Confirmed and Official - Welcome to Old Trafford José Mourinho

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    #JoseOut

Ashur and halfnhalf89 repped this.
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  4. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #premature

Who among us here actually believed United were a lock for the prem trophy this season?

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Jose is pep"s Wenger [emoji23]

7. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I don't miss the style we were playing in under Van Gaal, I do miss our record vs big teams. For all the crap football that United played overall, at least when it came to big games, he had the team showing up for those at least for the most part and getting results.
    Big games are slowly but surely starting to feel like a liability when it comes to Mourinho. We know of his approach in away games: and yes, it worked brilliantly vs Arsenal, but if it weren't for Dave, we could have been demolished after the first 15mins. But that game aside, I think we have registered something like 1pt, with no goals scored in away games vs top 6 oppo in Jose's time with the club. That's a problem.
    And what yesterday showed without a shadow of a doubt, is that Jose is scared in some way of Pep. To have the team be so timid in the first half at home is still mind boggling to me. And unless Jose learns to compromise on his philosophy and learns to adapt (the way SAF did time and again), we could be looking at a period of complete domination from Pep and City, not just over us but everyone, the way it eventually happened with United under SAF.
    Over to Jose now and show everyone what he's got. And hopefully when he's alone with his thoughts, he can recognize that his ways need some amending. No need of a total revolution, but just a tweak here and there. Better yet, him going back to the manager he used to be, prior to Real would be good enough for me.

9. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Not a "lock" but my expectation is to win it every year or at least challenge for it. Some people go on about the board not backing him but the only player he may have missed out on this summer was Perisic and truly would he have made much of a difference? Pep is schooling Jose and it's not good enough.

doubletrouble repped this.
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no argument that Jose has been backed up by the board. And yes, what we're seeing right now is not entirely good enough, but at the same token, if we finish 2nd (or even 3rd really), it will be progress on last season.
    Still early and we haven't reached the midway point yet, but it's looking that it will take something real special to catch City and no one seems to be up to the challenge. They've won 14gms in a row, playing superb football along the way and we keep dropping way too any points we should have easily secured.
    As mentioned ad nauseum, Jose's style (particularly in big games) is not helping matters at all. We need some help personel wise, we know that but Jose needs to make some changes of his own as well, if we want to challenge a rampant and expansive team like City. And hopefully, it's something that Jose will prove able to do, like SAF before him. Not like we've got much choice in the matter (for now at least) anyhow...

13. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Maybe Mou having some fun with a bit of word-play ...

14. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  15. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Maybe you guys already discussed this, but is it impossible to believe that Jose pulled the city dressing room stunt with the purpose of attaching the players to the fight? It would give them motivation in the league fight and specific animosity towards city and its players. The fact that I’m reading Mourinho’s assistant is the one who relayed the raucous to the players is a little strange.

16. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Jose is using the dressing room bust up to deflect from him getting completely outclassed by Pep and the shit display the team put forth. He's done this multiple times in the past. I'm not sure why everyone is surprised. He keeps doing it because it keeps working.

J'can and doubletrouble repped this.
  17. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Mou deserves criticism from many people, just not LVG - lest we forget;

940334185545379841 is not a valid tweet id

18. halfnhalf89

halfnhalf89 Member+

Aug 19, 2008
    Seconded

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    The board backing was another famous excuse for our fans who are blinded by this man. I highly doubt Peresic would have us steamrolling teams. Knowing Mourihno he probably would've used Peresic at left back

21. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    My (and any reasonable fan's) target at the start of the season was 80 points and reaching the quarters in Europe.

Some of you guys need to have your heads examined - we just had 4 seasons where our highest points tally was 70 and we made the knockouts in the CL once.

It is not possible for any team to go from that to 95 points in the league and CL favourites in one season. This season is more the 2005-06 season for those who can remember.

Jose is a coward and it is fine to call him out for that but not for the results when he is well above target so far.

omar_mufc, Sofabloke and United 16 repped this.
  22. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think many of us would accept worse results with higher quality football. I know I would.

23. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Which is fine.

My point is about results and how unrealistic/deluded some of our fanbase is.

24. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Oh, well yeah that's true. Nobody can have complaints about our point total so far. I just think our point total and stats are indicative of our displays.

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's your meaning there because we haven't been playing particularly well in the past couple of months. Even at the start of the season, we were ok at best in my estimation.
    That being said, results are still what matter first and foremost. Would definitely wish for us to be easier on the eyes, but our current mandate, after years of mediocre results that have seen us out of the top 4 and the CL 3yrs, is still to rack up the points, which we are currently doing as witnessed by our current league position.
    Style is a concern, but it's far from the most pressing one right now...