[CONFIRMED] USA vs Mexico August 10

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by StevenTacle, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    It should be a closer game this time. I think if the deal was to bring our A-teams (or most of them), it will be a good one. I have my team being victorious, of course. :D

2. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to the game and it should be a good one. Mexico will be favored again and will most likely have the overwhelming "home" field advantage but that's ok as the USMNT need to play in tough environments.

Even though I am a USMNT fan, I just hope my fellow Mexican-Americans share this editors views and respect the country they live in.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/07/21/navarrette.soccer/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

As for the Mexico fans in Mexico, boo all you want. It's a fun rivalry and you are up right now so enjoy it. My USMNT had a good 10 year run and we will always have 2002.

3. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Can anyone actually show me some proof that the majority of Mexico fans booed the US national anthem? or is this one of those things that people blow out of proportion after a loss?

I've seen fan videos from the US supporters section and read accounts from US fans at the game that totally contradict the notion that the evil Mexicans disrespected the US national anthem.

I think that's the problem here, a few idiots take it upon themselves to disrespect the US national anthem and now it becomes a generalization. In one of those fan videos I saw, you can even see people wearing Mexico jerseys singing the US national anthem.

Now, don't think I'm in favor of these "gamesmanship" acts. I don't boo the US national anthem when I attend US-Mexico games and I can't speak for those who do, I just don't want to be lumped in with them when all is said and done.

4. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just read this on cnn's website and naturally came over here to see if anybody had brought it up yet haha. i love how this guy is a mexican-american and is bringing up the same points us fans had been talking about throughout the build up and aftermath of the us-mexico game.

specifically this point:
    "One of them was 37-year-old Victor Sanchez, who wore a Mexico jersey and told Plaschke: "I love this country, it has given me everything that I have, and I'm proud to be part of it. But yet, I didn't have a choice to come here, I was born in Mexico, and that is where my heart will always be." Most Americans hear a quote like that and they get confused. I'm confused -- and a little angry. As someone who was born in the United States to parents who were born in the United States, I don't understand how you can "love" one country if you've already given your heart to another.
    Previous waves of immigrants -- from Germany, Ireland, Italy and other countries -- might have had similar feelings. They loved the United States, and yet some of them kept a warm spot in their heart for the old country. Still, by most accounts, their loyalty was clear. They pledged allegiance to the nation that took them in.
    Sanchez might not have had a choice to come here -- either because he was brought here as a child by his parents or because the poor economy in Mexico made it impractical for him to stay. But he has a choice now. He can stay here, or he can go back. If he stays, he ought to try to be more grateful to a country that has given him "everything" that he has. It's immigrant etiquette. Good manners intertwined with good citizenship. Were he to choose to go back to Mexico, he could cheer for whatever team he wanted."

5. halfnhalf89

halfnhalf89 Member+

Aug 19, 2008
    I still don't understand the arrogance of mexican fans, can anyone tell me why their past world cup performanes merit their team being ranked along side the best teams in the world? They played well in the gold cup final, and dominated the whole tournament but their always average when they play in the world cup and against teams with world class players.

6. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    It's incredible how people associate cheering for a soccer team with being patriotic.

If the guy pays his taxes and contributes to society why would rooting for Mexico mean he's not "grateful"?

Does INS require one to root for the USMNT when acquiring a green card or citizenship?

If they do, my lawyer and case worker forgot to tell me.... :rolleyes:

You're just mad because we're still better than Guatemala.

Te duele puñal, te duele.

7. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhh not really, he laid it all out in the article. As he said "the team represents the country"...

"Sanchez told Plaschke: "We're not booing the country, we're booing the team. There is a big difference." Is there really? The team represents the country. So if you disrespect one, you disrespect the other.
    The Mexican fans understand perfectly. After all, they weren't just cheering a team; they were showing their love for Mexico. The team represents the country.
    As a Mexican-American -- oops, I mean, an American-Mexican, spectacles like this turn my stomach."

8. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    uhhh yes really

A guy who joins the military in order to protect American interests and lives but roots for Mexico is what exactly?

Guess what, there are plenty of guys like that.....guys who would risk their lives for this country but just so happen to root for Mexico in soccer....my cousins for example, except they root for Colombia.

I'll let them know that even in they risk their lives in the military, the average american thinks they're traitors because they support another national team.

Soooooo if I boo the Giants I'm booing the state of New York?

LOL okay.

9. vponce75

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read the article. No one said anything is wrong with rooting for the country of one's birth or parent's birth or whatever the connection is but just show proper respect and sportsmanship to the country that is currently providing the opportunity for that person and/or that person's family. That's all.

In my defense, if I read your first reply correctly, I think you would agree with that sentiment and that we are on the same team here. This isn't an attack on you or "evil" Mexicans or Mexico. I love Mexico, it's my mothers home. Just a request to the vocal minority.

10. vponce75

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who said anything about rooting for another country's team being traitor? Please point that out?

All the article says is to not boo the national anthem of said person's home. Do you disagree with that?

Edit - Do you think your cousins, who serve our country and risk their lives for our flag and ideals would boo the national anthem they sacrifice for when the USA plays Colombia?

11. NCCFBALL

NCCFBALL Member+

Apr 19, 2007
    ITALY
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    At World Cups since 1994 we have tied Italy (twice), beaten France, tied Holland, beaten Croatia (they were coming off a 3rd place finish the prior WC), tied Argentina and been one of ONLY 3 NATIONS to get out of the group stage in each of the last 5 WCs.....if that is average or not something ot be proud of, then I hate to see how bad the other nations are.

12. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, because those are athletes who play for a club team. Without looking probably 90% of the Giants roster aren't New Yorkers to begin with. Example being Eli Manning, I don't think New Yawkers are known for having Southern drawls. These are athletes who are representing a country.

You should really read the article again, it's perfect because it's one of YOUR people making the exact same argument other Americans fans who aren't of Mexican descent would make.

13. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a pretty long discussion involving the MunDos broadcast of the US/Mex game from Azteca last time where some US troops that were apparently of Mexican ancestry, were shown cheering the Mexico goal at the party sponsored by MunDos, waving Mexican flags and shit. There were a number of regular posters who wanted these troops discharged and/or deported immediately and called them traitors. There were also a few Chickenhawks that hoped they would be killed in combat or put in riskier duty (like ********ing Iraq or Afghanistan isn't dangerous enough) so they would have a better chance at being injured or hoped fellow soldiers would "take measures" on them such as everything from additional forced PT to abuse to maybe even a fragging.

Responding to said chickenhawks and other hyperpatriots cost me a year of USMen's access, but trust me, there are plenty of USMen's regulars who assume every TriFan in the stadium is an illegal and any legal immigrant and/or US Born fan of El Tri is a traitor.

14. NCCFBALL

NCCFBALL Member+

Apr 19, 2007
    ITALY
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think there is a difference like the guy in the article who was interviewed said. When you boo the US, you are booing the team not the nation. If what the writer wrote makes sense to him, then since I'm an A's fan and I boo the SF Giants then I must hate San Francisco the city or anyone that lives there. That is dumb, so the write doesn't make sense. As more years go by, the US will get more fans from us Mexicans that were born here, as generations continue to be born here vs Mexico and also as racism continues to decrease. I'm first generation, my kid who is 3 is second generation, but because of my love for MNT, he runs around in his Mexico jersey yelling viva Mexico and such, he either wears a Chivas jersey or Mexico jersey, but of course if he get older he may not cheer for Mexico and as the generations keep being born here the farther away Mexico will be in their heads. Now about racism playing a part, for me growing up I had a big dislike towards the US because I had a lot of issues with racism at school even starting in 1st grade because I was mexican, and I'm a light colored Mexican with a Spaniard last name and blue eyes, but because I spoke spanish and I was Mexican litte kids would call me and my brother **************** and such. We fought at shcool everyday until our parents paid for us to go to a private catholic school. That early racism started a dislike for the US, however not a dislike of the country just the people. I think situations like this get young kids discouraged and make them lean another way.

15. JUAN-XAVIER

JUAN-XAVIER Member

Jul 23, 2009
    TEXAS
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I was born and raised in San Antonio, Texas to a Mexican mother (from a small pueblo called Cedral) Spanish Father from Tarragona. Futbol is the only sport that i root for Mexico and Spain over the US (oh and Rafael Nadal in Tennis, Yes i follow Tennis). In the olympics you will see me always cheering the US. I sing all three national anthems with pride but in Futbol my loyalty for a TEAM lies else where. There is nothing wrong with that just like there is nothing wrong with a person like my self chooses to root for the US, i don't consider them traitors.

The loyalty to a national team is also based on there upbringing. My household was always watching mexican/spanish soccer. so it was only natural for me to grow up with a favorite team to root.

so what does this make me?

16. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest it stirred up a lot of talk around the country, you probably saw it in the papers, where people who don't follow soccer at all or know anything about it were saying wait why are these people who are living in my country booing my countries national team? and then when they find out a lot of them were probably born in the us it makes them more aggravated. it's a patriotic thing, ya know? whether you admit it or not, the team represents the nation. why else would people get all worked up about the world cup and the olympics? you have athletes with your countries flag on it representing you.

17. vponce75

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A fan. I'm not sure how this was misunderstood but nothing wrong with rooting for whoever you want. It's a free country afterall, which is why we love it. Just showing a proper respect for one's current home nation, especially during a national anthem, is all that was requested. I imagine you wouldn't boo the US national anthem during Mexico/US or Spain/US right? Just as I wouldn't boo the national anthem of Mexico, my mother's home, during a US/Mex game...and especially in Mexico.

18. beat junky

beat junky Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    CA
    Once again if it did happen it was a very small percentage.

And like someone else said reports of this actually happening have conflicting with reports from the majority of US and Mexico soccer fans that actually attended games.

19. JUAN-XAVIER

JUAN-XAVIER Member

Jul 23, 2009
    TEXAS
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    We are all fans of this sport. We also have our rivalries. I understand that rivalries do get heated. I agree with you 110% on booing the opposition's national anthem is completely disrespectful, but booing a player on that team is just part of the rivalry. What i don't like about the reporter is that he is pointing out the fans the disrespected an anthem but does not do the same on pointing out ugly remarks that were made about the Japanese. It goes both ways.

also can someone please provide hard evidence of this booing fiasco. all i hear is rumors with out hard evidence. and don't say this "i was there and i heard it", so was i. if you heard it in a few rows that does not mean the whole stadium was doing it. and with the technology of today's age, smart phones iphones, some one must have recorded it. so im asking such a small request, PROVE IT! and if you can't LET IT THE F**K GO!

VPONCE, i don't mean you to prove it or f**king let it go. that part is directed to the fan boys. Your cool, i like you!

20. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    The problem is that things like this will have major repercussions for Mexicans on this side of the border.

So a few drunken idiots disrespected the American national anthem.......the more this gets regurgitated, the more the myth grows and the more the public begins to show disdain towards people of a certain nation or color.

It's the same thing that happened in Guadalajara in 04. Some drunken idiots started chanting "Osama, Osama" at the US Olympic team. It didn't matter that most of the crowd whistled at them and that they were removed from the stadium while being publicly berated by the media....the myth grew into a packed Jalisco stadium angrily chanting "Osama, Osama" at the US team and rabidly looking for blood....and no matter how many times people explain what happened, the public perception has already turned negative.

21. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, but would you agree or disagree with what the author said here?:

"Yet, something here is amiss. The Mexican immigrants of today are noticeably different from the Mexican immigrants of a few decades ago. They're more defiant, more entitled and more intent on preserving their culture and maintaining their love for a country they left behind -- one that hasn't always loved them back. It could be a phase, perhaps brought on by the anti-immigrant mood infecting much of the United States. And, if so, let's hope it is a short one."
    The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Ruben Navarrette Jr."

Link to article btw: http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/07/21/navarrette.soccer/index.html?on.cnn=1

22. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least you admit this happened. During the GC when this was brought other Mexican fans demanded proof that this happened, so when an article the Associated Press wrote about it was posted it turned into "don't believe everything you read!" Haha.

23. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    I would tend to agree with the author in that regard, yes. It appears the recent wave of Mexican immigrants have a very strong connection to the motherland and may portray that different ways.

I also think it has something to do with the way some are treated (or perceive themselves as being treated) and the current immigration discourse.

All this does is add fuel to the fire, frankly.

24. vponce75

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well there are plenty of idiots on both sides of the border that ruin it for all of us. Let's hope that all we get on Aug 8th is a great game. The GC final was definitely entertaining even if it was brutal to watch as a USMNT.

25. 2Saints

2Saints Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Los Angeles
    ;)
    I was there in the cheap seats. I didnt hear any Boos I heard applause after. And I sang both and cheered both. Yet only cheered one team ;) MEXICO!