Confirmed and Official - Welcome to Old Trafford José Mourinho

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  2. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It’s a shame the sacking didn’t happen in pre-season, when the warning signs were already in plain view. But here we are now and the immediate challenge is to settle the players and get them to a point where they are playing to their maximum potential. The season is a lost cause in terms of trophies but if the presumed leaders of this squad can take this chance we might just see some pretty decent football from here on out.

We’re short an experienced CB, which I hope is rectified in January, but we’ve actually got a decent squad which can compete well with all but City and Liverpool the rest of the season.

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had a solid first season with us and I think it's safe to say that even those, such as myself who were not thrilled with his appointment but came to accept it, were encouraged by where we appeared to be headed towards.
    It all started going pear shaped rather soon into the 2nd seasob, after a great start. And it progressively got worse and worse. And it was telling that finishing 2nd, did nothing to save him and it effectively was the beginning of the end of him.
    As it always hapoens, Mourinho was his worst enemy in the end and his confrontational ways, once more, did him in. Thanks for his first season, the trophies and bringing back a hint of swagger, but given the fact that all that good work quickly went down the drain, it was time for him to go. Best of luck in his future endeavors...

4. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s only one man who can step in and guarantee 4th spot now.
    [​IMG]

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  5. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was wrong. Didn't think they had the stones to do it. Small step in the right direction. The key things will be how we proceed from here. Other people need to be let go to or have their rules reduced. the next few months are crucial. There is hope I'm happy this step was taken and maybe just maybe we will get our Manchester United back

MizzouMUFC repped this.
  6. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  7. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Also that we dont press.

MizzouMUFC repped this.
  8. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Christmas came early :D:ROFLMAO:

jnielsen repped this.
  9. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  10. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The night is darkest right before the dawn and it's morning again for Manchester United. The long night is over.

12. Ribo_2006

Ribo_2006 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Uk
    When you appoint Mourinho it's on the basis he gets immediate success, and that he did. 2 trophies in his first season, a return to champions league football, and a 2nd place prem finish last season. You also know he plays a negative brand of football that focuses on the tactical weakness of the opposition and will prioritize that over any brand of football for as long as it works. (Which his record of only 17 losses in 90 games at United suggests it does). To expect otherwise is an insult to Jose. Yes, he whines a lot and does not fit in with the values of the club, but I'll reiterate Woodward & co knew what they were getting into when they appointed Mourinho. His transfers have not all worked out for sure, but the attitudes of some leaves a dreadfully sour taste in the mouth. Regardless of how talented Pogba is, he's disrespected the club, the fans, and himself in his lack of effort and attitude, his social media posts earlier just epitomizes this. Pogba should be next out the door.

13. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I still believe @cr7torossi 's assessment was correct

JM was a good fireman option to get the club back into the CL

But his time frame should have been 2 years and as a transition to a younger, more dynamic manager and with a DOF structure

Instead the 2 years Jose bought have been wasted, and now a 3rd failed year with prospect of yet another rebuild

jnielsen, Futbol_Head and thenamestsam repped this.
  14. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You're a giant ********ing hypocrite to make such a claim about sacking him pre season. Unbelievable.

MizzouMUFC and benni... repped this.
  15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pogba, at the very least, deserves to be given the benefit of the doubt and see how he performs under another manager.
    He's had plenty of success with pretty much every manager he played under and judging him based on his relationship with Mourinho, who notoriously hates players like him and desperately tried to change him, is completely shortsighted. That's the nice way to put this.
    If Pogs does not show significant improvement as soon as the coming months, then by all means, sell him. But it way too early and even out of order to make that claim now.

16. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I interpreted the Pogba tweet as him being held back in the type of player he was.

#heretocreate

17. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Today is a fantastic, and overdue, day. That said, tomorrow the club is still in extremely rough shape. 6 years now since we've had any kind of cohesive and competent structure, and it shows all over the club, but particularly in the quality of the squad. That does not absolve any blame from Mou, who has done an awful job over the last 12 months since we peaked at the start of his 2nd year, but firing him is a bandaid on a bullet hole of the wounds of the club.

In my estimation we have about the 4th or 5th best squad in the league, not good enough to seriously compete for the league title, let alone anything bigger than that. That's a fixable problem of course, but the more concerning part is there's nobody at the club qualified to bring in the players needed, or to set the philosophy that would shape the recruitment. All of those issues go back to Woodward and until that problem is solved by the appointment of a DoF I remain deeply concerned about the overall trajectory, regardless of the short term victory of being free of Mou.

jnielsen repped this.
  18. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Will he be able to help himself?

19. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ding dong, the witch is gone.

Father Ted repped this.
  20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By all accounts, a DoF is very much in the cards. We've seen the brief of how Woodward and Mourinho appeared to be at loggerheads in this issue. Besides the obvious poor results and atmosphere around the team, that surely has to be a contributing factor for his dismissal.
    More optimistic than ever that a DoF figure is coming: the question now is who. Woodward still very much has the power, no matter what and I never bought the talk that he was opposed to bringing a DoF for fear of losing it. Especially when he was the one who made the announcement: he's still the man in charge. He's finally going to delegate some of his responsibilities, is all. As he should have done a long time ago tbh.

21. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Minus the egregious issues, there are parallels to Bobby Knight...young genius that doesn’t age well.

He should hang up a shingle to get championship teams to the PL and then go back and do it for another team.

Could be very lucrative and nobody has to deal with him for more than a year.

22. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Incorrect. You appoint Mourinho to win league titles and\or Champions leagues. Something he has done at every other club he has been at within 2 years. He failed miserably here, and never even came close to challenging for the important trophies.

benni..., J'can and thenamestsam repped this.
  23. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    One of the biggest lingering questions for me of Mou's reign is why we didn't see the expected year 2 spike in results. I think we all expected it to probably come tumbling down in year 3 (which is why the contract extension remains the most baffling moment of his tenure), but we expected him to get us back to winning things before that, and last year was the big disappointment for me after a satisfactory first year (at least from a results standpoint).

For one thing, early in the year it did seem like we were on track for that - it was certainly the best period we've seen post-Fergie, and through when Pogba got hurt we did look like potential title contenders. Second, I do wonder if we'd see last season differently but for the fact that (as much as it pains me to say it) the City team we were up against was one of the best sides of the premier league era. If we had been up against a contending field more like the ones of several years earlier when all our rivals were weak as well we might have at least been in the title race last year. Might have at least changed the perception somewhat.

24. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    City have 2 good players at every position and this is exactly how Pep operates.. He need 2 elite players