Confirmed and Official - Welcome to Old Trafford José Mourinho

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1476 Ashur, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    When precisely, one can not make the distinction between comments that are actually genuine, well thought out and serious, with others born out sheer pettiness or come from an ugly place of pure vindictiveness, that's when you know for the most part, they can no longer be trusted and lose some of their credibility in the process.
    That's pretty much why it's hard for me to put any credence or merit into anything he has to say re United nowadays. We've all seen and heard how he would go out of his way to just spew venom at United, for no other reason that he's got an ax to grind since he was forced out...

2. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    @JC7rox you are right in identifying Scholes but I think it's clear at this point that he had a pro Giggs agenda. His constant criticism has toned down significantly this year now that the Giggs thing is no longer an issue.

But even then, I'm perfectly fine with ex players criticizing the club. But I don't think Keane's criticism is coming from a place of trying to see the club do things better. I genuinely think he dislikes United and will do as long as SAF is anywhere near or around the club. There are many criticisms that could be leveled against United at any given time - our finishing, our odd squad rotation or lack of, etc. But Keane just feels like a heckler with a platform these days.

cr7torossi repped this.
  3. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  4. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He's right hahah

SyedZada and benni... repped this.
  5. Gnome

Gnome Member+

Nov 5, 2013
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    He got everything out of Ozil. It was brilliant management.

benni... and Gilma1990 repped this.
  6. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  7. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  8. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    136 shots and only five goals in the 7 home draws says it all.

The more interesting thing is to analyze why we are not scoring enough given we are creating plenty of changes. Especially those other than Zlatan - who is carrying the bulk of our scoring, but by his own standards is missing a lot of good chances and has gone a number of games esp. earlier in the campaign not scoring is games we really needed him to.

I would put the reasons down as follows;

- no rotation of our #9 (partly explained by lack of a _proven_ #9 alternative in the squad)

- youth / EPL inexperience of our other main attacking players (Martial:21, Rashford:19, Pogba:23, Lingard:24)

- Zlatan style (dropping off, no pace to stretch defences and make space etc.)

- Mou system (ie single-striker; 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with a #10 who has to work back, wing-forwards who have to track back etc.)

- number #10 issues (Mou failure to play Mikhi first half of season, Rooney ineffectual, Mata inconsistent and often played wide etc.)

- CBs (and others) not scoring from corners given we have good height in a number of players who always play (Pogs, Ibra)

9. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Should the thread be re-named as Judas is still No1 - José Mourinho Thread ? ;)

MizzouMUFC and Gilma1990 repped this.
  10. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Say what you want about Jose, but he's done a fine job since being appointed. Despite our position in the league, I'd rate him as a 7 out of 10 for the year so far.

Positives:

- Dropped Rooney. It can't be emphasized enough how big this is. His lacking technical ability and tactical inflexibility has been screwing is over for years. Jose dropping him has fixed this (although he could've done it sooner).

- Identifying and being able to lure top talent. No top player wanted anything to do with us under Moyes and LvG. Jose still has an aura about him that draws in top talent. He came in, identified 3 top players and one potential star, and wrapped up all the deals fairly early in the summer. If you look at the talent we brought, the only one we overpaid for was Pogba (some credit goes to Woody here as well).

- Motivation. Since Fergie left, the players haven't had a belief in the team and it's been all too clear. The players could see Moyes was in over his head and they didn't trust LvG and his hands-off, keep possession nonsense. Jose has the belief in the team back and when he sees a player needs motivating, he does it. The mentally strong players respond, the weak don't. Simple enough.

- Finally playing attacking football again. I know our goals for says otherwise but that's more down to poor finishing than our playing style. This team passes the eye test much more than Moyes or LvG's United.

Negatives:

- Still can be a whiny little bitch. Always has, always will.

- Failure to rotate. He needs to give more games to young players and stop favoring others so much that he runs them into the ground.

- Stop experimenting with Pogba. This kid is the focal point of the team going forward. Build it around him in a way that lets him excel. If he fails, then it's on him. But don't let an investment like him fail because we played him in a sub-optimal position.

LA. MAN UNITED and jeff070 repped this.
  11. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Blames poor finishing over playing style then complains about our record signing in a sub-optimal position. :cautious:

Gilma1990 repped this.
  12. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Jose was on the BBC Football show tonight. Haven't seen it yet, but he does mention that he'd have never sold Di Maria, Chicharito, or Welbeck if he was in charge earlier.

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United are not ready to dominate the Preniership. - Mourinho

www.bbc.com/sport/football/39291303

No surprise there. Guessing that's him downplaying expectations at this point and at the same time, giving Woodward and the board a stark reminder that some big pieces will still be needed in the summertime, I suppose

14. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who would you bring in so we can challenge for the league?

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knowing the type of player he favors, I definitely buy it 100% as far as ADM and Welbeck (who would have been a great squad guy for us this year). Even Chicharito, I guess I can see that he would have loved to have him as backup upfront as well, as a different option up top.

16. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think @Ashur has me on ignore...:ROFLMAO:

17. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
  18. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    too old?

Its a good sign he his getting into so many goal scoring positions

RvP also had a collapse in his data but over several years from his Arsenal peak and IIRC he still was able to get into the positions in the next 2 years despite being in serious decline.

19. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  20. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Never misses a chance to have a pop. He does have a point though - this fixture congestion is something Jose better *hopefully* get used to at this club. It's clear Jose is trying to create a bunker mentality but after repeating that a thousand times, it will lose its effect. Also, it's quite clear he isn't rotating enough. Stop complaining about fixtures, and use some line like Schwein or Tuanzebe or TFM last night, it in league games.

It is funny to see Keane criticizing managerial tactics though, given his own massive success in that field.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1497 Ashur, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    As previously mentioned, it just gets old at this point and the predictability of his words make them less impactful each passing time. He may have a point or speak some truth, but the overriding question is always whether he's pushing some type of agenda spawned by personal feelings. And fair or not, it has impacted his credibility among some: I know it's hard for me to take completely seriously or at the very least, my first thoughts are on his own motives for his comments.
    As far as Jose himself is concerned, he definitely finds himself in an interesting situation at the moment and it will be very interesting to see how he negotiates things in the coming weeks. His comment yesterday that the team has "enemies" everywhere, or that the team probably will lose Sunday because of the injuries, the crammed fixture list, etc are typical Jose and certainly designed to have the guys close ranks and light a fire in them.
    Mentioned previously that he was going to have to be creative in this stretch of game and it looks like he won't have a choice now. Very curious to see what he does with the midfield particularly. The frustrating part is that he really could have spared himself a few headaches if he had made just basic use of some completely forgotten guys, like Schweini or Timmy (or taken a shot at Blind in midfield in Carrick's role).

22. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Fixture congestion was predictable and Mourinho went into the season with a reduced squad, did not integrate youth and refused to rotate. He can have no complaints. Keane is correct.

23. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Guess he had another interview today or yesterday where he said that the EPL doesn't give a shit about teams in Europe, asking why we play on a Sunday noon after a Thursday game instead of later on Sunday or Monday. Also asking for Friday night games the weekend before UEFA ties.

He's been saying this for years. Portugal and Italy do it, blah blah. You take the money, you have to take the rules.

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States