Confirmed and Official - Welcome to Old Trafford José Mourinho

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I hate Mou as United's gaffer. Does that mean I don't have the team's interest at heart?

doubletrouble and sdotsom repped this.
  2. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    I don't know....why do you hate Mourinho? Do you miss Moyes? Want LVG back?

Seems like Mourinho is more defensive than SAF, tho' I watched more than my fair share of completely boring Liverpool games....
    I don't really want a new manager every 2 years, and I don't think we should get rid of successful managers to chase after someone who might be even better.

3. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Once Jose fizzles out, and it won't take long, I hope we actually move to a manager capable of free flowing, attacking football. We've hired a clueless mid level manager, a system guy, and a game manager.

I'd be happy finishing 3rd or 4th for a year or two if it meant watching attacking football and exciting games.

doubletrouble, jeff070 and JC7rox repped this.
  4. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As if having distaste for the current boss must be tied to his two predecessors.

In terms of what one can qualify as being successful for this club, it still has not happened. This club was built on a certain culture, one that it currently sits very far from. Hoofing balls forward and hoping that Marouane Fellaini saves your ass is not the United way.

5. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    No, but changing managers every 2 years isn't the club culture either. Even if there was some magical replacement available, our dream guy.

6. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mind beating the big teams only 1-nil, as long as we get the 4-nils against the minnows.
    2nd or 3rd place this year, a deep FA Cup and/or CL run would be good too....

7. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There's nothing in conflict about loving one's club and despising the club's manager.

As for the merits of Mourinho himself, the sole brief in support of him is his ability to deliver trophies. Apart from winning things, there's really no good reason to hold him in high regard. His tactics are dour, his personality has its disorders and he certainly doesn't stick around at any one club for very long even while he's winning things. His reservoir of goodwill, in short, is not deep.

United have gone too long without an EPL trophy and of course a CL trophy. Thus, Mourinho. Despite the (not-so-shocking) result against Chelsea over the weekend, we're still on track to win an EPL trophy and even CL trophy next season. Surely no one here thought we were a lock to win both this season...I hope. Contending, sure, and we are contending, but we're hardly a lock for either.

Mourinho surely understands what the missing pieces are and we've got two transfer windows (January + summer) to finally pull it all together for the 18/19 season. It's hard to wait that long, I know, but I recommend we hang in there and not give up on Jose just yet.

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I understand the different perspectives on Jose.
    I however do think he has coveted the United job since he was here with Porto ( when Scholes was onside!!! :devilish: ) and he has been proving himself with stints at other clubs winning trophies, etc. Now, it is hard to say that when he spent time at Real Madrid (but nobody lasts long there, and you can't really say Chelsea has a reputation for sticking with managers since Abramovich took over), so it kind of makes sense. Pochettino may make sense some day, but for now, I can't think of anybody other than Mourinho for this club when it comes to bringing the Premiership and CL back to Old Trafford, and given the backing he wants in the transfer market, I think we can get there. Once he builds the team he wants and has proven himself with trophies, the pressure to deliver eases somewhat, and I think only then will he fully release the brakes.... but that's just my feeling, it may never be that way with Jose, and I admit that.

10. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Btw, found this from 2009 in an old BigSoccer thread:

Jose Mourinho of Inter has refused to rule out the prospect of a switch to Manchester United later in his managerial career.

The Portuguese boss, though, stated that he was unsure when the opportunity would present itself due to the longevity and success of Sir Alex Ferguson.

The News of the World quotes Mourinho as saying, "I have big jobs left in me that is for sure — but I can’t commit to which ones.

"If you want me to rule out ever being Manchester United manager I can’t. Special clubs need special managers so in theory it could work, but nobody knows what the future is in football.

"The England national team wanted me as coach and that is the biggest job in England, so I am sure when Sir Alex retires they will look at the best managers in the world and I certainly fall into that category.

"How much time I can’t say, Sir Alex doesn’t look like he is ready to stop. But when you are managing a winning team you don’t want to stop — and if you have health then there is no reason to."

11. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That offside call still pisses me off, moreso than the non-call on Drogba, who was offside by at least a yard. Get those two calls right and we've got another CL trophy and another EPL trophy in our cabinet.

It's hard to see Jose stay at OT past next season but if he goes with the CL/EPL double and moves on to PSG or Portugal I'm not going to complain. It's too early to hand the EPL trophy to City but it's looking more and more likely as every week passes. Second in the table will be no dishonor whatsoever. A disappointment, sure, but no dishonor.

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  14. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Really great article.

Anecdotally - we filmed at a Chelsea CL presser in his first mid 00s Chelsea stint and he was the life of the party - joking with the room and had everyone in stitches.

That Jose is gone for some reason - he seemed to really change in Spain.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2190 Ashur, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    I agree there, Jose really changed, disposition wise during his time at Real. It's pretty clear that the frustration of not getting the best of Barca whether it was under Pep or Villanova got the best of him.
    He not only came to Real with this big rep and was supposed to stop Barca dead in their tracks. He was also bitter he never got anywhere near the Barca job (despite spending time there) and he wanted to stick it to them every chance he got (his reaction at the Camp Nou when he eliminated Barca from Europe with Inter was the perfect example), yet he failed for the most part.
    His very negative and overly safe approach in big games away came from there: he was always relatively cautious, but he took that approach to new levels, after Real got demolished in their first Clasico at the Camp Nou.
    The manager he is now can absolutely be traced back to his Real days and when speaking about hs career, we can definitely refer to it in BR/PR (Before Real/Post Real) terms. Would absolutely delighted if BR Jose was our manager now. Even as a United fan, I liked the style/feel of his Chelsea team in his first stint.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Was on a long drive today, and listening to grumpy pundits....which I don't do very often, probably because they should really be called bitchy pundits, or maybe the madly in love with Pep pundits.
    Anyway, they were betting that Mourinho would bring Zlatan into the game tomorrow for the last 15 minutes. Reason was so that Mourinho could get the glory for bringing him on, they snarked. While they continued to rail about Mourinho, they offhandedly mentioned all the people who were coming back from injury without ever noting that that might be part of the reason the team wasn't so great last few games.

Then they started to talk about whether City was the greatest team ever and I turned to another station........

United 16 repped this.
  18. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Tommy Smith (sp?) is a clown but Rodney Marsh is worth listening to. I missed the segment you’re referring to but beating down Unitedis pretty standard fare by football analysts. Ferguson was constantly berated over his 26 years for being a poor tactician but a great man manager. Hating Mourinho is the lazy man’s “analysis”. His haters forget that he wins trophies everywhere he goes.

You’re right...there’s no question that we’ve suffered from the absence of Pogba.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

24. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Those two clowns provide less insight on football than your average Joe off the street. Theyre absolutely clueless.

benni... repped this.
  25. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Rodney can be funny at times, but you're right.

Its usually their guest who provide more insight.