Confirmed and Official - Welcome to Old Trafford José Mourinho

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    do i believe them is another question.

what you see on the field reflects nothing of the above

2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A pretty decent analysis, but given the limitations of time and space, it was always going to leave out some key elements as to why/how our season went sideways in midseason, when City pulled away and we never fully recovered from the letdown that City's 9th finger being wrapped around the prem trophy did to the psyche of the players. And the manager.

Everyone knows we started the season brilliantly, taking the machete to clubs like Swansea and West Ham, clubs we were supposed to beat but beating them four-nil more that satisfied expectations.

But we were dealt a bad blow when Pogba went down with injury. He's our best outfield player and had begun to show the swagger that the club paid 80m+ for. The absence of Carrick and the buffoonery of Fellaini and Pereira's exile made Pogba's absence intolerable and we immediately began to wobble.

But Martial never consistently hit a high gear, which resulted in putting much of the scoring burden on Lukaku. Romelu is a fine striker but he's going to deliver 20-25 goals, not 35-40 goals. Without a reliable second scoring option, we scored too few goals and dropped too many stupid points.

That's probably enough for now. Mourinho must shoulder much of the blame for our defeat to Sevilla but as far as the prem goes the absence of Pogba was a massive setback, Martial's patchy form was a setback and in any event we just didn't have the overall quality City, which amassed an incredible 100 points, had. Apart from De Gea, I can't think of another United player who would walk in as a starter for City. Maybe Pogba, but maybe not.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Naboomagnoli repped this.
  9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3034 Ashur, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
    Jermaine Jenas slams Mourinho hard over his use of Rashford.

www.metro.co.uk/2018/05/19/manchester-united-boss-jose-mourinho-enjoys-watching-marcus-rashford-fail-says-jermaine-jenas-7558767/

That's why I was really hoping to see us play 3-5-2 yesterday. Thought it would almost be a foregone conclusion, if Lukaku was out. It should be common knowledge by now, especially after the recent Brighton game, that Rashford is not a target man. But he is a forward who will work hard and thrive on movement and on his speed to stretch out defenses. He's not like Lukaku and going to weigh on defenses or play with his back to the goal.
    Playing him alongside Lingard, Martial or even Sanchez so they can play off another would have been probably caused Chelsea's defense far more problems. How Mourinho could not see that, when this is how he beat that team when we lost our target man then (Zlatan) is just mind boggling if we're being honest...

10. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    U16, you're a man of reason here. I have two questions for you:

First, is not common for young players to have what we Americans call a "sophomore slump"?

Second, is it Mourinho's fault the Rashford missed on three glorious chances and that Pogba missed a header from point blank range while completely unmarked?

Our finishing, apart from Lukaku, has been woeful this season. Not disappointing but woeful. No, we didn't create dozens of chances yesterday but we created more than enough to have scored at least three goals and on a great finishing day five goals -- without Lukaku.

I haven't read the stat sheet from the FA Cup final but whatever it says there's no question that Rashford had a great look on goal on three occasions (and I'm not counting the whiff at the end of the first half) and that Pogba was unmarked and had a clean header opportunity.

I'm open to the thesis that Mourinho has destroyed our ability to finish on glorious chances, but I can't imagine how Mourinho would go about doing that. What could he have done in training, in his man management or his tactics to have robbed the ability of Rashford, Martial or Pogba of their ability to finish on great chances this season?

(Ok, three questions.)

11. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Maybe he could have just played Rashford & Martial more regularly in their best positions and pogba in a 4-3-3 more often ? :sneaky:

doubletrouble repped this.
  12. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Could have, but that would have involved leaving either Lukaku or Sanchez on the bench.

In general, I think it's beyond debate that Lingard has been more effective this season than Rashford. And probably even Martial.

A manager, it seems to me, has to go with players in form. Lukaku has done his job this season. Lingard has been in form, although at times he reverts to what we home-gamers believe is his natural squad player level such as yesterday.

Sanchez is the mystery man since his arrival. His form has been such that, absent his reputation, he should have been dropped to the bench for the FA Cup. But he is who he is, so he got the start...and stank it up again. As have Rashford and Martial for most of this season.

13. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Rashford & Martial were in good form before sanchez came. Their form went down after jose replaced martial with sanchez on the left.

doubletrouble and Naboomagnoli repped this.
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3039 Ashur, May 20, 2018
    Jose Mourinho turning Manchester United into dinosaurs?

Henry Winter's point is one of the most important one that was made in this vid IMO. Mourinho is not finished yet, but he needs to look inwards and figure some things out, in order to really improve United next season.
    The comments about his man management also are spot on. It can't always be stick and he has to know when to soften his approach at times, something he's clearly failing miserably in.
    The great coaches, regardless of the sport, are the ones who learned to adapt their ways at certain times, in order to improve themselves and the teams they coached. SAF, for instance, was a master at this and that's why he was able to successfully take on multiple and different challengers over the course of his career.

15. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Do you think United is the place for him to carry on though? He is not done but I don't think here is where "more" will come from him. He will remain "done" as long as he remains at United.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may seem that way, but we honestly can't say for sure. It's up to him when it's all said and done. Mourinho is a good football coach, but as mentioned, it's vital for him to do some soul searching and look at his ways and ultimately recognize that he needs to tweak some things about his general approach. If he can't/won't do that, it's not hard to see that he and the team could implode next season.
    That's why also I hope with Rui Faria's departure, he will take that chance to do a shake up in his staff, as the vid suggests, by either giving Carrick a big place and voice or by bringing in an assistant who can provide something different to his methods and pushes for more positivity, especially offensively, as we have some serious talent in attack.
    I would love McKenna, our U18 coach to be that guy. It's bold, but having watched the U18s quite a bit in the past couple of years since he arrived, he could be an inspired choice. That team under him, truly plays the United way and our offensive talents are given full license and freedom to express themselves. That team does not play down to the level of the opposition, but assert themselves and play their game. And they've been very successful. McKenna (plus Carrick) would be perfect additions to the coaching staff.

17. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I disagree with the assertion that Martial and Rashford were in good form this season before Alexis arrived, but I don’t deny that both have been dire since his arrival.

Fukk...if only we could have swiped Ozil and not Sanchez. We’re missing the qualities Ozil would have brought. And with the arrival of Ozil, I have to believe that Martial would have pulled it together.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Specifically Martial. He was back on the up, on course to repeat the sort of scoring run he had at the start of the season. Part of our management team's mantra of nurturing the green shoots of player confidence by putting on hobnail boots and stamping them back in to the soil, to the sound of bad piano playing.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3045 Ashur, May 20, 2018
    When it's all said and done, the likes of Martial, Lingard and Rashford all seriously stepped it up this season and contributed their fare in our offensive output. It might have been inconsistent at times, but we also need to point out that neither of 3 got uncontested regular spots on the team, like some of others on the team.
    But last season, our second scorer behind Zlatan was Mata and he arely clocked 9 goals. Whereas this season, behind Lukaku who is our undisputed CF (and who played in just about every single game without fail), Lingard, Martial and Rashford all reached double figures in scoring this year.
    Rashford's finishing betrayed him (and the team as a whole) Saturday, but finishing has not been the problem this season, so much as chance creation. A department where Martial was on fire in right prior to Sanchez's arrival, as he was clocking assists left and right.
    We'll never know what kind of season he would have had, had he retained his place on the team after February, but a minimum of 15 goals and 10 assists would definitely be not just possible but likely. For a guy who only enjoyed a short run as a starter for us this season (after starting the year as a high impact sub), Martial has made the most of it, doing very well to rebound from a very poor season last term. And it stands to reason he is just getting started as well...

21. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    He's going to be amazing when he signs for a better team this summer.

22. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    When we drop points, which has been the case too often this season, it's usually the case that our finishing has been the problem -- not chance creation.

Our season conversion rate I'm sure is decent. As was our season -- 2nd in the league, CL knockout round and FA Cup final. But when things went wrong, as they did yesterday, our bane was finishing.

Let me repeat what no one denies here -- Rashford's finishing betrayed him (and the team as a whole) in the FA Cup final against Chelsea, a side we dominated but failed to beat because we could not convert on our chances.

Whether it's Rashford, Martial, or Pogba, those three players all have to be disappointed in their end product this season. They all had moments, those massive performances we can't forget but tend obscure because of their one-off brilliance. We know these players have it in them but none of them have performed consistently well this season.

Rashford can be excused for the inevitable sophomore slump. Martial, on the hand, has no excuses. Last season he was adrift due to his dreadful personal situation, but there is no such excuse this season. Pogba was played out of position for most of the season but when given the chance to lead yesterday, he failed to lead. He had a bullet header opportunity that he wasted and otherwise was okay but fairly anonymous.

And Sanchez was in horror form yesterday. Yet we somehow dominated Chelsea between the boxes, but they knew that without Lukaku we had no goal scorer.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jose has reportedly had to shut his Instagram account down because of the torrent of abuse he's received after yesterday's loss.
    I guess it was all from here, since apparently this is the only place that has any complaints about the team underperforming under Mourinho...
    On a seperate note, it sucks that he had to do this, especially to avoid abuse that was apparently very bad. Being disappointed, hurt or angry is completely understandable, but there are lines you simply can not cross, no matter what...

United 16 repped this.
  24. halfnhalf89

halfnhalf89 Member+

Aug 19, 2008
    Its not just fans criticizing Mou, you got espn, the daily mail, and the guardian ragging on him for his ineffective style of play.

I still believe Van Gaal deserved one more season.

25. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    On what grounds?