goalkeeper practice.

elessar78 repped this.
  3. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    When you talk about conflicts of interest there are 2 concerns. Real conflicts and the appearance of conflicts.

In your case if the lessons are during the off season, I don't see any conflict. I also don't see any "current players" to be concerned about. Perhaps the director meant "past" or "future" players. You cannot avoid an appearance of favoritism during tryouts toward past players you have coached.

What the director apparently is against is coaches linking lesson payments to tryout selection, which is graft rather than a conflicts issue. The director is dissembling by referring to it as a conflicts issue.

4. Sami Paakkanen

Mar 4, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    I really love your way to think team ! I would love to hear more of that ! Really nice way to work in my view !

5. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    don't mention the private training to your current team. if they see it on social or your website or whatever, give them the lessons. if you don't specifically mention it to them as a group, you avoid pressuring them or the appearance of pressure. if they "find you", you have no issue.

elessar78 and rca2 repped this.
  6. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think the director is trying to avoid a situation where player b, who didn't train with you privately, doesn't make the team while player a, who did train with you privately, makes the team, causing player b's parents to complain even if the selection is entirely based on merit. It might also happen if player a, who gets private training, plays more minutes than player b, who did not receive private training, even if it is based on merit.

It's not an "implicit threat", but more of a worry that it might show favoritism towards those that pay/can afford for private training with the current coach. Depending on the club you coach at, it might be something they would like to avoid, though other coaches doing so might imply that they are not so strict. However, telling you it is not okay may be a way of giving themselves some wiggle room if actual complaints come forward where they can say that you did this on your own without their consent/permission.

When I was in high school and middle school, there was a policy where a parent could hire a teacher as private tutor only if their child did not currently have a class with them, even if the teacher were tutoring in a subject / SAT that was not the class they taught the child in school. When I worked in a hospital, the admin made sure that family members did not work with each other in the same department and if they did work in the same department, they would have to work in a way that ensured they did not work with each other.

Personally, I think it depends on the club you coach at and how competitive it is. I would try to avoid working with current players, but it's a nice way to make money and help kids.

elessar78 repped this.
  7. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think this will be the approach I take. My recruitment base is much bigger than my current players anyway.

8. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Great insights!

Yes, I'm trying a new model this year—I want to make it accessible/affordable* based on the area. I live in an area where rural areas are adjacent to some wealthier areas.

Last year, parents approached me to do it—so I priced high. I liked the pay, but I've been thinking about who I was coaching it was all upper middle class kids: lawyers, bankers, execs. Nothing wrong with that at all. But in today's climate of accessibility to good training—I want to be able to provide an affordable service.

I really want to keep it small 6-8 kids maximum per one hour session.

9. Peter Rival

Peter Rival Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Another thought: is there another coach in the league to whom you could direct kids on your team and he/she could likewise direct their kids to you? This way you'd avoid any potential conflicts or appearance of conflicts and still the kids could get the training they need. Of course if there isn't another coach you'd be willing to do this with, then you're back to square one.

10. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is a great idea. Thanks!

11. Jyby

Jyby New Member

Dec 21, 2016
    As mentioned, there's been a couple of good ideas on this topic. Specifically, stphnsn and Peter Rival.

The idea of charging current players just doesn't sit well with me though.

12. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    #12 rca2, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Then charging current players during the Fall, Winter, and Spring months must bother you too. Some trainers are professionals and charge and others volunteer. The season of the year is immaterial to the ethics.

Your reference to "current" players during the Summer puzzles me. It is down time between seasons. Typically nobody has submitted team rosters yet. There are potential future players and past players. Some coaches stick with an age group and some coaches move to different age groups.

13. Jyby

Jyby New Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Correct.
    Volunteer coach with required license.

Not criticizing those that do, just providing opinion.

Fall rosters will be set within a week.

14. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    This doesn't apply to anyone in this thread, but...

Around here, many "Club" coaches are also "School" coaches. You don't tryout for my club that plays spring season, you don't get considered for school fall season. You don't pay for private skills training with me over the winter, you don't get considered for club spring season. You don't play club spring season...

There are ethical ways to offer skills training to kids that might be on your team, and there is the way other coaches do it :)

15. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    @CoachP365 That certainly crosses the line. Sad.

A high school coach ought to encourage athletes to better themselves. Most probably feel they are lucky to have club players. I have a problem though with prohibiting high school athletes from playing other sports even if they don't charge coaching fees, which those "School" coaches are doing.

The current long term trend in USSF soccer is requiring athletes to play soccer exclusively year round. Unfortunately this makes for tactically dumber players. Studies have shown that athletes playing multiple sports understand tactics better.

For me, I played HS football, basketball and tennis. Some who didn't play competitive tennis might wonder, but tennis strategy involves dominating your opponent by taking and keeping the initiative to force them to play your game. (I suspect in Europe handball teaches the same strategy.) This was more important during the Stone Age of my youth before substitutions, but is still critical outside the world of scholastic soccer.