Confirmed and Official - Welcome to Old Trafford José Mourinho

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fellaini wasn't poor yesterday at all.

Ashur repped this.
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's actually been ok as of late. Good enough to do a job, when required at the very least.

3. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ok is about right re Fellaini. He had a glorious chance on goal -- the Shaw cross, having nothing to do with Ibra -- which he missed but apart from that was fairly anonymous, neither a help nor a hindrance.

In addition to the three goals that we scored, we missed three glorious chances -- two of which were created by our leading goal scorer.

I'm ok with Fellaini seeing out the season with numerous starts. It is what it is. But I hope this hoof and pray shit doesn't bleed into next season.

4. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    I thought in some cases his passing was erratic which is his usual weakness, but disrupted our flow in transition and that was against 10 men and a shit team.

5. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1631 Ashur, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    Mentioned it in the game thread, but today's win is significant for Jose. And today was the Jose we love and what was expected when got him. If he could manage in the same way the majority of the time, there's no telling how good he can have United. Vintage Mourinho.

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    At least it looked like he cheered the ******** up post-game.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  8. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The win should give the players more belief in Mou too.

Sure he has a management pedigree that will get that anyway to some extent, but to have a tactical plan for a big game and for the team to execute it and comfortably beat the league leaders will reinforce it at a key time.

Ashur repped this.
  9. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Interesting stat;

johno repped this.
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've got one of the very best ones around in Rashford. And it's great that he did show faith in him the way he has this season. Curious as to what that figure becomes if he were taken out of the equation...

11. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Just saying "teenagers" is somewhat disingenuous. Say U21 and you include Dale Alli's minutes and it changes completely. A more subjective view is that minutes for neither Alli or Rashford require a visionary, youth oriented coach because they're clearly 2 of the very best England has to offer and are deservedly full internationals. Their numbers were important for last season, not this. Similar case can be made for Sane and Jesus at Man City, based on price and being brought through at their previous clubs.

Regardless of age, it's more minutes for the likes of Fosu Mensah, Harry Winks, Iheanacho that show a willingness to blood "youth". First real season, a willingness not to pack out the matchday squad with journeymen in favour of trusting the brighter players from the second string.

J'can, johno, jeff070 and 3 others repped this.
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1637 Ashur, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Precisely why I'm very curious about United's numbers in the tweet above with Rashford not being in the mix. Putting aside the fact that he did "establish" himself the way he did following his brilliant half season last term, the argument can and will be made by some that Jose didn't really have much of a choice in playing him, being that he's Zlatan's only nominal replacement on the squad (even if ironically, Rashford got the bulk of his minutes playing out wide).
    As mentioned elsewhere, this area is one of the few where I do miss Van Gaal. There's no doubt that Timmy alone (along with others) would have seen a lot of time this season, if he was around...

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Rashford - 1443
    Fosu-Mensah - 2

via the Premier League

jeff070, Gilma1990 and Ashur repped this.
  14. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's such a stupid stat. I saw Duncan Castles pimping that as he would for his daddy. It's all Rashford. Why not look at TFM or Tuanzebe after all the hype Jose gave em in preseason?

15. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hey El_Mitt! Good to see your name pop up here.

El_Mittinho_ii repped this.
  16. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don't you think there's a pretty big difference -- physically, mentally and emotionally -- between a player aged 18/19 and a player aged 20? The 20 year old player probably already had a full season of play under his belt whereas the 18 or 19 year player probably didn't.
    The stat that tells us that Conte has given zero minutes to teenagers and that Mourinho has given 1443 minutes to teenagers tells us something, although that something isn't the whole story. The whole story is that Conte has been in the hunt for the prem trophy for most of the season while Jose fell out of the running in November. Jose's putative star player, Rooney, proved to be physically incapable of coping with the prem and had to be dropped for good sometime in October (might have been the defeat to Watford) and eventually he had to give extended minutes to Rashford not only because of the collapse of Rooney, but the massive disappointment to Martial as well.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Interesting point that I had forgotten about:

"If we manage to win the Europa League and in August to play the European Super Cup against the Champions League winner, it will be magnificent."

Magnificent indeed.

Since we've had periodic #JoseOut outbursts here -- but not on other United forums that I've seen -- it might be worth a quick reminder that Moyes/Van Gaal left the squad in a mess and that Jose does his best work with his new club in the second year as manager. I think everyone knows that but we still see whinging (not from you, Ashur) that Jose has screwed it up this season, that we should have accomplished more than we have with this squad. I understand the impatience, as we were asked to be patient with Moyes and Van Gaal, but patience is required in this situation. We're almost certain to qualify for the CL now (very likely in the EL, but possibly in the EPL as well), which was far and away the primary objective of this season.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1645 Ashur, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    In all seriousness, which manager(s) do you favor? Taking a guess, I'd say the likes of Poch or Sarri for sure.

20. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    If Mou were to leave, I would take Koeman personally, right after comes Poch, right after comes Tuchel

21. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Villas-Boas

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Gnome

Gnome Member+

Nov 5, 2013
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
  24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad this was finally brought up. I personally could not believe he actually said that in his press conference after the Burnley game. If he's looking to make them leave, then it could be mission accomplished. I'm aware this is Smalling and Jones, 2 who are not real favorites around here, but last I checked, both players were diagnosed by the team doctors and were ruled out for the season.
    Jose saw what happened the last time a player stepped on the field when e shouldn't have: United got hammered at the Bridge and Smalling had probably his worst game in a United shirt. Why he's trying to insist on either playing is beyond me, especially when he's got guys he can call upon and give them the opportunity.
    I understand that Jose is a manager who will demand a lot and is not afraid to push the envelope but he needs to be careful not alienating players in this way. That is in part what led to his demise and it's starting to happen way too often for my taste...