Confirmed and Official - Welcome to Old Trafford José Mourinho

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ********ing Buttner!!!
    I think I mentioned Bellion today and meant Obertan those two somehow are the same person in my head. I'd COMPLETELY wiped Buttner off my hard drive though. LMAO.

MizzouMUFC repped this.
  3. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    MOTM 14 times though

Naboomagnoli, MizzouMUFC and johno repped this.
  4. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

cachundo repped this.
  5. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    in a day when average defenders cost £30m and prices are generally egregious that's not a huge sum to pay to move on.

probably a lack of a plan and obvious replacement are keeping him here for now

LA. MAN UNITED repped this.
  6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3556 Ashur, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Interesting figure, as it's twice the one quoted over the summer (£14mil). Really curious as to which is the actual one.
    But if this 29mil is legit, and that's still just a drop in the bucket compared to what the club brings in, then it's no surprise that Woodward may be dragging his feet on this. Still worth it though when thinking of potential repercussions.
    Woodward is a numbers cruncher first and foremost and it's from that perspective he thinks and acts. Would love to find confirmation for that though, if possible.

7. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think any sane assessment of the situation counts that loss and moves on.

Losing the CL revenue and the damage to club reputation might be bearable, but losing the likes of Pogba, Martial, maybe alienating De Gea etc is a much bigger cost. Attracting talent like that without CL football isn't easy and if we continue like we are doing we will lose on the pitch and in the spreadsheets.

Naboomagnoli and jnielsen repped this.
  8. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Even after we dug out the win, nothing should change in Woody's thinking as to whether or not to upgrade to Zidane. If it was never in the cards for Woodhead to sack the special one, even if we took a beatdown at the hands of a relegation-bound club, so be it and we plod on.

Best to get on with it now.

Not that it should make much of a difference, but even if we will JoMo 29m I have to believe that the contract isn't structured as a single payout but instead in regular installments over the duration of the contract (as though he were still an employee) and it has to be the case that once we takes another managerial position, national team or whatever, the contract ends.

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Zidane agent watershed united rumours. He said english football not his style of play and he wont be managing until next season. Probably looking for PSG job and it will definitely suit him give the pool of talent they have .. there is no way Juve will fire Allegri. Niko aint doing any good with Bayern and they probably may sack him and will appoint as usual Heynckes till end of the season then who knows who takes over. So possibly next season Zidane may have 3 options.

https://thefootballfaithful.com/zidane-not-interested-in-manchester-united-job-says-his-agent/

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mourinho chooses to ramp up the siege mentality at United.

www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/10/07/even-chaotic-manchester-united-victory-jose-mourinho-chooses/

For a guy who is supposed to be so smart and savvy (and has proved to be so in the past), some of his choices are real head scratchers at time.
    One would think that after this past weekend's game, it would be a time for positivity and not try to egg the press even more, throwing words like 'wickedness or manhunt'.
    As he should know very well by now: when you take on the press, in general they'll be the winners. This shows btw how truly special SAF was, because he took on the press head on and he definitely did not lose...

12. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Neville is pissing me off, He is Backing jose and pleading to give him time to build his squad like klopp or Fergie when we went 3 seasons without a title and all journos started bragging he should have retired seasons ago and fergie is finished... I have nothing aganst Jose but its his style of play and pessimistic attitude that he carries which spoils and spread like a cancer in dressing room.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/neville...verpool-model-offer/7umd8segdd621jlcylnb3u9mq

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3563 Ashur, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    The only things that are vexing when it comes to GNev is that he is stuck in an era that is gone now (long standing managers who stick at one club for a very long time). The fact that he played under SAF his whole career clearly has had an effect on him, but that's simply not how things work anymore. And he needs to get hip to that.
    There's that, but also he can't acknowledge that Mourinho (just like Moyes and to an extent van Gaal) are all wrong for the club in the sense that neither are a match to the club's traditions. Hiring them in the first place was wrong, so with time clearly proving it was a mistake and with the results supporting it, there is no sense to keep someone in place then.
    The difference with Klopp and Pool, is that eventhough he's had issues winning trophies, but it's clear he's building something, with the team improving year after year under his stewardship. And they're doing so, following the football traditions of the club of playing attacking, entertaining football. The same can't be said of Mourinho at United: we're clearly regressing and our football is insipid. That's what GNev fails to realize here and why Mourinho has to go. The sooner the better...
    Everything else he said however, especially in terms of how the club is run, is absolutely spot on. However misguided and stubborn his opinions may be,we can't deny they come from a good place. There is no doubting his love for the club: he'd bleed for it...

14. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    The Game has changed on the touchline and on the pitch but Jose's thinking hasn't.

15. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Ashur is spot on. Couldnt have said it any better ..

16. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  17. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We actually have every reason to sack Jose now and not wait until season's end. We're already out of the running for the EPL trophy, have no realistic chance at the CL trophy and no one gives an eff about the FA Cup. So in a very real sense this season is already shot.

Can Zidane be talked into it? I have to believe it's not out of the question. Is Zidane the greatest manager on the planet? Perhaps not, but his resume is second to none that I'm aware of.

The prudent course is to understand start building for next season which means stop the bleeding now with a manager who has proven himself on the biggest stage and has the credibility to bring in top players and get them to play proper football.

18. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Phil Neville is a bit of an idiot. He says Jose is the right man, but then says:

19. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If you don't qualify for Champions League, it may cost you more than 29 mill.

They are probably waiting to do it in the middle of international match week and/or Zizou gets a work permit.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mourinho is not the man to take United forward - Chris Surton

www.bbc.com/sport/football/45792760

Mourinho still has his backers (who, as opposed to how many is still what surprises me the most). But it's obvious to the majority of reporters, pundits and fans that his time is up.
    It's inevitable now.

21. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm pretty sure that he won't be replaced now. They would have done it by now if they were going to do it soon.

They also won't fire him after losing to Chelsea and Juventus. I do think that he might get shitcanned after we get eliminated in the group stages, particularly if we are also doing shit in the league. I'm sure there are some provisions for less of a payout if we fail to qualify for the knockout stages and maybe also that may be compounded by position in the league at the same time. That's what I would do.

22. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The problem is the veering between long term and short term thinking - which reveals the lack of any genuine strategic approach

Moyes was supposed to be long term but then had to be sacked because he was awful.

That meant LvG as a fireman - but instead of being a short transition to something, he needed to be sacked with Jose coming in as fireman

Jose did that successfully, but then the same mistake was made again. Instead of using his first two years that steadied the ship as the breathing space to create the right structures etc, the club simply drifted. So now you are right back in the same old place.

23. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Gary Neville flip flopped because of the win as for Phil i'm not surprised he's supporting Mourihno

24. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    They all hate Woody and want him out

Anonymous_United repped this.
  25. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Well of course old footballers would side with a manager over a business guy.